Skip to main content

Jennifer Lopez: 'We're realizing our power'

<cite class="byline vcard" id="yui_3_8_1_1_1371075896383_1215">By STACY A. ANDERSON | Associated Press – 56 minutes ago</cite>

 

FILE - This May 22, 2013 file photo shows actress and recording artist Jennifer Lopez at a news conference announcing Viva Movil by Jennifer Lopez in Las Vegas. Lopez says Latinos in the United States are starting to realize their power in politics and media, and that makes the timing good for her latest undertaking: Lobbying for greater diversity in TV programming. The actress and entertainer spoke Wednesday, June 12, at the Cable Show, a communications convention, ahead of new programming set to launch July 18 on the NUVOtv network. Lopez serves as chief creative officer of the English-language Latino channel. [Photo by Jeff Bottari/Invision/AP, file)

 

WASHINGTON (AP) — Jennifer Lopez says Latinos in the United States are starting to realize their power in politics and media, making the timing good for her latest undertaking: lobbying for greater diversity in TV programming.

 

The entertainer spoke Wednesday at the Cable Show, a communications convention, ahead of new programming set to launch July 18 on the NUVOtv network. Lopez serves as chief creative officer of the English-language Latino channel.

 

"It's an extension of who I am as an artist," she said about her new role in an interview with The Associated Press. "As I grow in this business — I've been in the business close to 20 years now — that creative spark that you have doesn't go away. It keeps growing almost."

 

Lopez said that working behind the scenes is just as rewarding as performing, if not more.

"Singing and acting and dancing and performing live, it's always going to be my passion," she said. "But at the end of the day, when you're given the opportunities to be more creative, to create things more from the ground up, to really, really do things like NUVO, which is really for me empowering a community, that means so much to me."

 

The actress-singer-dancer said these are exciting times across the board for Latinos.

 

"There's a big revolution going on, it's like a media and cultural revolution of Latinos here in the United States," she said. "We're realizing our power. We're realizing that we matter here. You know, we're not just, you know, the guys working behind the scenes in the kitchens and as a plumber."

 

Lopez was meeting later Wednesday with the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, the National Council of La Raza and Sens. Harry Reid, D-Nev., and Bob Menendez, D-N.J.

 

She said businesses are getting on board too because of the tremendous buying power of Latinos, which is why she is also the creative chief officer of the Viva Movil brand for Verizon. The entertainer is opening a chain of 15 cell phone stores with bilingual staffers starting this month to cater to the Hispanic market.

 

While Lopez, 43, continues to undertake creative ventures, she said she will never stop performing.

 

"It's a new day when it comes to women," she said.

 

"The world is realizing that women are not even coming into their own until they're in their 40s, that they have so much to offer. That you can stay in shape, that your life is not over once you have kids and it becomes only about your kids, that to be a great mother, or great parent or great woman in this world you have to be a great individual first, you know what I mean, and that's very empowering and we're all realizing this," she said.

 

Lopez said many major actresses in Hollywood are in their 40s and in the prime of the careers including Jennifer Aniston, Sandra Bullock, Julia Roberts and Halle Berry.

 

"It's a new day for women, it's a new day for Latinos, it's a new day," she said.

 

 

 

 
 BLACK by NATURE, PROUD by CHOICE.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't know, without a strong Black-Brown voting block against it, America's racist right-wing pseudo "conservative" agenda is merely going to continue and get even more far fetched, which will only oppress or further oppress both groups.  Should Latinos brown-nose vote for conservatives, Black people's oppression continues and get worse.  I think America does not have a snowball's chance in hell of every fulfilling it's promise/claim of "equality" and democracy without Black-Brown-Progressive Whites voting blocks.  So, while it does not and should not keep African Americans from focusing on what does or should concern African America, we should be watching which way the Latino voting tide is turning (at all times). 

Well...the way I see it...we're ALL in this political boat together.  Whether we like it or not!  Reality is....Latinos are becoming a power force in this country.  But!  Actually what I was referring to was the fact that "women" not their race or ethinicity are PHENOMENAL.   And the realization of our power begins in our forties.  Back in the day, in the eyes of MEN.....women's  lives were over at 50.  Now we know that is NOT true.  That is sooooooo far from the truth.  There is still LIFE  for women  after children become grown. There is still LIFE.... even more of a vibrant LIFE after we as women come to the conclusion that we ARE not here to just impress others through their gaze....especially men....we are here to soar into the life we create for ourselves. And most times this occurs when we reach that golden age of 40.  But!   

Originally Posted by Yemaya:

Why are we talking about Latinos on AfricanAmerica dot org?? What exactly does their burgeoning political awareness have to do with OUR political views or political strategies? I'm just asking.

 I think there's a couple of reasons why discussions about Latinos are relevant to Blackfolks.  For one thing, being that they are about to be (already are) more populous than us ... that knocks us further down the "totem pole" (economically, socially, politically) than we already were.  Black people were already at the BOTTOM of the barrel.  We are even FURTHER below that, now.

 

The reason why that's important is because the lower we go, the worse we will be the ones to get stepped on, pushed down, and receive even less of the little bit that is - or should be - offered to us as citizens of the United States.

 

ANY minority with a stronger political voice than ours will be the ones able to dictate governance (first) of our cities and states ... chool boards ... commissioning and zoning ... ALL of which affects US and where we live and the rules and laws we live by.  If Black people are NOT in charge of our own existance (and we're not!!) ... do we REALLY want to leave that up to a Latino population who we know gives less of a damn about us than Whitefolks do???

 

Latinos are "the next big thing."    And we can act like they don't matter or are unimportant to us ... but, once they take over and become "in charge" of things .... they WILL "matter" VERY much!! 

 

It's not just their "burgeoning" political power ... but their burgeoning numbers ... slow-gathering unity, cohesiveness ... and the fact that deep down inside ... most of them are Republican-leaning at heart!!  That Black people are (again!!) gonna wake up one day, shocked and bewildered ... wondering how we (again) got to be so irrelevant, overlooked, without resources .... while (again) some OTHER group came in and took advantage of all of OUR hard work and made better on it than we did. 

 

We need to not only be watching them, but doing what they're doing BETTER than they are!!  We DO have the advantage of citizenship, longevity as members of this society, a certain amount of political earned clot (that we don't use - but still, it's there) ... and if we were smart, we'd be listening when they say they are "coming up".  Because the fact is .... the higher they rise, the lower that puts us.  And unless/until the day comes when we fight for ourselves ... we have nowhere else to go except down.

  And if by their rising causes us to go lower than we already are currently?  It. Is. No. Body's. Fault. But. Our. Own.  Can't blame my president on this.  We have managed to do it very nicely ourselves.  By one:  inner bickering and not paying attention while other groups tip toe around us and replace our status/position.  And two, by not being a driving force in our children's education and well-being.  Too black folks don't wanna anyone to tell them how to raise their kids [when it's clear they don't know what the fock they are doing]  until their kids are either in jail or in the grave.  Then they want answers.    Three, many of us are TOOOOOOO arrogant about absolutely NOTHING.  We get a little pennies in our pockets and forget what the goal for our culture is and has been for years.  Many of us become selfish....like a few black celebrities I can mention but won't who have millions upon millions of dollars but don't/won't see investing in our culture as an advantage to our future. 

 

And four, we are just MEAN and hateful toward each other to the point where we have become our OWN targets.  As why I get pissed off when black folks in drove march against police brutality, or whites killings blacks but will not raise a VOICE higher than a whisper ot come outta the house when blacks kill EACH OTHER!!!!  There is something VERY sick about that.  We need to stop this self-genocide.  Cuz what it is saying not only to the world but to our internal dialouge  that it is okay if WE kill each other but it's not okay if others do it.  BULL.  SHYTE.  That is some twisted sick sick self-hating shyte.

 

 And these are only four distractions that kept us like crabs in a barrell.  And what's sooooooo funny to me...even with the mere mention of Latino moving up illegal or no that's when some blacks get their boxers in bunch.  But do they have that SAME passion when gangs stalk and kill other gang members who are actually misguided black youth disguised as heartless murderers?  Do they march and demonstrate in droves in their community begging for the killings to stop? Hellllllllll no.  Now very few might for a quick second then go home but many Blacks just shake in their boots appearing to be helpless in controlling the violent behavior of their OWN children.  It is no wonder other ethnic groups can come in this country and reach success.  Cuz they have what we kept dismissing:  UNITY and love for their culture.   And trust and believe they will quietly or loudly do whatever it is necessary for their culture to SURVIVE.  But us?

 

As I always say massa and the arabs done good.  Cuz blacks are killing each other over in Africa while blacks are killing each other over here.  And as long as we continue to do that?  We as black people[and Africans]  will NEVER regain our rightful POWER that we equally DESERVE.  But!  

I think there's a couple of reasons why discussions about Latinos are relevant to Blackfolks.  For one thing, being that they are about to be (already are) more populous than us ... that knocks us further down the "totem pole" (economically, socially, politically) than we already were.  Black people were already at the BOTTOM of the barrel.  We are even FURTHER below that, now.

 

Self destructive BS.

 

What you say has merit if (and ONLY IF) you operate from the position that Black and Brown people are in competition for just treatment and attention from white people. The population of Brown people already trumps white people globally (as do everyone's) and their conditions haven't improved by virtue of that fact alone.  

 

What is almost never mentioned when these silly comparisons come up is how much time the Latino (Brown) population has not wasted chasing the illusion of assimilation as the answer to all their problems (ie the integration movement in the late 50's).  They make clear they function in the interest of their community.......

 

and much to the irritation of some Black people, they also make distinctions between Brown people (who are by aboriginal) and white people calling themselves "Hispanic". 

 

They know the difference, too many of us don't know that there is one.

You know .... the "master plan" of slavery had a negative objective to it ..... which was to physically oppress and mentally subjugate us as a people.  And, their tactics ... reinforced with savage brutality and cruelty .... were, as a general rule ... SUCCESSFUL when it came to repressing the instinct to "fight back" against such persecution.

 

Many of those who DID take a stand and openly opposed their unjust treatment .... were 'made an example of ' if they were caught defying authority.   And it wasn't pretty ... especially for those being taught the lesson of 'don't try this yourself if you know what's good for you'.  Which is why, in a lot of instances, Black children were taught not to be seen nor heard' by Whitefolks if at all possible.  And a reason why many Black people today are more willing to be obliging than agitative ... less openly aggressive against White oppression and more docile in the process.

 

However .... as you say, Ms. Koco .... we've "lulled" ourselves into a sense of inactivity, pacification, and, in some instances ... downright laziness!!    We allow ourselves to get walked on, held back, held down and surpassed by those with much less invested than we have!!  And it's a damn shame, too!! 

 

There's no way in HELL a group of illegal, uneducated, unskilled, untalented, non-English-speaking people should be able to surpass us in A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G here, on what is our HOME soil!!    But ... the fact that they are willing to stick together .... willing to protect themselves and theirs, willing to project a united front when it comes to issues of importance to them .... is what is going to allow them to end up with MORE than we (collectively) have and in a better position to demand more!! 

 

All the while we're standing up here scratching our heads wondering what happened .... .  And on the "late freight' as usual. 

  My sista!  I totally AGREE.  We are the MAIN ones overlooking the PINK elephant walking in the black community destroying our culture at every move.  We have proven we have the ability rise up.  But!  Massa has brainwahsed us real good to be distracted by material and illusional  things to make us feel worthy while other cultures come here  speaking their OWN language but know how to say ni$$er real good and swipe the rug right from under us.  We have done what they could not DO in their own country but they came come here and become our bosses...as many of us sit on the sidelines whining and complaining about the FIRST black presidentt[not even acknowledging that huge accomplishment]; talking about the white political machine to appear intelligent to massa but won't participate in ensuring that the rights black people before us died for stays in place; too many of us are satisfied with the bullshyte tokens of acceptance while others cash in on our REAL power.  But!  As I said before you can't tell some black folks ANYTHING!  Cuz many are REALLY cowards.  Proof is the many generationS of black people who have died at the hands of each other cuz black folks THEMSELVES refused to get out there and do something about it.  My question?  How in the fock can you be AFRAID of your OWN people?

 

And this is why I refuse to get in a convo with idiots who think they KNOW more than me by using white washed language,  When I know that the same folks [just by how they talk] will NOT lift a finger to help another black person in need.  And these  same folks wouldn't even dare walk in a  black low income neighborhood[cuz somehow it's beneath them]....but!  They will run their mouths like they KNOW what they're talking about.  And these are the SAME folks I call sabbotagers, haters who HATE their own people by  being totally inactive for the cause many upon many black folks have died for since slavery in this country.  It's a focking joke to me and I refuse to engage in idle talk.  It's empty rhetoric.  So if anybody's the BLAME for what is currently happening to blackfolks?  It's BLACKFOLKS!  Not Latinos, Asians, Native Americans, or anyboy else coming here to start a new life.  It is NOT their fault that WE continue to give our power away, continue to kill each other, fight like enemies.  Cuz if we could FREE ourselves in one of the most racist countries in the world....[while others in other countries are STILL in  mental and cultural bondage]...then the reasons why WE stop progressing got to be OUR own fault!  But! 

Originally Posted by Kocolicious:

    So if anybody's the BLAME for what is currently happening to blackfolks?  It's BLACKFOLKS!  Not Latinos, Asians, Native Americans, or anyboy else coming here to start a new life.  It is NOT their fault that WE continue to give our power away, continue to kill each other, fight like enemies.  Cuz if we could FREE ourselves in one of the most racist countries in the world....[while others in other countries are STILL in  mental and cultural bondage]...then the reasons why WE stop progressing got to be OUR own fault!  But! 

 

AMEN and HALLELUJAH to THAT one, Ms. Koco!! 

 

Originally Posted by EbonyRose:
Originally Posted by Kocolicious:

    So if anybody's the BLAME for what is currently happening to blackfolks?  It's BLACKFOLKS!  Not Latinos, Asians, Native Americans, or anyboy else coming here to start a new life.  It is NOT their fault that WE continue to give our power away, continue to kill each other, fight like enemies.  Cuz if we could FREE ourselves in one of the most racist countries in the world....[while others in other countries are STILL in  mental and cultural bondage]...then the reasons why WE stop progressing got to be OUR own fault!  But! 

 

AMEN and HALLELUJAH to THAT one, Ms. Koco!! 

 


That is one thing that just baffles the hell out of me, how it is that only the Black race does this.  I used to say, African Americans, but as I got older and wiser and more knowledgeable about what goes on throughout the diaspora and in Africa too, I have come to realize that it is the entire Black race that refuses to  unite, work together, care about each other and put our own Race above other races of people, regardless of religion, class, cultural differences and nationalities.  The entire Black race is still existing in Tribes all over this globe, just like those that can still be found in Africa where one Tribes does not help another Tribe and because of it both Tribes suffer.  African Americans are so consumed by worthless materialism and vain image, to unite as a group in this country.  The only time African Americans show a united front, is when it is time to vote for president.  There are about 50Million African Americans in America, $1.00 a month donated to our HBCUs would make them unprecedented state-of-the-art colleges and universities, but there is not a chance in hell that African Americans would actually donate one freaking dollar a month the our HBCUs.  Every dime 99% of us make goes right back to White America, none stays in the African American community.  And, then, how Black people of ALL people in America could actually belong to gangs and fight and kill each other while living in a country that has historically had gangs to systematically murder and lynch Black people and still does, is beyond my comprehension.  How African American in America can be worth countless millions, some into a billion or more, and not give one damn dime to alleviate any poverty, functional illiteracy, educational problems, youth gangs and violence, is also beyond what I can comprehend.  "A House Divided Cannot Stand"; and so it is. 

"And these  same folks wouldn't even dare walk in a  black low income neighborhood[cuz somehow it's beneath them]....but!"


No, I think the real reason is because they don't want to be a victim of crime. Being black in a black environment does not make you immune nor give you a free pass from being a victim of violent crime. How many innocent black children and adults are killed by stray bullets from drive by's (a sixteen month old black child was killed last week in Pittsburgh by gang banging Negroes who opened fire on a family pic nic), how many black women are victims of beatings, rape and robbery by blacks they don't know or how many black homes are burglarized, cars stolen, purses taken, robbed at gun point (a friend who is a 65 year old black man, was robbed at gunpoint by street coons in NYC recently). Two years ago, I came back to my home city to do some historical documentation. I went to area (it was safe when I was a child) that is now  a roiling drug/gang infestation. Before I could get out the car, they started coming out the wood work and they didn't look friendly. I just turned around and left because I could see they were going to block my only exit. So, yes, it doesn't matter if you are black, white, etc, if you walk in a low income black area, you are taking serious risk. Don't think so? Just as all those black folks living on the South side of Chicago how safe it is to walk the streets. E'nuff said..... 



 Pleaaaaaaaaaaasw get off that soapbox.  Cuz a black person can go into a WHITE environment and either get ran outta town or LYNCHED.  So thats a cop out,  Yes there is crime in low income neighborhoods but!  There are also CRIME in lily white track communities too.  Soooooooooo don't get that shyte twisted,  The bottom line is we are OUR enemy.   What you're talking about  my brotha CAN happen in any neighborhood...and GUESS what?  By whitefolks as well.  Have you NOT been watching all these crime shows that depict WHITEFOLKS killing each other, robbing each other, raping each other, beating each other, burlarizing each others?   Where have YOU been? 

 

Hey meth is the new crack cocaine for whitefolks and not only are they SELLING their children for sex to feed their addiction, they are participating in the very thing you say black folks are.  So.  What's your point?  You called gang banging negroes, I call massa white hoodlum mafia?  You tell me the difference.  So DON'T distract by saying oh no [while shaking in your boots] that black neighborhoods are far worse...cuz really it's an illusion what you see in manicured clean white neighborhoods-massa is still screwing his neighbor's wife or son...or husband, still snorting meth up his nose or shooting herion in his veins while he goes to a high class work place, killing his wife so he won't have to pay child support or killing her to get a check from  that life insurance on her. Old white women are poisioning their husbands and cashing in on the inheritience.  So...bad behavior is bad behavior despite the color of skin.  And tell you what.  Massa is not called massa for nothing.  He is the MASTER criminal.  He is the MASTER liar.  And if you  look real close my brotha you will find headlines in white neighborhoods depiciting the very thing you're talking about in black neigbhorhoods EXCEPT they say it in a different way....that white washed language....but!  It is the SAME evil behavior.  Hey whitefolks have soooooooo many unsolved murders where white victims are buried in woods, dismembered in backyards or refrigerators....but!  The difference?  Po po work hard to solved white crime.  So their stats go down.   Not so much with us.  So to say the REAL reason is because upperity blacks who feel going to low income black neighborhood are beneath them is because of the crime factor is just an subliminal EXCUSE to say to themselves that they are BETTER than the average black low income folks.  And clearly, most definitely....these self-entitled self-appointed...arrogant for no reason... KNEEGROWS ARE NOT!    What they truly are...are COWARDS.    But!

 

Originally Posted by Kocolicious:

  Oh I forgot!  Enuff said  But! 


Thank you!

 

It is no more than self-hatred and racism that even allows Black people of all people and White hatemongers to continue to bring through their teeth condemnations of ONLY Black people for things that are happening with ALL races of people in America.  It is so pitiful that there are still Black people living in this country that are still under the plantation brainwashing that makes them hate and demean Black people, while loving and holding White people up on a pedestal; it's quite disgusting.  But, I guess if you are a groveling knee-groe, it is only your true nature showing through, exposing a brain that is so weak-minded and gullible, that the fact that the Western propaganda machine is responsible for vilifying the entire Black race for the behaviors and actions of some Black people, while simultaneously cloaking the deviant, murderous, psychopathic behaviors of America's White racists and White people in general to the point of it falsely appearing that White people are less violent, more "moral", and more intelligent than Black people, alludes you.

 

I'm so glad that I was not raised to look down on everything Black and to look up to everything White.  I am so glad that my parents did not instill the kind of ignorance in me that it takes to have self-hatred.

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×