Madonna is in hot water after dropping the N-bomb in an Instagram caption yesterday (Jan. 17).

 

The singer posted a photo of her 13-year-old son Rocco boxing and captioned it: "No one messes with Dirty Soap! Mama said knock you out! #disni--a," reports TMZ. Her over one million followers soon took to comment on her use of the offensive term, which prompted Madge to take down the troublesome photo.

 

But leave it to Madonna to stand up to her critics: Not long after, she posted the same photo with a different, more combative caption: "Ok let me start this again. #get off of my dick haters!"

This isn't the first time Madonna has received flack for posting a photo of her teenage son. Earlier this month, the 55-year-old posted a photo of underage Rocco surrounded by liquor bottles.

 

After her many critics voiced their disdain, Madonna fought back on Instagram, according to Us Weekly, writing: "No one was drinking we were just having fun! Calm down and get a sense of humor! Don't start the year off with judgement!"

 

UPDATE: Madonna has apologized for her use of the N-word, telling E! News in a statement: "I am sorry if I offended anyone with my use of the N-word on Instagram. It was not meant as a racial slur ... I am not a racist."

 

She added: "There's no way to defend the use of the word. It was all about intention ... It was used as a term of endearment toward my son who is white. I appreciate that it's a provocative word and I apologize if it gave people the wrong impression. Forgive me."

 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...-bomb_n_4623819.html

Original Post

Let me get this straight. Two of her adopted children are black, from Africa, but she still thinks it's okay to use the N word? Child Protective Services should remove David and Mercy from her home immediately!

  The thing is?  White folks who think since they LIE with blackfoks be it as a adoptive parent or a spouse has the RIGHT to use that word as a term of endearment as ignorant ass rappers and stupid young people.  What they don't seem to UNDERSTAND is calling anyone that name is calling that person a SLAVE!!!  But since again stupid azz ignorant black people use it as a "cool" trendy dialect....every body else thinks its okay too.  It is NOT.  Lemme repeat it is NOT.  I don;t have a thang against Madonna...I think she is human and allowed to make mistakes-which every  human does.  But her responsibility as a mother of two African children should have taught her to be MORE sensitive to that word and understand the HISTORY of it.  But I guess it is hard doing so since every black brainless celebrity uses it as a meet and greet term of "welcome."

 

I don't blame her a bit.  Who I blame are the countless stupid motherfockers who think that it is ALRIGHT to continue using it like the Jay Zs, Kanya Wests of the hip hop/rap world.  We just got thought talking about how powerfully influencing African Americans are in another thread in terms of how everyone is looking at every move they make.  Pitiful.  But! 

Last edited by Kocolicious

I understand the slavery and White people slaughtering and degrading African Americans and other Black Africans association with the N-word.

 

 

 

But N-word literally means Black, which is why for hundreds of years, Black Africans in the Americas were called Nigger because the Portuguese and the Spanish that came to America called us that of the variation of the word Niger because Spanish and Portuguese are variations of Latin. They used to call Black non-Muslims Africans Ethiopians. And Black Muslims Moors.

 

Nigger comes from the Latin word Niger. There is a country called Niger.

 

So if we call ourselves Black people predominantly and other people call us Black people, the association that comes with the word Nigger seems to be the only reason why we are no longer called Nigger.

 

We went from Nigger, Colored, Negro, Black. And we turned NIgger, Colored and Negro into pejoratives.

 

We always had a color term. Just like Europeans people have been called White people for hundreds of years.

 

Maybe we should simply get rid of all color terms. We should really think about what we call ourselves because today if us African Americans are gonna get offended over:

 

Nigger

Negro

Colored

 

When they all mean the same thing, maybe we shouldn't call ourselves Black either.

 

Because we been calling ourselves and been called variations of Black since we got to the USA. I can't stand color terms because it reduces into a color.

 

Which is why I really have no problem with the N-word. I can't get mad over being called Black just in a different way, when I am called Black everyday.

 

I refuse to make the N-word bigger than it really is, and I do not prefer being called a Nigga by some White person because Nigga has become a term of endearment for people of color all over the world, predominantly Africans and I don't like Europeans like that. And it is kind of like saying Dude or Bro these days. Don't like being called a Nigger either because people try to use it as an insult and to be disrespectful.

 

Madonna being an European and having African children in her custody, should be the last person using the N-word because it implies something about her.

Last edited by ForeverMan

The origins of 'negro' and 'Afrika:'

http://www.trinicenter.com/kwame/2007/0901.htm

 

Necro etymology:

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=necro-

 

Moor etymology:

http://www.taneter.org/moors.html

 

More on the history of 'Nigger:'

http://www.aaregistry.org/hist...r-word-brief-history

 

An excerpt from the above article:

'...Brother (Brotha) and Sister (Sistha or Sista) are terms of endearment. Nigger was and still is a word of disrespect. More to the point, the artificial dichotomy between Blacks or African Americans (respectable and middle-class) and niggers (disrespectable and lower class) ought to be challenged. Black is a nigger, regardless of behavior, earnings, goals, clothing, skills, ethics, or skin color. Finally, if continued use of the word lessened its damage, then nigger would not hurt or cause pain now. Blacks, from slavery until today, have internalized many negative images that White society cultivated and broadcast about Black skin and Black people. This is mirrored in cycles of self- and same-race hatred. The use of the word, nigger by Blacks reflects this hatred, even when the user is unaware of the psychological forces involved. Nigger is the ultimate expression of White racism and White superiority no matter how it is pronounced. It is linguistic corruption, an attack on civility.'

 

I don't care what race you belong to, you should not refer to another black, er, Original person as a 'nigger' or its dialectic variants. If you do, your mouth should be washed out with lye!

Last edited by EarthAndSky
Originally Posted by ForeverMan:

I understand the slavery and White people slaughtering and degrading African Americans and other Black Africans association with the N-word.

 

 

 

But N-word literally means Black, which is why for hundreds of years, Black Africans in the Americas were called Nigger because the Portuguese and the Spanish that came to America called us that of the variation of the word Niger because Spanish and Portuguese are variations of Latin. They used to call Black non-Muslims Africans Ethiopians. And Black Muslims Moors.

 

Nigger comes from the Latin word Niger. There is a country called Niger.

 

So if we call ourselves Black people predominantly and other people call us Black people, the association that comes with the word Nigger seems to be the only reason why we are no longer called Nigger.

 

We went from Nigger, Colored, Negro, Black. And we turned NIgger, Colored and Negro into pejoratives.

 

We always had a color term. Just like Europeans people have been called White people for hundreds of years.

 

Maybe we should simply get rid of all color terms. We should really think about what we call ourselves because today if us African Americans are gonna get offended over:

 

Nigger

Negro

Colored

 

When they all mean the same thing, maybe we shouldn't call ourselves Black either.

 

Because we been calling ourselves and been called variations of Black since we got to the USA. I can't stand color terms because it reduces into a color.

 

Which is why I really have no problem with the N-word. I can't get mad over being called Black just in a different way, when I am called Black everyday.

 

I refuse to make the N-word bigger than it really is, and I do not prefer being called a Nigga by some White person because Nigga has become a term of endearment for people of color all over the world, predominantly Africans and I don't like Europeans like that. And it is kind of like saying Dude or Bro these days. Don't like being called a Nigger either because people try to use it as an insult and to be disrespectful.

 

Madonna being an European and having African children in her custody, should be the last person using the N-word because it implies something about her.

You say "I really have no problem with the N-word"

 

If you're black you have a problem with it. You may say that the word merely describes color la-di-da. There's more to it. It is an insult to your being if you're black.  The word is taboo because this culture can't deal with its racism which is semi-hidden away like an explosive.   The word doesn't mean a thing. It's the context. It's what it symbolizes. 

 

Originally Posted by ForeverMan:

 

 

But N-word literally means Black, which is why for hundreds of years, Black Africans in the Americas were called Nigger because the Portuguese and the Spanish that came to America called us that of the variation of the word Niger because Spanish and Portuguese are variations of Latin. They used to call Black non-Muslims Africans Ethiopians. And Black Muslims Moors.

 

 

 

There is a country in Africa called Niger, and there is speculation that since this is the first country that a certain European landed in [and is buried there by request upon his death], the word "Niger" with emphasis on the J-sound "g", was misinterpreted as being "Nigger" as we know it to be pronounce today.  

 

I'm not sure that the word "Niger" has ever meant Black.  Unlike, the word Negro which does only mean Black.  

  I thought the prefix "nig" or "neg" meant black.  For example:  

 
The cat is fat, white and black.
El gato es gordo, blanco y negro. 
 
We'll dress in all black.
Nos vestimos de negro. 
 
The dog is black.
El perro es negro. 
 
The door is black.
La puerta es negra. 
 
The backpack is black.
La mochila es negra. 
 
 
I think it's when you apply an extra  "g"  and change the "e" to an "i" that's when the name takes a derogatory slur to define the color and class status of Africans/slaves.  As people do, they transgress the dialect of a common prefix giving it another meaning entirely.  However, we can debate about this all day long and dismiss the fact that because our people still use it, it continues to have power.  
 
In the 60s and 70s, and especially when James Brown came out with I'm Black and I'm Proud I just KNEW that word "nigger" would be eradicated once and for all.  Until the onset of the rap genre and it was niggerniggernigger all over again.  My point?  If we DON'T demand our people to STOP using this word...talking about our young generation of idiots...then the word will NEVER die.  You can't put cocoa on dog poop and call it chocolate-which is what the rap world TRIED to do.   It's up to us yall to teach our people not to use this word under any circumstance...but! Today so many of us are afraid of OUR own people and say nothing to confront them about this until a white person or someone outside our race says it and it's RACISM.
 
To me it has also become a word of anger when blackfolks get mad at each other and the first thing they do is call each other a what?  Nigger!  So we have to look at the mirror at what we are doing first.  Again..I don't blame Madonna cuz if she is hanging out with the likes of  50 cents, Jayz or that fool Kanye and hear them saying all the time as a [sick] term of endearment....well hell...she thinks it okay for HER to say it or other folks outside our race feel they can say it too.  As I said before, they i.e. the others think its COOL.
 
 But I'm like Oprah.  No this word will NEVER ever be cool to say as long as those dead bodies who died as a result of that word are still in their graves.  We have no loyalty or unity to our culture bottom line.  Our young people [rap artists] sold this word to massa [record labels] and now everyone not black [consumers of rap music] think they can use it anytime they want.  Cuz why?  They paid for it.  And whose fault is that? Not theirs.    But ours. Cuz instead of putting an end to it for good?  We whine about it and say nothing to those responsible.   Pitiful,    But! 
Last edited by Kocolicious

 Until the onset of the rap genre and it was nigger nigger nigger all over again.

 

 

Nonsense.  You cannot blame the culture of Hip Hop (of which rap is a part) for the use of the term when its usage (by Black people )precedes it...which IS the reason why its used. 

 

"The Education of Sonny Carson" is not a Hip Hip movie.

 

 

EarthAndSky gave a HUGE assist on the etymology of the root. Going into Spanish to attempt to explain with Black doesn't work linguistically. 

 

If one looks closely at the examples Koco posted, you'll see a clue as to why. 

 

 

 

 

Originally Posted by sunnubian:
Originally Posted by ForeverMan:

 

 

But N-word literally means Black, which is why for hundreds of years, Black Africans in the Americas were called Nigger because the Portuguese and the Spanish that came to America called us that of the variation of the word Niger because Spanish and Portuguese are variations of Latin. They used to call Black non-Muslims Africans Ethiopians. And Black Muslims Moors.

 

 

 

There is a country in Africa called Niger, and there is speculation that since this is the first country that a certain European landed in [and is buried there by request upon his death], the word "Niger" with emphasis on the J-sound "g", was misinterpreted as being "Nigger" as we know it to be pronounce today.  

 

I'm not sure that the word "Niger" has ever meant Black.  Unlike, the word Negro which does only mean Black.  

 

The French word for black is noir. The German word for black is schwarz. The British and the Germans (Mungo Park and Heinrich Barth) were the first Europeans to arrive to that land presently called Niger; although, the British actually arrived before the Germans. Eventually, it became a French colony. I strongly suspect that 'Niger' is the French corruption (including the pronunciation) of the word 'nigger.' To this day, I still do not understand why the people of that country do not change its name. In fact, why are most African countries still going by the name its colonial masters bequeathed on them?

 

Last edited by EarthAndSky
Originally Posted by EarthAndSky:
Originally Posted by sunnubian:
Originally Posted by ForeverMan:

 

 

But N-word literally means Black, which is why for hundreds of years, Black Africans in the Americas were called Nigger because the Portuguese and the Spanish that came to America called us that of the variation of the word Niger because Spanish and Portuguese are variations of Latin. They used to call Black non-Muslims Africans Ethiopians. And Black Muslims Moors.

 

 

 

There is a country in Africa called Niger, and there is speculation that since this is the first country that a certain European landed in [and is buried there by request upon his death], the word "Niger" with emphasis on the J-sound "g", was misinterpreted as being "Nigger" as we know it to be pronounce today.  

 

I'm not sure that the word "Niger" has ever meant Black.  Unlike, the word Negro which does only mean Black.  

 

The French word for black is noir. The German word for black is schwarz. The British and the Germans were the first Europeans to arrive to that land presently called Niger. Eventually, it became a French colony. I strongly suspect that 'Niger' is the French corruption (including the pronunciation) of the word 'nigger.' To this day, I still do not understand why the people of that country do not change its name. In fact, why are most African countries still going by the name its colonial masters bequeathed on them?

 

Terrible irony, Nazi ShwarzeNegger elected to kill Stanley Tookie:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12...l/13tookie.html?_r=0

 

Derivation from Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigger

I am no expert in Latin by any means; however, my grandmother studied the language. In Latin, there can be multiple translations of a single English word, with each having its own meaning or context.

 

In Latin, the words for the color black is ater, atra, or atrum. The Latin word, niger, is the denigrate form of black. Niger's Latin etymology is denigrare, which means 'to make very black; defame' or nigrare, 'to blacken.' Here are my sources.

 

http://ancienthistory.about.co...s/qt/Latincolors.htm

'Whether you want to translate a short English phrase into Latin or a Latin phrase into English, you can not just plug the words into a dictionary and expect an accurate result. You can't with most modern languages, but the lack of a one-to-one correspondence is even greater for Latin and English.'

 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/denigrate?s=t

 

Regardless of how you look at it, 'nigger' (or its variants) is not an acceptable word to label people of darker skin tones. It is offensive.

 

We all know, of course, that black isn't a color at all. It is the absence of color. Of course, there aren't many people on this planet who are truly black. Since we were the first humans on this planet, we should call ourselves 'The Originals.' 

 

On a somewhat related topic...

 

Divide and conquer via the use of labels or another (silly) reason we still aren't united:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08...anted=all&src=pm

Nonsense.  You cannot blame the culture of Hip Hop (of which rap is a part) for the use of the term when its usage (by Black people )precedes it...which IS the reason why its used. 

 

  Didn't I tell YOU not to say ANYTHING to me?  You can NEVER control HOW I think or what I express.  Got that? This is MY opinion/perspective.   Don't give a damn about what you think is NONSENSE. Didnt ask your azz.  So don't talk to me. Concentrate on what's going on inside that head of yours....cuz you aint got a thing to say ABOUT what's going on inside of  mines.   

Sista Earth and Sky wrote:  I am no expert in Latin by any means; however, my grandmother studied the language. In Latin, there can be multiple translations of a single English word, with each having its own meaning or context.

 

  Those examples I gave were Spanish.  I'm not an expert either.  But a lot of my colleagues are Spanish and told me that "neg" in their language meant black.  My only point is how words can evolve from one language to another and how it can sometimes take a whole different meaning of its own.  But!  

Last edited by Kocolicious

My only point is how words can evolve from one language to another and how it can sometimes take a whole different meaning of its own.

 

Sooo.....does that NOT apply to the 1st and 2nd Generation Hip Hoppers who clearly make a distinction between "Nigg-A" and "Nigg-ER" including the rules on who can and cannot use it -which itself is a concept not unheard of in other languages as well?  

 

 

Last edited by Muhammad Cipher

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×