My prefernce is an old fashion women to an extent. Proud of African American/West Indian/Black African traditions in food and culture. One who is from a Black neighborhood. One who doesn't subscribe to feminism, relativism, multiculturalism or any other white liberal movements. I think a good women is well read. Ambitious and community orientated. I do not attend church nor am I religious but I find religious women - particularly Baptist and AME members, I suppose Apostolic/Holiness/Pentecostal too unfortunately- tend to have these traits most frequent
I don't think there's anything I'd want in a black woman that I wouldn't want in a woman generally. I'm not going to be MORE exacting in my requirements of a black woman. If anything, I'd be more exacting in a non-black woman... as in, if I'm gonna get with YOU and deal with the interracial stuff, girl, you GOTZ to come correct!

As for what I would want in a woman, I will incorporate this prior description,, which hasn't changed since I first posted it.
I like Vox's list. For some reason, it's extremely important to me that any woman I'm involved with also like Indian restaurants and dig similar music. lol

And I also like this from the parallel thread:

quote:

For me, it's not so much a matter of what I want differently from a black man, as it is what I get differently from a black man.


I didn't mean to convey the idea that one brings different expectations of what a person does for you ... but rather a different experience of what they are to you. What we are includes our history and knowledge of the world.

That commonality is very important to me. There are things I get from a black woman (a southern black woman in particular) that I don't see elsewhere. It's what I know.

Which is strange because though it attracts me there are also aspects against which I've rebelled.

Maybe I'm looking for a woman who is brilliant, slightly eccentric, but a southern black girl to the bone!?! Eek

She needs to know something about sweet potato pie and chicken livers. 19

More later. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by HonestBrother:
What does that mean?

I favor brown skinned women, in the physical sense. But the qualities are all relative.

For instance, the more physically attractive I find a woman the less intellectual she has to be (but I am good with pretty and intellectual). I am willing lower my desire for physically attractive in direct proportion to a corresponding increase of sweetness. But too much sweetness can get on your nerves, so she needs to be able to be passionate enough as well. I would like a woman who is quick to smile, kinda silly, but able to encourage me to step up when it is the right thing to do, even it if it is not what I want to do. A woman who tries not to offend me, loves me enough to protect me, even from myself and in a way that makes me smile when I see her.
It is all kinda gooey.


In other words, it is a matter of 'clicking'. Once in a great while I come across women like that.
quote:
Originally posted by Wiz:
quote:
Originally posted by HonestBrother:
What does that mean?

I favor brown skinned women, in the physical sense. But the qualities are all relative.

For instance, the more physically attractive I find a woman the less intellectual she has to be (but I am good with pretty and intellectual). I am willing lower my desire for physically attractive in direct proportion to a corresponding increase of sweetness. But too much sweetness can get on your nerves, so she needs to be able to be passionate enough as well. I would like a woman who is quick to smile, kinda silly, but able to encourage me to step up when it is the right thing to do, even it if it is not what I want to do. A woman who tries not to offend me, loves me enough to protect me, even from myself and in a way that makes me smile when I see her.
It is all kinda gooey.


In other words, it is a matter of 'clicking'. Once in a great while I come across women like that.


Smile Smile Smile

very nice ...
quote:
Originally posted by Afro Saxon:
My prefernce is an old fashion women to an extent. Proud of African American/West Indian/Black African traditions in food and culture. One who is from a Black neighborhood. One who doesn't subscribe to feminism, relativism, multiculturalism or any other white liberal movements. I think a good women is well read. Ambitious and community orientated. I do not attend church nor am I religious but I find religious women.....tend to have these traits most frequent


Smile

My g'ma would have jumped up and hugged you for that....lol; especially with regard to the 'Indian' reference since WE are expected to 'conveniently' forget about that part of ourselves if we have that element within us (lest we be accused of not being comfortable with "JUST BEING BLACK")....

LOL....

My son made a comment this evening with regard to an "Indian" term...and I had to school him on how he used the term and how his "maw maw" would be on his behind if she ever heard him being so disrespectful to that part of our heritage.

Then he straightened up.....

"Wisdom Is A Woman Pleased!"
quote:
Originally posted by Afro Saxon:
My prefernce is an old fashion women to an extent. Proud of African American/West Indian/Black African traditions in food and culture. One who is from a Black neighborhood. One who doesn't subscribe to feminism, relativism, multiculturalism or any other white liberal movements.


Ok, you do realize that you named a preference for multiple cultures in your response, don't you? African, West Indian, and African American are three different cultural groups, and even within these cultural groups, there are multiple cultural and ethnic differences. So, why wouldn't you appreciate a woman who embraces multiculturalism, specifically cultures that are different from her own?
quote:
Originally posted by ShayaButHer:
My son made a comment this evening with regard to an "Indian" term...and I had to school him on how he used the term and how his "maw maw" would be on his behind if she ever heard him being so disrespectful to that part of our heritage.


That's great Shay! I think it's very important to raise culturally sensitive and culturally informed children.
quote:
Originally posted by Rowe:
quote:
Originally posted by Afro Saxon:
My prefernce is an old fashion women to an extent. Proud of African American/West Indian/Black African traditions in food and culture. One who is from a Black neighborhood. One who doesn't subscribe to feminism, relativism, multiculturalism or any other white liberal movements.


Ok, you do realize that you named a preference for multiple cultures in your response, don't you? African, West Indian, and African American are three different cultural groups, and even within these cultural groups, there are multiple cultural and ethnic differences. So, why wouldn't you appreciate a woman who embraces multiculturalism, specifically cultures that are different from her own?


Why go out of your way to specifically pursue any type of black man/woman if he/she is all up in everybody else's culture anyway?

The question is intended half seriously by the way (tongue in cheek really) ... On the one hand I see your point as I value cultural diversity myself. But on the other, it's not a bad question actually (when thought about a certain way) ... might be another thread topic ...
quote:
Originally posted by HonestBrother:
Why go out of your way to specifically pursue any type of black man/woman if he/she is all up in everybody else's culture anyway?

The question is intended half seriously by the way (tongue in cheek really) ... On the one hand I see your point as I value cultural diversity myself. But on the other, it's not a bad question actually (when thought about a certain way) ... might be another thread topic ...


The point is, it's truly ignorant on Afro Saxon's part to express a disdain for women who embrace multiculturalism just after telling us that he prefers women who belong to three of the most culturally-diverse groups on the planet. That makes no sense. I mean, come on, West Indian, African, AFRICAN AMERICAN, of all people, you can't get any more culturally diverse than that. These people's lineages have been dispersed all over the place and throughout the Diaspora. It absolutely amazes me that in this day and time, with all the information that is readily available about culture and cultural diversity, that a person is still thinking with such a parochial mindset.
quote:
Originally posted by Rowe:
quote:
Originally posted by HonestBrother:
Why go out of your way to specifically pursue any type of black man/woman if he/she is all up in everybody else's culture anyway?

The question is intended half seriously by the way (tongue in cheek really) ... On the one hand I see your point as I value cultural diversity myself. But on the other, it's not a bad question actually (when thought about a certain way) ... might be another thread topic ...


The point is, it's truly ignorant on Afro Saxon's part to express a disdain for women who embrace multiculturalism just after telling us that he prefers women who belong to three of the most culturally-diverse groups on the planet. That makes no sense. I mean, come on, West Indian, African, AFRICAN AMERICAN, of all people, you can't get any more culturally diverse than that. These people's lineages have been dispersed all over the place and throughout the Diaspora.


I can't speak for him... but perhaps he meant that he would like someone from any one of those cultures (or sub-cultures thereof) without intending to imply they were the same or indistinguishable.

Anyway ... what does it mean to "embrace multiculturalism"?



quote:

It absolutely amazes me that in this day and time, with all the information that is readily available about culture and cultural diversity, that people are still thinking with such a parochial mindset.



Which mindset?
quote:
Originally posted by Rowe:
quote:
Originally posted by HonestBrother:
Which mindset?


I suppose we'll know after Afro Saxon, if he decides to return to the site, tells us exactly what he means by multiculturalism.



I meant the mindset to which you were referring (regardless of whether or not it actually reflects Afro Saxon's own mindset).
I'm referring to a mindset that isn't informed about or appreciative of diverse cultures. Saxon mentioned that he prefers a woman who doesn't subscribe to multiculturalism, and the women that he prefers all belong to culturally- and linguistically-diverse groups.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
Post
×
×
×
×