Remembering Aaliyah On The 12th Anniversary Of Her Death
Hollywood tragically lost R&B star Aaliyah 12 years ago.
The Brooklyn-born singer died in a plane crash on Aug. 25, 2001. She was flying home from the Bahamas, where she was on location filming her "Rock The Boat" music video. She was 22 years old.
Aaliyah shined bright from a young age. She appeared on an episode of "Star Search" at 10 years old, then signed with Jive Records two years later. R. Kelly even served as a mentor during her earlier music career stages.
She was a multi-talented triple threat. The Grammy-nominated R&B queen topped the charts with classics, including "Are You That Somebody" and "Try Again." She proved her acting chops with lead roles in "Romeo Must Die" and "Queen of the Damned." Her stunning beauty was recognized in a Tommy Jeans ad campaign.
Her influence on music, film and fashion is undeniable. We pay tribute to the fallen star's playful spirit and achievements through her 10 most memorable moments. R.I.P.
1. One of Aaliyah's most striking features was her smooth voice. She wowed during her performance at TNT Presents "A Gift of Song" on July 27, 1997.
2. She was the first queen of urban pop. Beyonce even interviewed her at an MTV awards show.
3. Aaliyah was genuinely down to earth. She took her brother Rashad Haughton onstage when she accepted the MTV moon man for "Try Again." The hit won for Best Female Video on Sept. 7, 2000.
4. She made her acting debut in "Romeo Must Die." Aaliyah played the feisty Trish O'Day to Jet Li's Po Sing. She was an executive producer for the movie's soundtrack and created four songs on the album.
5. Aaliyah then starred in the 2002 horror film "The Queen of the Damned." Aaliyah starred as the vampire queen, Akasha, alongside Stuart Townsend. The movie was released (in memorial) six months after her death.
6. Aaliyah dated one-time Roc-A-Fella Records partner Damon Dash. The two were photographed at the NYC premiere of "The Others" thirteen days before the crash.
7. She personified the millennium pop music trend at the 2000 MTV Movie Awards, where she posed backstage with three fifths of *NSYNC.
8. The star, known for her intense work ethic, took a break and flexed her athleticism at Diddy's Independence Day Softball Game and BBQ in East Hampton.
9. Janet Jackson was one of her biggest musical inspirations. Here, Aaliyah celebrates the singer at MTV's Icon tribute for Janet Jackson with Busta Rhymes, P!nk, Stevie Wonder, Mya and Tyrese.
10. Aaliyah and her friend, actress Bijou Phillips, goofed off at the "Me, Myself & Irene" LA premiere.
ALSO ON HUFFPOST: