Skip to main content

Racism is comfortably nestled inside every level of people activity and hollywood perpetuates the myth.

Once again KK appears on the big screen knocking down buildings, grabbing a blond haired white woman while fearing airplanes. ek

Plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllleeeeeezzzzzzze! bang

The subliminal message is clear and reveals black men running loose in the city, tearing down the city, chasing after white women and fearing planes. bs

Wasn't Mr. T afraid of planes in that television series he did? ....coincidence?

Naaaaaaaaaa...!

Always Remember that: "Anytime We As A People Are Not Having Our WaySomeone Else Is Having Theirs...And It's Never To Our Advantage."

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Fine... I agree in principle with your concerns... have you seen this version of the film?

I'm not quibbling over the symbolism, however I had read another review and it sounded like Peter Jackson's treatment (a remake of the original) had added more monsters and moved away from the overt message you stated, into more a monster-movie.

I'm disappointed to hear it still 'sells the same message'. I want to see it due to Naomi Watts (and she isn't your typical blonde bimbo starlet)... I'll report back when I've seen it.
.
When the character and theme change maybe I'll reconsider.

Hidden symbolism's rule this country from the Washington Monument to the Statue of Liberty.

Neither of these are original thoughts of the "Western" [White] Civilization:

1. The Washington Monument is a 'stolen' idea from Egypt {i.e. Cleopatra's Needle; Obelisk}.

2. The Statue of Liberty {i.e. a gift from France} is 'supposed' to be a black woman.



I am,
I can't believe people are flocking to see this junk. The movie shows indigenous natives doing the typical "Jungle Bunny" dances. And as for King Kong's Black animalistic/sexual fascination with a very fair-skinned White woman, who doesn't know what that shit is about? If you are Black, you would have to be crazy to lend one dime towards financing the making of this movie.

According to a recent review, however, this version of King Kong is supposed to show more of a platonic friendship, rather than a sexual attraction, that emerges between KK and the character played by Watts. But still, viewers are to believe that of all the people in the jungle that KK has encountered (and subsequently eaten [minus the bones]), that this White woman is so "special" that she just had to be spared? Please. And what beast as huge as KK is going to eat people and not the bones??? Its not as if he is eating Popeyes Chicken (finga' licking good). Roll Eyes
Last edited {1}
I went to see it last night - it's a long film!!
OK, here are my scattered thoughts...

Overall as an action adventure film, it had some good moments.
Naomi and her crewmates certainly had to battle more than a giant gorilla on Skull Island! Naomi, Jack Black and Kong were good actors, however I do have some serious misgivings. And a lot of these could have been dealt with.

The portrayal of the indigenous people on the island could have been handled a lot differently.
I see no reason why they were made to look so overly agressive and ugly.
I was really suprised by this as it was totally unneccessary and I thought Peter Jackson could have treated this a lot differently and more intelligently. td6

Rather than allude to them being in some kind of voudun trance (?) they could have been shown more compassionately, heck, they'd been living in constant fear of giant animals - and perhaps show the concept of making a sacrifice out of fear rather than seeming to enjoy it??

And why were there human sacrifices to Kong if he is a vegetarian gorilla? Voudun?

Also, I wondered about the one black crew member's lack of hesitation in firing on the local black inhabitants? OK, their lives were under threat, but...

I believe Peter Jackons steered away from depicting Kong and Naomi in an eroticised way, and successfully showed a friendship and 'connection' between animal and human.
Although some could point to Kong's lack of any 'family jewels' as further evidence of Kong's emasculation. OR censorship, take your pick.
However, I thought Kong was shown as an intelligent being with a soul. I didn't find evidence of fear or hate of Kong (as an analogy of a black man), more the opposite.

I found the inevitable carnival > rampage > gorilla vs. human battle underlining how some humans will stop at nothing for a fast buck and Kong's inevitable fate made most people cringe at how stupid and destructive humans can be.

>>>>>>>SPOILER<<<<<<<<

I'd be interested to hear some male comments about this film.

There were good moments of adventure in the rest of the film, but >>>>>>SPOILER<<<<<<< the last line really pissed me off. Effort had been made to establish the friendship/connection between Kong and Naomi... then the concept of their friendship was totally undone by the last line spoken by Jack Black. Grrrr..... If ONLY he had used the word friendship or compassion instead of 'beauty'. Because yes, Fine, that bit of dialog did seem to underline the concept [if subliminally) of beauty as being white. And that was totally unneccessary, inaccurate, and totally disappointing.
.
.
I thought this movie was beyond silly... and I'm sorry, but I don't see the 'emasculated black man' thing. I understand the concept but I'm not sure I buy into it. We have to deal with far more overt manifestations of racism than those found in a movie. It's just a movie, folks.... Be that as it may, on with my review:

The actors were fine -- I'm a fan of both Naomi Watts and Jack Black. But the film was wayyy over the top. The scene with the giant insects was totally unnecessary; the scenes where King Kong is fighting T-rexes and raptors with one hand while he's got Naomi Watts in the other was totally stupid (in reality, she'd have been snapped like a twig with all that jerking around); the scene near the end where Naomi Watts comes strolling down the street in a diaphanous, sleeveless, low-cut white dress in the dead of winter...

I could go on but it's late and I'm tired...

To make matters worse, the original film was shown on Turner Classic the same night I was this stupid remake. It doesn't compare.
quote:
Originally posted by art_gurl:
I went to see it last night - it's a long film!!
OK, here are my scattered thoughts...

Overall as an action adventure film, it had some good moments.
Naomi and her crewmates certainly had to battle more than a giant gorilla on Skull Island! Naomi, Jack Black and Kong were good actors, however I do have some serious misgivings. And a lot of these could have been dealt with.

The portrayal of the indigenous people on the island could have been handled a lot differently.
I see no reason why they were made to look so overly agressive and ugly.
I was really suprised by this as it was totally unneccessary and I thought Peter Jackson could have treated this a lot differently and more intelligently. td6

Rather than allude to them being in some kind of voudun trance (?) they could have been shown more compassionately, heck, they'd been living in constant fear of giant animals - and perhaps show the concept of making a sacrifice out of fear rather than seeming to enjoy it??

And why were there human sacrifices to Kong if he is a vegetarian gorilla? Voudun?

Also, I wondered about the one black crew member's lack of hesitation in firing on the local black inhabitants? OK, their lives were under threat, but...

I believe Peter Jackons steered away from depicting Kong and Naomi in an eroticised way, and successfully showed a friendship and 'connection' between animal and human.
Although some could point to Kong's lack of any 'family jewels' as further evidence of Kong's emasculation. OR censorship, take your pick.
However, I thought Kong was shown as an intelligent being with a soul. I didn't find evidence of fear or hate of Kong (as an analogy of a black man), more the opposite.

I found the inevitable carnival > rampage > gorilla vs. human battle underlining how some humans will stop at nothing for a fast buck and Kong's inevitable fate made most people cringe at how stupid and destructive humans can be.

>>>>>>>SPOILER<<<<<<<<

I'd be interested to hear some male comments about this film.

There were good moments of adventure in the rest of the film, but >>>>>>SPOILER<<<<<<< the last line really pissed me off. Effort had been made to establish the friendship/connection between Kong and Naomi... then the concept of their friendship was totally undone by the last line spoken by Jack Black. Grrrr..... If ONLY he had used the word friendship or compassion instead of 'beauty'. Because yes, Fine, that bit of dialog did seem to underline the concept [if subliminally) of beauty as being white. And that was totally unneccessary, inaccurate, and totally disappointing.
.
.


The black character called "Hayes" was thrown in to the movie to "balance" the scences of so-called "the blood-thirsty savages".
quote:
Originally posted by art_gurl:
The portrayal of the indigenous people on the island could have been handled a lot differently. I see no reason why they were made to look so overly agressive and ugly.
I was really suprised by this as it was totally unneccessary and I thought Peter Jackson could have treated this a lot differently and more intelligently.Rather than allude to them being in some kind of voudun trance (?) they could have been shown more compassionately, heck, they'd been living in constant fear of giant animals - and perhaps show the concept of making a sacrifice out of fear rather than seeming to enjoy it??



I told you it was some mess. I don't know why, considering indigeous groups are becoming more "Americanized" than Americans, White film directors continue to portray them in this way. They are racist, that's why. You should have took your money and spent it on something to eat.
Last edited {1}
quote:
Originally posted by Ms_secondhalf:
I thought this movie was beyond silly... and I'm sorry, but I don't see the 'emasculated black man' thing. I understand the concept but I'm not sure I buy into it. We have to deal with far more overt manifestations of racism than those found in a movie.


These so-called "just-a-movies" are making millions of dollars, thank you, which means lots of people are taking in this junk. You shouldn't have such a cavelier attitude about this.
quote:
Originally posted by Rowe:
I can't believe people are flocking to see this junk. The movie shows indigenous natives doing the typical "Jungle Bunny" dances. And as for King Kong's Black animalistic/sexual fascination with a very fair-skinned White woman, who doesn't know what that shit is about? If you are Black, you would have to be crazy to lend one dime towards financing the making of this movie.

According to a recent review, however, this version of King Kong is supposed to show more of a platonic friendship, rather than a sexual attraction, that emerges between KK and the character played by Watts. But still, viewers are suppose to believe that of all the people in the jungle that KK has encountered (and subsequently eaten [minus the bones]), that this White woman is so "special" that she just had to be spared. Please. And what beast as huge as KK is going to eat people and not the bones??? Its not as if he is eating Popeyes Chicken (finga' licking good). Roll Eyes


I have NOTHING to add to this, NO comments... it just needed to be repeated!
quote:
Originally posted by Rowe:
quote:
Originally posted by Ms_secondhalf:
I thought this movie was beyond silly... and I'm sorry, but I don't see the 'emasculated black man' thing. I understand the concept but I'm not sure I buy into it. We have to deal with far more overt manifestations of racism than those found in a movie.


These so-called "just-a-movies" are making millions of dollars, thank you, which means lots of people are taking in this junk. You shouldn't have such a cavelier attitude about this.


Opinions are like.... elbows, Rowe. Everyone has at least... one. Smile

In my opinion, people of color have bigger fish to fry than to worry about a silly movie. You may feel differently. That's fine.
quote:
We have to deal with far more overt manifestations of racism than those found in a movie.


Perhaps, but it's more than just a movie... it's also a Playstation game played mostly by... young men. And how many hours and $$ do guys spend on computer games? Wink

I wonder how those indigenous people are portrayed in the game and their role. Has anyone
played this game yet?
.

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×