Skip to main content

South African lesbian soccer team makes it to Games


PlanetOut Network
Tue Jul 18, 7:37 PM ET

SUMMARY: Chosen Few, a lesbian soccer team from Johannesburg, arrives safely in Chicago despite visa problems and financial hardships.

African LGBT sports fans rejoiced Tuesday after learning that Chosen Few, a lesbian soccer team from South Africa, arrived safely in Chicago after weathering visa problems and financial hardships en route to the United States.

The final three players on the 19-member team arrived after the U.S. Embassy in Johannesburg finally expedited their visas, the South African LGBT Web site Behind the Mask reported Tuesday. They missed the Gay Games opening ceremonies, but arrived in time to play 1-1 in qualifying matches, to be held through Wednesday in Oak Park, Ill. Chosen Few won Monday's opening round against a Wisconsin team, then lost to Team Chicago, the Chicago Tribune reported.

The women are sponsored by Forum for the Empowerment of Women, a Johannesburg advocacy group for black lesbians. A Gay Games scholarship program paid their fare; a wealthy Chicago couple, Dick Uyvari and Joe La Pat, anted up many players' $106 visa application fee.

Player Penelope Nkosi, 23, of Gauteng province, told Behind the Mask that because she was unemployed she had to apply three times for a U.S. visa, and that documents from South Africa's minister of sports and Chicago Mayor Richard Daley finally were required to do the trick.

"They did not even bother to read the documentation and letters of support we had" on the first two attempts, Nkosi said. "They kept on asking us how can we afford this trip if we're not working. They did not want us there."

Forum for the Empowerment of Women estimates that nearly 60 percent of all women soccer players in South Africa are lesbian. The group campaigns heavily to improve opportunities in the women's event, which is nowhere near as entrenched in Africa as it is in the United States.

The group also sponsors "The Rose Has Thorns," targeting hate crimes against black lesbians, and was part of Johannesburg's hard-fought bid for the 2010 Gay Games, which will be held in Cologne, Germany.

Uyvari and La Pat, after learning the South Africans' hard-luck story, donated $75,000 to bring more international athletes to the Games.

"The idea of enabling people to have this experience they otherwise would not have is wonderful," Uyvari told the Tribune. Their gift helped enable Games organizers to subsidize 115 athletes from 22 countries, Games organizers said.

Medal rounds in soccer are scheduled for Friday at the University of Illinois-Chicago.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/po/20060718/co_po/safricanlesbi...erteammakesittogames

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Player Penelope Nkosi, 23, of Gauteng province, told Behind the Mask that because she was unemployed she had to apply three times for a U.S. visa, and that documents from South Africa's minister of sports and Chicago Mayor Richard Daley finally were required to do the trick.

"They did not even bother to read the documentation and letters of support we had" on the first two attempts, Nkosi said. "They kept on asking us how can we afford this trip if we're not working. They did not want us there."


Looks like the US Consolate in South Africa works much the same as they do in South America. If you are Black, don't expect them to even look at your documentation.

If you are Black and you make it into this country, expect to be labeled an "illegal". The law wasn't written with you in mind.
The destruction of culture, infusion of self hatred, dismantling and destabilization of family, the creeping of an individualistic mindset, AIDS, Pedophilia, Surge of prostitution, Racism, Religious discrimination, Drought, War, Rape,Poverty


There's much about Africa I think about and hope for to change....


The acceptance of a lesbian soccer team is not one of them....



Peace,
Virtue
quote:
Originally posted by ricardomath:
Not a big soccer fan, huh? It's alot more popular in other countries.

Innuendo is too complicated for you, huh?


I find your humor inappropriate to the spirit of my post.....

Your attempt to school me on the international popularity of soccer is not appreciated....

There seems to be a disconnect so I will be basic......

There are serious issues that we as Black people face globally.

My sisters and brothers in Africa are facing destruction...

in light of this.....

lightheartedness and the enjoyment of life is not forgotten....

no, games are a needed break from the harsh realities of life...

but when one wants to focus on a social problem, the exposure of females who fall upon one another compared to oh... I don't know....

child starvation, rape, War, drought, foreign manipulation, tyranny, disease etc... etc...

becomes a non issue...


Peace,
Virtue
Certainly time spent positively on any of these issues is much more valuable than time spent negatively in criticism of others for investing their time on another of these issues.

As for soccer, I'm not a big fan. In fact, I'm unlikely to watch unless Colombia is playing. And if Colombia is playing Mexico, for example, I'll go to the local Latino bar just to cheer on my favorites against the opposition. But it's more for the social occaision than any special love of the game.

Actually, I'm not much of a sports fan in general, to tell you the truth.
quote:
Originally posted by ricardomath:
Certainly time spent positively on any of these issues is much more valuable than time spent negatively in criticism of others for investing their time on another of these issues.


Certainly your arrogance eludes you....

indeed attempting to converse with a white man regarding his insensitivities is futile...

He just can't help himself...


Khalliqa
quote:
Originally posted by ricardomath:
Your time is valuable.

I hope that you will not allow threads that you judge to be of low importance, especially considering the futility, insensitivity and innappropiate humor of the ensuing discussion, to keep you from more important matters.

hug



Why thank you ricardo...

smile....


and you can go back to being irrelevant now....

girl


Blessings,
Khalliqa
quote:
Originally posted by virtue/Khalliqa:
quote:
Originally posted by ricardomath:
Your time is valuable.

I hope that you will not allow threads that you judge to be of low importance, especially considering the futility, insensitivity and innappropiate humor of the ensuing discussion, to keep you from more important matters.

hug



Why thank you ricardo...

smile....


and you can go back to being irrelevant now....

girl


Blessings,
Khalliqa


hit
Why must we continually rank our issues and pay attention only to those things someone else has deemed worthy?? There are Black gays and lesbians being beaten to death still today in 2006, right here in the USA in our major metropolitan areas. That is hardly more abstract an issue than random starving children somewhere in Africa. And if the starvation, war, etc is so "all-consuming" then what exactly are we doing writing on a message board when we could be out there actually doing something? Why are we bathing and brushing our teeth in the morning when we could be using that time to devote to tyranny and disease? We are more than capable of being concerned about a number of things at the same time.

It chaps my hide to hear people say things like "Don't focus on that. It's not important." Maybe to you.
quote:
Originally posted by Frenchy:
Why must we continually rank our issues and pay attention only to those things someone else has deemed worthy??


This is the nature of the human mind Frenchy.... we prioritize.... things get done this way, importance and worth are identified this way.....

come on sister...


quote:
There are Black gays and lesbians being beaten to death still today in 2006, right here in the USA in our major metropolitan areas. That is hardly more abstract an issue than random starving children somewhere in Africa.


random starving children??????????? Confused Confused

quote:
And if the starvation, war, etc is so "all-consuming" then what exactly are we doing writing on a message board when we could be out there actually doing something? Why are we bathing and brushing our teeth in the morning when we could be using that time to devote to tyranny and disease? We are more than capable of being concerned about a number of things at the same time.


you are assigning method.... and ignoring your initial argument of value.... your point could indeed be implied to ANY argument including your own....

of course we can be concerned with a number of things.... but we do not concern ourselves with ALL things... thus we prioritize, some deem an issue fit to focus on ..... others don't...

and we dialogue and give reasons for or against each to sway one another...

quote:
It chaps my hide to hear people say things like "Don't focus on that. It's not important." Maybe to you.


You hide is only chapped because you disagree...

If you agreed your hide would be just fine...



Big Grin


Peace,
Khalliqa
Homosexual issues are serious issues in the Black community globally.

The lesbian rights movement in South Africa has faced similar discrimination as in America.

Their sexuality wasn't important yet, so they marched against racism while being raped for being lesbians.

Their sex wasn't important yet, so they fought
against all other homophobic policies while being raped because they were women.

They fought for equal rights even when no one cared about their rights.

It took them a while, but they finally figured it was okay to fight the injustices against lesbians, women, and Blacks without being sellouts to the homosexual and other agendas.

The trickle-down humanity mentality doesn't work.

The success of the lesbian soccer team is a positive sign of change.

They are no longer invisible.
quote:
Originally posted by ma'am:
Homosexual issues are serious issues in the Black community globally.

The lesbian rights movement in South Africa has faced similar discrimination as in America.

Their sexuality wasn't important yet, so they marched against racism while being raped for being lesbians.

Their sex wasn't important yet, so they fought
against all other homophobic policies while being raped because they were women.

They fought for equal rights even when no one cared about their rights.

It took them a while, but they finally figured it was okay to fight the injustices against lesbians, women, and Blacks without being sellouts to the homosexual and other agendas.

The trickle-down humanity mentality doesn't work.

The success of the lesbian soccer team is a positive sign of change.

They are no longer invisible.


If one is in favor of homosexuality as an accepted alternative lifestyle.... then I can understand your position and see why you deem it necessary to champion the cause...

the only thing I see necessary to champion is the cessation of rape and abuse....

I don't accept homosexual behavior as a normative, nor do I champion the rights to make it so.....

I also don't champion abuse or rape against anyone.... that is an issue onto itself however, and still remains a priority over someones sexual choice....

but because I've officially allowed myself to get pulled into a debate I never intended... I'll bow out now.... recognizing when I've gone further than planned...



Peace,
Khalliqa
quote:
Originally posted by Khalliqa:
quote:
Originally posted by ricardomath:
Certainly time spent positively on any of these issues is much more valuable than time spent negatively in criticism of others for investing their time on another of these issues.


Certainly your arrogance eludes you....

indeed attempting to converse with a white man regarding his insensitivities is futile...

He just can't help himself...


Khalliqa


So what exactly are the insensitivities are you concerned about here?

That we actually disagree on an issue? Is it considered as insensitive for somebody to disagree with you?

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×