This has been inspired by the concern-questions of EBONY and myself. The model for this discussion comes from Constructive Feedback aka The Cultural Strategist. First, here is my question to him and, following that, his answer and list of "Cultural TOOLS":
Now my idea of Cultural Tools would have been to speak to those things that would, out of all things, produce #3 - #6 such as a School/Education System that would foster amassive (re)education project with those things specifically targeted. A focus to acquire that "tool" and the Institutional Structure and Control needed to constantly reproduce people who possess #3 - #6.quote:What are the tools needed for building one's Culture/Cultural House? And where do we stand with respect to an inventory of those tools? Are there tools we need to acquire? You know, especially if we're going to transform, develop and direct our culture the way we [you] want.
What are the tools that perpetually maintain CULTURE?
1) Clarity of Goals 2) Honesty about where you stand today (something that many folks don't have) 3) Planning ability to set up a path way to get there 4) Communications and Marketing skills to raise the awareness of these plans and to address any questions 5) Scientific Discipline to take measurements about your heading 6) Management skills to reorient your course 7) Democratic infrastructure to note that the methods that you have in place are not working and need to be PURGED and a new set of methods brought in. Beyond "Majority Domination" (ie: Minority suppression) is the concept of FACT BASED DEBATE and the Rule of Law and not of man.
In terms of assessing that Inventory, no doubt we have a lot we have to "acquire"...
That aside, C-Feed sets up a very good list. I'd like to see an in-depth discussion on #1, #2 and #7. Those are, no doubt, the most important things because all the "planning", all the communication, management and discipline directed somewhere Off Course is an ultimate waste (not absolute, but ultimate).
- So what are some CLEAR GOALS WE CAN COME TO TERMS ON?
- If we're honest? WHERE DO WE STAND TODAY with respect to those goals
as we perceive them (and, also, after we come to terms...)?
- How can we establish a "Democratic Infrastructure" where our leadership is held accountable and responsible for not meeting our goals... if, in fact, that is the case and if that is actually possible?
- And what are the FACTS about our situation?