Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I do not fry anything and rarely eat fried foods.

Every now and then (once every 3 months or so) just to satisfy a craving, I will purchase some KFC, Popeyes or Churches Chicken. The same with fast food burgers, seafoods and additions items.

As we all know, fried foods are very bad for you, high in calories and saturated fats. This is the main reason humans, as a species, are overweight and unhealthy in general.

In addition, people who are not overweight or obese (naturally skinny or muscular) are not out of the woods either with fried foods because a diet of fried foods cooked in vegatable oils will clog your arteries over a lifetime and contribute to coronary heart disease.

Your arteries become clogged through a series of choices. These choices cover the foods you have chosen to eat over your lifetime and the level of exercise in which you have chosen to participate.

People who do not carry extra weight have the illusion that they are OK but they are not if, over lifetime, your diet is poor and you don't or do very little exercise.

And especially with Black folk and our love for our favorful contribution to American society, Soul Food, the slavery era generational staples that we are famously known for, which is cooked (especially fried) that is loaded with either lard (old school flavor) or vegatable oil.

Use cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil. This is one of the cases where extra money goes a long way in protecting your health. Getting healthy fats from fish oils is also quite expensive.

**The Most Dangerous Unhealthy Cooking Oils

http://www.associatedcontent.c...y_cooking.html?cat=5

**Healthy Cooking Oils:

http://www.tosasoft.com/cookingoils/

**These two list are subjective and biased by opinion at best.

In addition to the oils that you use, also consider the batter composition that you coat your food with (flour, corn meal) before you fry. tfro
Last edited {1}
quote:
Originally posted by Cholly:
I do not fry anything and rarely eat fried foods.



As we all know, fried foods are very bad for you, high in calories and saturated fats. This is the main reason humans, as a species, are overweight and unhealthy in general.

In addition, people who are not overweight or obese (naturally skinny or muscular) are not out of the woods either with fried foods because a diet of fried foods cooked in vegatable oils will clog your arteries over a lifetime and contribute to coronary heart disease.

Your arteries become clogged through a series of choices. These choices cover the foods you have chosen to eat over your lifetime and the level of exercise in which you have chosen to participate.

People who do not carry extra weight have the illusion that they are OK but they are not if, over lifetime, your diet is poor and you don't or do very little exercise.

And especially with Black folk and our love for our favorful contribution to American society, Soul Food, the slavery era generational staples that we are famously known for, which is cooked (especially fried) that is loaded with either lard (old school flavor) or vegatable oil.

thanks
quote:
Originally posted by MBM:
What makes fried foods unhealthy? Is it the oil that its fried in? If so, aren't there now healthy oils - like peanut oil etc. - that are better?


What makes fried food unhealthy is the chemical modification of the "fats" (fatty acids or lipids) in the oils. The fatty acids get chemically modified to more dangerous fatty acids by the work of free radical reactions, which are exacerbated by thermal changes (e.g. heat in deep frying).

The modified fatty acids then negatively affect the behavior of the proteins, DNA, and other fatty acids in your cells. When these cells happen to line your blood vessels, cardiovascular disease will occur.

quote:
Is ALL fried food bad for you?


All frying (in oil) is going to produce these chemical changes which are harmful to your cells. The degree to which they harm your cells enough to cause you functional problems depends on how often you ingest these modified fatty acids.

It is much safer to grill or sautee in cooking oils rich in omega 3 fatty acids.
quote:
Originally posted by ShayaButHer:
quote:
Originally posted by shulamite:
It is much safer to grill or sautee in cooking oils rich in omega 3 fatty acids.


yeah We don't fry anything...and I LOVE using Olive Oil.


The omega 3 fatty acids are really, really beneficial (plant and fish oils). What I appreciate is how anecdotally communities for ages have talked about "eat your veggies" or "eat fish, it makes your smarter/better" without knowing the biology (molecular mechanisms) behind the benefit.

We scientists now know the (molecular) biology pretty well, and it amazes me how much the findings confirm generational lore. The Italians, Ethiopians, and Meditteraneans had it right all along.

I would like to see Americans already down the pike wrt poor eating habits get real serious about taking these omega 3 supplements and statins (e.g. Lipitor). Cardiovascular disease, and diabetes, are reversible - something few people (especially AAs) realize.
quote:
Originally posted by Cholly:

And especially with Black folk and our love for our favorful contribution to American society, Soul Food, the slavery era generational staples that we are famously known for, which is cooked (especially fried) that is loaded with either lard (old school flavor) or vegatable oil.




ok, i feel ya,but how is Soul Food any worse for your health than mounds of corn, white potatoes, pasta, white bread and chunks of red meat? The typical american diet is full of starch and red meat.
quote:
Originally posted by negrospiritual:
quote:
Originally posted by Cholly:

And especially with Black folk and our love for our favorful contribution to American society, Soul Food, the slavery era generational staples that we are famously known for, which is cooked (especially fried) that is loaded with either lard (old school flavor) or vegatable oil.




ok, i feel ya,but how is Soul Food any worse for your health than mounds of corn, white potatoes, pasta, white bread and chunks of red meat? The typical american diet is full of starch and red meat.

The typical American diet as you say is not particularly healthy, but I would say that in general, Soul Food has higher levels of saturated fat and salt.

Greens are wonderful, but we have to throw in the fatback.

Fish and chicken may have certain advantages over red meat in the diet, but we got to fry it.

Yams/sweet potatoes have a fairly low glycemic index, but we have to add the butter and brown sugar.

If you are going to eat meat, there are lean cuts, but ribs are not it. In fact, any cut with rib in the name is probably pretty high in saturated fat.
quote:
Originally posted by kresge:
quote:
Originally posted by negrospiritual:
quote:
Originally posted by Cholly:

And especially with Black folk and our love for our favorful contribution to American society, Soul Food, the slavery era generational staples that we are famously known for, which is cooked (especially fried) that is loaded with either lard (old school flavor) or vegatable oil.




ok, i feel ya,but how is Soul Food any worse for your health than mounds of corn, white potatoes, pasta, white bread and chunks of red meat? The typical american diet is full of starch and red meat.

The typical American diet as you say is not particularly healthy, but I would say that in general, Soul Food has higher levels of saturated fat and salt.

Greens are wonderful, but we have to throw in the fatback.

Fish and chicken may have certain advantages over red meat in the diet, but we got to fry it.

Yams/sweet potatoes have a fairly low glycemic index, but we have to add the butter and brown sugar.

If you are going to eat meat, there are lean cuts, but ribs are not it. In fact, any cut with rib in the name is probably pretty high in saturated fat.


Mannnnn, kresge!! That sounds soooooo good!! Eek thanks

I'm about to go home and cook ALLADAT for dinner tonight!!!! eyes Big Grin

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×