Skip to main content

I'm reading about and watching all these stories about the Mexican students all over the country protesting these proposed immigration laws.. And it looks like they have come out the woodworks like crazy..

Now my question is this.. Have blacks in this country been zapped by whatever forces you want to identify into not protesting anymore? We dont protest on a darn thing anymore it seems like.. Let me make it known that I am not perfect by no means and I dont protest or contest every issue which affects us.. But I have wrote letters and participated in protests.. Have we been that zapped..

I look at these Mexicans and it seems to me that they still have the protest spirit which has probably always been present in there native country.. But I guess ours was taken away from us?? Is anyone else seeing this..
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

No, I wouldn't say we've been zapped by anything. We've merely become complacent. Those issues that existed when we were marching no longer exist ... and most importantly, nobody's telling us to do so. At least, nobody we listen to, anyway. Roll Eyes

One interesting thing I've been heard from several people that I've talked to in L.A. is that a lot of those protesters are young (16-mid 20's) and have no idea what they're really protesting about. Eek They're out there because they're been told to do so by their "elders" and leaders and that's all they really need to know.

Be that as it may, I think it's awesome the numbers they are able to pull together. They think much less of self than we do and have a loyalty to family and community that we lost with integration.

And if they EVER get to know what they are doing and what they want .... well, we all better learn to speak Spanish! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by EbonyRose:

One interesting thing I've been heard from several people that I've talked to in L.A. is that a lot of those protesters are young (16-mid 20's) and have no idea what they're really protesting about. Eek They're out there because they're been told to do so by their "elders" and leaders and that's all they really need to know.


I suspect that most of these kids (many of whome are US citizens) really do know what they are protesting about. What really sparked this was the House Immigration Bill HR 4437, which would Criminalize a whole class of people, including their parents.

That seems like a pretty good motivation to march to me. There have been protests by immigrants in the past, but these marches aparently dwarf past marches. But their families and communities are under attack by this bill. Whole communities of people are about to be defined as Criminals, for what is now a Civil Offense on par with a traffic violation, if this bill passes.

I suspect that if there were a bill under consideration that would Criminalize speeders by redefining it from a Civil Offense to an Aggravated Felony, you would see huge marches of leadfoots, too.
quote:
Originally posted by EbonyRose:
No, I wouldn't say we've been zapped by anything. We've merely become complacent. Those issues that existed when we were marching no longer exist ... and most importantly, nobody's telling us to do so. At least, nobody we listen to, anyway. Roll Eyes

One interesting thing I've been heard from several people that I've talked to in L.A. is that a lot of those protesters are young (16-mid 20's) and have no idea what they're really protesting about. Eek They're out there because they're been told to do so by their "elders" and leaders and that's all they really need to know.

Be that as it may, I think it's awesome the numbers they are able to pull together. They think much less of self than we do and have a loyalty to family and community that we lost with integration.

And if they EVER get to know what they are doing and what they want .... well, we all better learn to speak Spanish! Big Grin


I agree. We always second guess ourselves as well. Hell, if its not worth fighting for, its not worth having! We've gotten too comfortable and if we don't get uncomfortable, we'll find ourselves exactly where we don't want to be.
Whole communities of people are about to be defined as Criminals, for what is now a Civil Offense on par with a traffic violation, if this bill passes.---ricardomath

This is off-topic, but...

Changing the rules is not right.

The illegals have to get within thedmselves within the law.

And...protesting American legislation under a foreign flag,

In a foreign land,

Is wrong.

No matter how it is spun.


PEACE

Jim Chester
I said somewhere else that I can't imagine what it would take to put African Americans in the streets today.

Katrina wasn't enough.

I think that was because the direct perpetrator was mother nature.

The social transgression was one of omission.

The unequal protection of the Voting Rights Act has proven to not be enough.

Most African Americans don't know what is happening, and even when told many don't understand.

And...even when understood, that remainder doesn't care.

What else is there?

Well there is that always handy long list of 'alligators' living in the swamp we refuse to drain that we like to point to.

We all know the list:

Prisons
The Criminal Justice System
The Education System
Banking and Finanacial Practices
Hip-Hop
Etc.

None of them have 'put us in the streets'.

'Zapped' is one of the symptoms of the condition Dr. DeGruy-Leary has named Post-traumatice Slave Syndrome.

We so 'used to it' we don't know what to fix.

Our illustrious Congressional Black Caucus is supporting Jesse Jackson, Jr's misguided H.R. 29 seeking a constitutional amendment to achieve voting rights protection.

DUMB!!!!!!

PEACE

Jim Chester
quote:
Originally posted by James Wesley Chester:
I said somewhere else that I can't imagine what it would take to put African Americans in the streets today.

Katrina wasn't enough.

I think that was because the direct perpetrator was mother nature.

The social transgression was one of omission.

The unequal protection of the Voting Rights Act has proven to not be enough.

Most African Americans don't know what is happening, and even when told many don't understand.

And...even when understood, that remainder doesn't care.

What else is there?

Well there is that always handy long list of 'alligators' living in the swamp we refuse to drain that we like to point to.

We all know the list:

Prisons
The Criminal Justice System
The Education System
Banking and Finanacial Practices
Hip-Hop
Etc.

None of them have 'put us in the streets'.

'Zapped' is one of the symptoms of the condition Dr. DeGruy-Leary has named Post-traumatice Slave Syndrome.

We so 'used to it' we don't know what to fix.

Our illustrious Congressional Black Caucus is supporting Jesse Jackson, Jr's misguided H.R. 29 seeking a constitutional amendment to achieve voting rights protection.

DUMB!!!!!!

PEACE

Jim Chester
when the white legalize lynching of blackmen!! what NO that will not be enough, how about making it legal to kill every black new born. nope that will not be enough we will never protest for US every again we are just DAMN happy being where are helpless.
CLICK AFRIKA!!
quote:
Originally posted by Fine:
These Mexican students have a "sense of unity" that Blacks never fully had a chance to nurture nor develop on this rock called AmeriKKKa.

Consciously and subconsciously I believe the 99 laws that "kept us in our place" still lurk invisibly.... hij ....behind the scenes.


same thing which I am thinking as well. I hope when can get this back somehow, way, shape, or form.

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×