Skip to main content

Survey Shows Most Blacks Favor Slavery Reparations

Wave Newspapers, News Report, Kevin Herrera, Oct 18, 2005

LOS ANGELES "” Eighty-nine percent of blacks believe the federal government should offer a combination of cash payments, debt forgiveness and social welfare programs to compensate for the devastating effects of slavery and racial segregation, according to a new survey released Tuesday.

Aimed at unifying a movement that has at times seemed fractured, the Reparations Survey, conducted by the Reparations Research and Advocacy Group, will be used to formulate an articulate platform on reparations that more accurately defines the desires of African-Americans. The platform would then be used in negotiations with the federal government and private corporations that profited from slave labor.

"It will be even more difficult than necessary to try and achieve reparations for black folk without asking black folk what they want," wrote David Horne, Ph.D., who started the survey in April 2002 while teaching Pan African Studies at Cal State Northridge. "In order to forge a unified national agenda on reparations, the credible results of a sound survey of the black American population is absolutely necessary."

Volunteers surveyed 6,680 blacks beginning in April 2002. Those who participated in the survey were between the ages of 17 and 80, with over 50 percent being between the ages of 35 and 55. The responses were collected at shopping malls, conferences, political rallies, churches, block club meetings and sporting events.

The survey was conducted in Atlanta, Kansas City, Chicago, Seattle, Portland, Ore., San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Houston, New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Columbia, S.C., and Jacksonville, Fla.

Each person surveyed was asked to answer 21 questions related to reparations for African Americans. Questions ranged from "Do you consider yourself an African American, a.k.a., black American?" to "Do you think that the idea of reparations for African Americans is an issue of justice long denied and overdue?" and "Should substantial financial assistance from the U.S. government to African Americans who want to leave this country to live in Africa be a part of any agreed-upon reparations?"

Respondents were also encouraged to write in their own ideas on how reparations should be paid, including restitution to those who invested in the Freedmen's Bureau Bank, which folded during the Reconstruction Era. Some have also called for incorporating more African-American history into school curriculum and providing more subsidies to black farmers.

As part of any reparations deal, 70 percent of blacks said the president should apologize on behalf of the federal government for the years of Jim Crow discrimination.

Seventy percent also favored a 50-year educational fund for all black youth, allowing them to attend the university of their choice if admitted.

Nearly 80 percent believe that achieving reparations will help heal the racial divide in this country and 80 percent believe that reparations will not make things worse for African Americans.

While the survey failed to ask whether or not blacks think whites should pay for reparations, 80 percent of those surveyed said white Americans, even though they did not own slaves, continue to be enriched from the unpaid labor of slaves.

Horne said volunteers will continue to conduct the survey until 50,000 or more people participate. That figure should be reached or exceeded by next fall, he said. Horne will be attending the Millions More Movement this weekend in Washington, D.C., where he will gather more responses.

© MBM

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Nmaginate:
And nobody cares, B-Nite...

There are people from here from those cities who apparently weren't asked either. People who do agree. So, really? The value of your comment was?


Simply that I disagree and that we need to get beyond talks of reparations. We are better than that. We can build ourselves up and we don't need to keep asking white people for something we aren't going to get.

An even better question is why are you coming at me with such negativity? We need to address each other better.
You could have address this thread and the topic "better" but you chose to be "negative"...

Don't complain when I follow suit and respond with underwhelm-ment at the typical BS with all the ridiculous underlying ideas in your posts.

Your type of rhetoric can be a whole lot better.

  • We need to get beyond talks of reparations.

    What does that mean? To "get beyond" reparations?

  • We are better than that.

    Hmmm.... This is not logically related to the idea that "we aren't going to get [Reparations]."

    Did you even read the quote header for this forum? Think on that for a bit and factor that information into your rhetoric and how you address "us" and this forum.

  • We can build ourselves up...

    And this is related to Reparations HOW?
    This is a counterargument to Reparations HOW?
    How is that idea of yours, which is not lost on anyone here... How Is It Mutually Exclusive to Reparations? How is Reparations, advocating/fighting for it, delaying or forsaking that idea?

    Simply, you are saying what you would prefer rather than Reparations. Nevertheless, proponents for Reparations, plenty if not all, are all about "building ourselves up" WITH or WITHOUT Reparations. That has always been the case.

    So what is your point?
    There is absolutely no idea that can be sustained that suggest, as you do, that Reparations is such an obsession or activity that renders Black people from being incapable of doing anything else in terms of "building themselves up". You logic simply does not follow.

    Since you like stereotypes... How about this one? Since Black folks are known to have good "rhythm"? What makes you feel as if "we" are not able to advocate for Reparations AND "build ourselves up"?

    I mean, please show how one absolutely can't be done while doing the other. Simply, what you're saying doesn't make sense. So while you're revealing what you agree and disagree with, tell us exactly why you are against Reparations. It simply can't be because it is "counterproductive" or time/effort consuming as to take away from "building" ourselves up.

    People balance work/business and their personal lives all the time. Explain how such a balance is not and cannot be achieved and maintained when it comes to Reparations and us "building ourselves up".

    Also, please tell us by what authority have you been called to "preach"... I would appreciate that. You know, since you're making all these rhetorical statements about what we "need" and don't need to do.

    But, beyond that... Your idea that "since we're not going to get it" runs counter to OUR history. I'm sure there were plenty of Black folks talking about "Ya'll slaves need to stop begging White people for freedom... you know they ain't gonna do it."

    So, again, I ask you: WHAT IS THE VALUE OF YOUR COMMENTS?

    I'm sure some Negroes, during Slavery and even during the heart of the Civil Rights Movement, were (with clear history as my witness) exactly what you're trying to: That We Are "Better Than" That. All proud and accepting of the racist status quo, resigned to do precious little in the way of showing enough self-respect as to not accept "NO" - i.e. their "place", their imposed condition, etc. - for an answer.

    Again, please reflect on the forum header quote.

    quote:
    An even better question is why are you coming at me with such negativity?
    Simply put, your "preaching", the condescension therein, is not at all "positive".

    We are "better than that", in your eyes because of what? Those of us who agree with Reparations, advocating for it are what then in your eyes?

    That's your NEGATIVITY. You certainly were not complimenting us.
  • quote:
    Originally posted by blacknite:
    We are better than that. We can build ourselves up and we don't need to keep asking white people for something we aren't going to get.


    Perhaps it's a matter of perception... others may see it as refusing to accept nothing, when we deserve so much for all that continues to be done to us as a whole. We aren't going asking, we are demanding.

    Can we do better than begging the white man, yes. And, we are, especially because no one is asking him for some of what he has, we are preparing to demand some of what we have helped to produce.

    Do we stop with that? Absolutely, not. There are those who will continue with their self-sustaining ways and attempt to spread the word (and deed).
    quote:
    Originally posted by Frenchy:
    Considering where they got the poll participants and the way the questions were posed, I'm not surprised at all (which is not to say that I think Black people don't favor Reparations). I'd be really interested to see a study of how white America feels.


    In spite of the professed 'understanding' heard in the 'halls of the 'liberal', the coin would flip to 89% against.

    I would be really interested to see a 100%-poll of the two houses of Congress.

    Anonymously of course.


    PEACE

    Jim Chester
    quote:
    Originally posted by Nmaginate:
    You could have address this thread and the topic "better" but you chose to be "negative"...

    Don't complain when I follow suit and respond with underwhelm-ment at the typical BS with all the ridiculous underlying ideas in your posts.

    Your type of rhetoric can be a whole lot better.

  • We need to get beyond talks of reparations.

    What does that mean? To "get beyond" reparations?

  • We are better than that.

    Hmmm.... This is not logically related to the idea that "we aren't going to get [Reparations]."

    Did you even read the quote header for this forum? Think on that for a bit and factor that information into your rhetoric and how you address "us" and this forum.

  • We can build ourselves up...

    And this is related to Reparations HOW?
    This is a counterargument to Reparations HOW?
    How is that idea of yours, which is not lost on anyone here... How Is It Mutually Exclusive to Reparations? How is Reparations, advocating/fighting for it, delaying or forsaking that idea?

    Simply, you are saying what you would prefer rather than Reparations. Nevertheless, proponents for Reparations, plenty if not all, are all about "building ourselves up" WITH or WITHOUT Reparations. That has always been the case.

    So what is your point?
    There is absolutely no idea that can be sustained that suggest, as you do, that Reparations is such an obsession or activity that renders Black people from being incapable of doing anything else in terms of "building themselves up". You logic simply does not follow.

    Since you like stereotypes... How about this one? Since Black folks are known to have good "rhythm"? What makes you feel as if "we" are not able to advocate for Reparations AND "build ourselves up"?

    I mean, please show how one absolutely can't be done while doing the other. Simply, what you're saying doesn't make sense. So while you're revealing what you agree and disagree with, tell us exactly why you are against Reparations. It simply can't be because it is "counterproductive" or time/effort consuming as to take away from "building" ourselves up.

    People balance work/business and their personal lives all the time. Explain how such a balance is not and cannot be achieved and maintained when it comes to Reparations and us "building ourselves up".

    Also, please tell us by what authority have you been called to "preach"... I would appreciate that. You know, since you're making all these rhetorical statements about what we "need" and don't need to do.

    But, beyond that... Your idea that "since we're not going to get it" runs counter to OUR history. I'm sure there were plenty of Black folks talking about "Ya'll slaves need to stop begging White people for freedom... you know they ain't gonna do it."

    So, again, I ask you: WHAT IS THE VALUE OF YOUR COMMENTS?

    I'm sure some Negroes, during Slavery and even during the heart of the Civil Rights Movement, were (with clear history as my witness) exactly what you're trying to: That We Are "Better Than" That. All proud and accepting of the racist status quo, resigned to do precious little in the way of showing enough self-respect as to not accept "NO" - i.e. their "place", their imposed condition, etc. - for an answer.

    Again, please reflect on the forum header quote.

    quote:
    An even better question is why are you coming at me with such negativity?
    Simply put, your "preaching", the condescension therein, is not at all "positive".

    We are "better than that", in your eyes because of what? Those of us who agree with Reparations, advocating for it are what then in your eyes?

    That's your NEGATIVITY. You certainly were not complimenting us.
  • You have some serious self esteem issues, dude. You have attacked me in every post and you seem to ramble and come off as self righteous and arrogant. People have their OWN opinions, they don't have to make their posts to fit YOUR personal interests. I can and will post what I feel, regardless if it is a popular opinion or not so learn to live with it.

    We are on the same side, we want whats best for our people so try to remember that when people post and stop being so quick to attack people.
    B-NITE,

    Attack that lack of support for you premise.
    Do that so my self-esteem can be made whole. Forget the side issues. Substantiate the stuff you said. Stop taking stuff personal when it's all about what you said and how you said it or rather how much you didn't establish.

    And just because "we are on the same side", when you're saying some stuff like "We Are Better Than That"... Again? What are you saying that's "positive" about the proponents of Reparations?

    Check that... then get back to me.

    If you don't like the way I responded to you.
    Check that... then get back to me.
    quote:
    Originally posted by Nmaginate:
    B-NITE,

    Attack that lack of support for you premise.
    Do that so my self-esteem can be made whole. Forget the side issues. Substantiate the stuff you said. Stop taking stuff personal when it's all about what you said and how you said it or rather how much you didn't establish.

    And just because "we are on the same side", when you're saying some stuff like "We Are Better Than That"... Again? What are you saying that's "positive" about the proponents of Reparations?

    Check that... then get back to me.

    If you don't like the way I responded to you.
    Check that... then get back to me.
    There is nothing positive about reparations, period. Now check yourself.
    quote:
    Originally posted by ddouble:
    quote:
    Originally posted by blacknite:
    There is nothing positive about reparations, period. Now check yourself.


    That's a BOLD statement - Can you please elaborate on why there is nothing positive about reparations?
    It's a pie in the sky thought to actually believe we will ever recieve them. It's more of us sounding like victims instead of the strong people that we are who understand that this country has always hated us and that we need to build everything we get for ourselves. Although in theory it's a good idea, it's too little way too late.
    Look I mean we've been asking for reparations for years. If we are 89% in favor of this, we need to set a time limit to our demand. Not just keep asking because there will never be a resolution, we'll stay in a loop.
    Secondly, in the meantime we can be working together on a way to get our just due by forming coaltions with the Carribbean, Africa and Latin American nations with significant populations of African descended people. As far as debt relief goes, if anyone knows anything on this subject, the only way that debt relief is being offered to African and Latin American nations is through TOTAL privization of every industry their countries. As a matter of fact I suggest that each of you all go to the World Bank's website and read up on their debt relief program, even do a google search on this topic.
    quote:
    If reparations are "too little," then what would be adequate? You don't seems to be at odds with the fact that Black America is owed something.
    And so he pokes holes in his own logic.

    B-Nite, you complained about "negativity" but again you seem to be okay with you giving off the negativity... That and you're pretty damn comfortable with not supporting, logically, a damn thing you've said.

    quote:
    It's more of us sounding like victims instead of the strong people...
    And so you're calling proponents of Reparations "WEAK". That's very "positive", I hope you know...

    quote:
    We... understand that this country has always hated us and that we need to build everything we get for ourselves.
    So you would either resign us to Manumission or just outright acceptance of either the station of Slavery or the second-class citizenship of post-Slavery/pre-Civil Rights America. Hmm... Which is pretty interesting. Because some very STRONG and PROUD Black People were instrumental in the dismantling of both of those Most Racist Regimes. But you, you would just resign us to merely "doing for ourselves" and not changing the very system that hampers us optimizing that very Do-For-Self and self-determination you espouse as if it exists and is uneffected by the large society and the way that society is ordered.

    quote:
    It's a pie in the sky thought to actually believe we will ever recieve them.
    And so said the slave who depreciated AGITATION against Slavery. So said the scared and/or proud (happy with his "place") Negro during Segregation.

    Now, certainly if our forebears in an age with there were much more reason due to the brutality (imposed with impunity) during those Most Racist Regimes could Do/Force The Impossible Regime Change in their time, when they had much more to lose (like with near certainty their life, etc.)... then, with that as a lesson, your SENTIMENTS (voiced without conviction) only show how comfortable you are with resigning to let that "hate" and disrespect to our peoplehood go.

    I believe one of the great lessons of the Civil Rights Movement was that challenging the established order was a very positive thing for the Black Soul. Now, they did that knowing full well that "White People HATED" them, in a way that was much more vivid and "real" then than it supposedly (and perhaps actually) is today. So what is the problem?

    I suggest that that same type of thing is a major part of what makes the fight for Reparations "positive".

    quote:
    As I have written previously, the greatest challenge in the national debate over African-American reparations is in convincing black people, not whites, that we can actually win. The greatest struggle of the oppressed is always against their own weaknesses, doubts, and fears. The reparations demand is most liberating because it has the potential for transforming how black people see themselves, and our own history.

    http://www.zmag.org/sustainers/content/2002-10/30marable.cfm
    Simply put, I agree with that logic and historically proven sentiment.

    The fact that you use the words "victims" with a negative connotation (when that's actually what reparations/restitution is about - compensating, restoring to "victims" what "they" have lost) shows how you have some very "NEGATIVE" attitudes that run counter to the spirit of some of the STRONGEST examples of Strong Black People in our history here.

    Now, check your "Foolish Pride" and other "they hate us" sentiments against that. Check it against the very history of the work and sacrifice of some very STRONG BLACK PEOPLE who have contributed to whatever it is you think we can and should do in terms of "building ourselves up".

    But still, you've never spoke to how fighting to change the system or placing demands on the system is either counterproductive to or mutually exclusive from "building ourselves up".

    Show your "self-esteem" and contend with that.

    quote:
    I can and will post what I feel, regardless if it is a popular opinion...
    As I have done with you. Now, why are you crying to me because you don't like the way I feel about what you have written, here or wherever?

    Take your own apparent advise:
    LEARN TO LIVE WITH IT.

    Also, as arrogantly as I can... Please, learn how to support your claims and contentions. Sweeping (and/or unsupported) statements will be CHECKED, btw.
    quote:
    Originally posted by Frenchy:
    quote:
    it's too little way too late.

    If reparations are "too little," then what would be adequate? You don't seems to be at odds with the fact that Black America is owed something.
    Actually I am at odds with the idea that black America is "Owed" something. I think the people that were owed died years ago. We are their decendants yes, but if you owe an enemy a debt and that enemy and their child dies without recieving any payment, what would make you want to pay off your debt to their grandchildren? In this case we are the grandchildren and the American government has always been an enemy to our people so if they didn't pay our great grandparents what they were owed what makes you think they would give it to us? This is just a general question, it's not directed at you.
    quote:
    Actually I am at odds with the idea that black America is "Owed" something. I think the people that were owed died years ago.
    Then that's what you "need" to have said from the Get-Go instead of all that "negative" *ish!

    I know I could give $$$$ what you think about someone who's a proponent of Reparations. But, we have you on record with that "negative" *ish. You think proponents of Reparations are essentially "WEAK".

    Speaking about that four-letter word in quotes above... (I'm trying Frenchy):
    quote:
    In this case we are the grandchildren and the American government has always been an enemy to our people so if they didn't pay our great grandparents what they were owed what makes you think they would give it to us?
    Once again, without me asking the value of your rhetorical question (which is almost inherently problematic): SO SAID THE SLAVE... SO SAID THE NEGRO.

    We can just substitute that emotion-born, Lack Of STRENGTH-and-Resolve laden SENTIMENT of yours like so:

    SLAVE:
  • If they didn't [free] our parents/grandparents, etc. what makes you think they [will free] us?

    NEGRO:
  • If they didn't [stop Jim Crow] for our parents/grandparents, etc. what makes you think they [will end it] for, because of us?


    Your view again butts up against, is complicated and CONTRADICTED by, a STRONG and POWERFUL (and proud) BLACK HISTORY of not resigning to those types of thoughts. Those type of non-centered, conviction lacking SENTIMENTS.
  • quote:
    Originally posted by blacknite:
    Actually I am at odds with the idea that black America is "Owed" something. I think the people that were owed died years ago. We are their decendants yes, but if you owe an enemy a debt and that enemy and their child dies without recieving any payment, what would make you want to pay off your debt to their grandchildren?


    That conclusion is not related to the first part of your comments.

    You are saying:
    1. Slaves were owed payment
    2. Their children were owed inheritance for what their parents did not receive
    3. Why would white people want to pay it to any future heirs?

    I'm not following your line of thinking. It seems to me that what white people would want to do (while somewhat important), is completely unrelated to whether or not Black people are owed Reparations.

    My thinking is:
    1. Slaves were owed payment
    2. Their children were owed inheritance for what their parents did not receive
    3. Their grandchildren were owed inheritance for what their grandparents did not receive

    And so forth. I understand that you don't think that actually receiving Reparations is likely, but I still don't see where you feel that Black people are not owed something separate and aside from that and whether or not any real or imagined statute of limitations has run out.

    quote:
    Speaking about that four-letter word in quotes above... (I'm trying Frenchy)


    I know! cabbage Wink

    Add Reply

    Post
    ×
    ×
    ×
    ×
    Link copied to your clipboard.
    ×