Skip to main content


Hayes Takes Message to GOP Group
The L.A. activist for the homeless, who became a Republican in 2003, says his political views resemble those of Pacific Palisades audience.

By Amanda Covarrubias, Times Staff Writer

At first glance, the tall black man in white robe and dreadlocks seemed out of place Saturday in a room full of middle-aged Republicans gathered for a Christmas luncheon at Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades.

But Los Angeles homeless activist Ted Hayes, guest speaker at the monthly meeting of the Bel-Air Republican Women's Federation, said he holds political views similar to those of the group he was invited to address.

Hayes, who forsook a middle-class lifestyle years ago to live on the streets because he believed it would allow him to better serve the homeless, has been a registered Republican since 2003, he said.

Though that may surprise some, Hayes said in an interview that he hopes to carry his message to other conservative groups.

"I support President Bush, and I support the Republican Party," Hayes told the 50 men and women, dressed in their holiday best, who dined on poached salmon beneath the crystal chandeliers of a wood-paneled banquet room.

"I don't believe in the welfare state," Hayes said in his speech. "If you're poor, you're still expected to be a responsible citizen in this society. I believe in strengthening the hands of the poor where they can learn to stand on their own two feet."

He touched on a wide range of issues, emphasizing his belief in closing the U.S.-Mexico border to illegal immigration and his support of the war in Iraq.

Many in the audience clapped at his proclamations and during a question-and-answer session showed a keen interest in his activities on behalf of the homeless, black Americans and veterans.

Emily Garley of the Palos Verdes Peninsula said she might write him a check, but that's about it.

"I think he has some interesting ideas," Garley said after the speech. "But I think he has a long way to go. These people aren't going to run to skid row downtown to help him."

But Coleen Zeiser of Bel-Air, who with her husband has twice visited Dome Village, where Hayes lives, said she planned to return there with her minister.

"I'm impressed with him," Zeiser said of Hayes.

Aggie Hoffman, a Los Angeles attorney who invited Hayes to speak, said she agreed with his message.

"He very much believes in taking responsibility for yourself as opposed to waiting for the government or someone else to do it for you," Hoffman said.

The women were particularly curious about Hayes' work with Dome Village, a homeless encampment of white fiberglass domes near Staples Center that he established 12 years ago. Thirty-two men, women and children live in the village, along with pets, he said.

"When you have a group that diverse, there's going to be conflict," Hayes said. "When you have conflict, you resolve. And resolution leads to bonding, which leads to families."

Hayes has long been a political lightning rod, not only because of his conservatism but also because he left his wife and four children in suburban Riverside in 1984 to move to downtown Los Angeles after seeing a TV report about Tent City, a gathering of homeless people downtown.

Hayes said he wanted to reach out to the Republican women "” and similar groups "” because they have the financial means and political clout to support and lend legitimacy to his efforts, some of which have been shunned by mainstream African American leaders, who very often are Democrats.

"I would like to see us enter into a long-term working relationship," he told the crowd, adding later that he wanted to take the lead in bringing together African American conservatives.

"The more friends I make, like yourselves," he said, "the more we will unite.... If I'm making any kind of sense to you today, let us work together. Let's mobilize this massive force; let's turn this country around."

© MBM

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by MBM:

Hayes Takes Message to GOP Group

"The more friends I make, like yourselves," he said, "the more we will unite.... If I'm making any kind of sense to you today, let us work together. Let's mobilize this massive force; let's turn this country around."


Yeah, they're his friends and are chomping at the bit to lend their MONEY & CLOUT to his efforts at helping the homeless. After all, isn't that the main plank in the GOP platform, help those less fortunate... right after they fortify all the social safety nets?

It's a good thing they will be in place to help his former wife and kids that he left.

He's an idiot or a head case, or both!
I support his right to make his own political choices based on his life experiences and understanding.

I recall seeing him on "America's Black Forum" in which he handed Juilan Bond A PINK SLIP, dismissing him and several other so-called "Black Leaders" from the helm of Black socio-political consciousness. Bond did not quite know what to do with him.

As long as Hayes does not attempt to extend membership in the GOP with illusions of RACIAL PROGRESS then I don't have a problem with what he is doing. We have too many BRAINWASHED BLACK DEMOCRATS who believe "what is good for the Democrats is good for Black people". This is exactly what the "Black Democrats in Civil Rights Leaders clothing" want us to believe. They have lost themselves to such an extent that they no longer know where Democratic party interests end and where Black interests begin.

The fact that every major Black population center in this country has an abundance of Democrat leaders at the helm should tell everyone that party membership alone is not going to bring you to the "promissed land".
quote:
Originally posted by Isome:
quote:
Originally posted by MBM:

Hayes Takes Message to GOP Group

"The more friends I make, like yourselves," he said, "the more we will unite.... If I'm making any kind of sense to you today, let us work together. Let's mobilize this massive force; let's turn this country around."


Yeah, they're his friends and are chomping at the bit to lend their MONEY & CLOUT to his efforts at helping the homeless. After all, isn't that the main plank in the GOP platform, help those less fortunate... right after they fortify all the social safety nets?

It's a good thing they will be in place to help his former wife and kids that he left.

He's an idiot or a head case, or both!


It never ceases to amaze me how braindead some people can be.

So many poor and working-class Republicans believe that GOP jazz about "grassroots" and "heartland". The GOP is ruled by rich powerful White men who want to hold on to wealth and want to cut welfare and social spending reforms. What on earth makes him think they give two shits about him? Because they claim to represent the "grassroots"?

Some people are so gullible and taken in by a few "patriotic" words. Yes, the GOP cares so much about the common working man that they'll drive by and wave to you from their limosuines and roll the window down and shout, "Get a job!!" and drive off.

Yeah, they're real worker-oriented alright.
Last edited {1}
quote:
Originally posted by Empty Purnata:
So many poor and working-class Republicans believe that GOP jazz about "grassroots" and "heartland". The GOP is ruled by rich powerful White men who want to hold on to wealth and want to cut welfare and social spending reforms. What on earth makes him think they give to shits about him? Because they claim to represent the "grassroots"?


Yeah, I know right?! Wink

I sent you a private message, have you checked it?
quote:
As long as Hayes does not attempt to extend membership in the GOP with illusions of RACIAL PROGRESS then I don't have a problem with what he is doing.
You know... I think I pretty much agree with you on that.

My Motto Is: FUCK A DEMOCRAT!
... and MotherFUCK A Got Damn Republican!

That about sums it up! No Love, No Loyalty, No Blind Faith or any particular great expectation of one or the other. Just a mission that either has to go around, over or through whichever one is so availed. So, no delusions about either.
quote:
My Motto Is: FUCK A DEMOCRAT!
... and MotherFUCK A Got Damn Republican!

That about sums it up! No Love, No Loyalty, No Blind Faith or any particular great expectation of one or the other. Just a mission that either has to go around, over or through whichever one is so availed. So, no delusions about either.


Now if only you could cast this message to the MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH larger base of Black folks who have been convinced over time that "What is good for the Democrats is good for Black people".

As I have stated before - at this years "Tavis Smiley conference at New Birth - Jesse Jackson felt comfortable enough in a room full of Black folks to say "WE could win back the Congress in 2006".

WHO IS "WE"?

It could not have been "WE Black folks". Black folks have never controlled congress.

Why did Jesse feel so comfortable in being so loose with his assumptions? Could this by why the commonly heard tale of the "Democrats treaing Blacks as mistresses" is said? Jesse and others work on their behalf so cheaply?
quote:
Now if only you could cast this message to the MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH larger base of Black folks who have been convinced over time that "What is good for the Democrats is good for Black people".
STFU!!!

I keep telling you to SPEAK ENGLISH!!!
Given how that BULLSHIT is hardly relevant to the Black folks on this forum, this forum right here... you can just SHUT THE FUCK UP!

I could give a damn about your Talking Points and silly shit that resonates in your mind with your ridiculous and subjective surmises.

quote:
"What is good for the Democrats is good for Black people".
Now, how about you cast a little bit more brain power into your thoughts. There are plenty of reasons why the reality of the American political landscape would give you that impression. Funny how that is the BULLSHIT impression White CONservative, e.g., have and hold dear.

MBM, for one, has challenged the silliness of that notion of yours... So far, you've remained CHURCH MOUSE SILENT. So don't say shit to me, regurgitating BULLSHIT RHETORIC!

quote:
At this years "Tavis Smiley conference at New Birth - Jesse Jackson felt comfortable enough in a room full of Black folks to say "WE could win back the Congress in 2006".
We is it that your WHITE ASS is always talking about JESSE???

Jesse Jackson doesn't post here. Because he doesn't... STFU about Jesse!! It's just that simple, "WHITE BOY."
Either you engage the topic and the posters here and THEIR opinions, comments, remarks, etc.... or....
SHUT THE FUCK UP!
quote:
Now if only you could cast this message to the MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH larger base of Black folks who have been convinced over time that "What is good for the Democrats is good for Black people".


Constructive Feedback, I agree with you on this accaount. Sometimes I am dismayed by the Blacks who vote rank and file for every single Democrat in an election, whether it be local, state, or national. IMO, the Democratic party was good for us perhaps 40-50 years ago, but now they are just as bad as Republicans; the Repubs will straight out say that we as a people are too stupid to get anywhere, the Dems will imply it by lowering the bar. You'll get your affluent "liberal" yuppies who talk a good talk, but when it gets right down to it, they don't want you marrying their daughter or living in their neighborhoods. In a way, I almost respect the republicans who will say what they mean, and not mince words behind a banner of faux-liberalism. Granted, a lot of them are awful, awful, cold-hearted money vampires. I never understood why we, as a people, never threw our vote behind an independent. It maybe won't work for electing a president, but you'd be surprised how far that strategy would get in small, local elections. Then again, when you consider that less than half of all America votes in presidential election during a good year, if all eligible Blacks cast their votes in unison during a presidential election, we could certainly make an impression. But then I guess that gets into the whole falalcy of thinking of Black Americans as one single voting block who all think alike and hold the same political views.
yeah yeah yeah....but none of you unalikes will take a look at policy outcomes, how they affect black people and who is aligned with the beneficial policies and who is aligned with the adverse policies...if so, you rhetoric types wouldn't support what you do.....and the homeless brother probably will find out it was a ray-gun spending cut that helped him to the street.....ya'll sad indeed.......
quote:
But then I guess that gets into the whole falalcy of thinking of Black Americans as one single voting block who all think alike and hold the same political views.



**Since most blacks face the same level of dumb schit and share the same social realities, we do think and vote alike.....once again, what about the poor white types in the southern red states that vote GOP lock and barrel.....what in the hell is their problem? oh i forgot...they're white so they are smarter than blacks...once again, ya'lls sad.........as hell....
@all

Can you imagine this dude giving his speech and fielding questions at a Republican lunch? WTF? Was he the entertainment or something? Why the hell would they care about homeless people being trained? LOL That means they would have to subsidize the training which they honestly don't wanna pay for. I am sure they were thinking the mofos had a chance in public school.

WTF is he thinking? Getting up talking about homeless people don't need to be taken care of but they need to be given tools to help themselves? Isn't that still being subsidized? What the hell am I missing out of this?

Not only that he supports the war in Iraq? WTF does the war in Iraq have to do with people sleeping on the streets here? For every 1 million dollar smart bomb we drop on a 1982 Toyota with a machine gun (total cost 800 bucks) mounted on it we could use that money to build real houses or even help his homeless people for the cost of two or three bombs.

I mean how is freeing people who seem perfectly happy with Saddam's foot snugly up their ass helping homeless people?

Man if any of you Cali folks are reading this you should hunt this mofo down and shave him on sight for impersonating a black MAN........
quote:
Originally posted by safetyblitz:
@all

Can you imagine this dude giving his speech and fielding questions at a Republican lunch? WTF? Was he the entertainment or something? Why the hell would they care about homeless people being trained? LOL That means they would have to subsidize the training which they honestly don't wanna pay for. I am sure they were thinking the mofos had a chance in public school.

WTF is he thinking? Getting up talking about homeless people don't need to be taken care of but they need to be given tools to help themselves? Isn't that still being subsidized? What the hell am I missing out of this?

Not only that he supports the war in Iraq? WTF does the war in Iraq have to do with people sleeping on the streets here? For every 1 million dollar smart bomb we drop on a 1982 Toyota with a machine gun (total cost 800 bucks) mounted on it we could use that money to build real houses or even help his homeless people for the cost of two or three bombs.

I mean how is freeing people who seem perfectly happy with Saddam's foot snugly up their ass helping homeless people?

Man if any of you Cali folks are reading this you should hunt this mofo down and shave him on sight for impersonating a black MAN........


And the choir says "Amen".
quote:
This guy is a Republican, right? Him and his kind don't believe in Welfare or handouts.

HE SHOULD GET NOTHING.
Yeah, that is a pretty interesting (not!) twist:
quote:
Hayes said he wanted to reach out to the Republican women "” and similar groups "” because they have the *financial means* and political clout to support and lend legitimacy to his efforts...
Confused

Ahhh... Grab them Bootstraps Billy and start pullin'. I mean, that is all they say they need...

And, really, if all this BS line about Welfare, "hand-outs" and "DEPENDENCY" is serious then where is the talk about the WHITE DEPENDENCY from Founding Day 1 of the 'Republic' to (being generous) 1965?? I mean, that's like some serious DEPENDENCY that has never been called DEPENDENCY if we're talking about "handouts" and government supported, government sanction [racial] entitlements and privileges...

PS: That's when you know the shit is a fraud... When the most blatant example of said "Dependency" has never been framed as such in the mind of the "American" public, at large.

But, you have Ameri-NEGROES who are trained and endoctrinated in that same school of thought. Repeating and believing those FRAMES. DEPENDENT FRAMES.
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin41:
yeah yeah yeah....but none of you unalikes will take a look at policy outcomes, how they affect black people and who is aligned with the beneficial policies and who is aligned with the adverse policies


Can you give me an example? Chances are, the Dems policies would be more beneficial to us than anything a Republican can think of, but overall the policies of both major parties only hinder us, IMO.


quote:
...if so, you rhetoric types wouldn't support what you do.....and the homeless brother probably will find out it was a ray-gun spending cut that helped him to the street.....ya'll sad indeed.......


According to the article, he is a voluntary transient, meaning he was living a middle class life-style and chose to become homeless as some sort of political gesture.
quote:
.....once again, what about the poor white types in the southern red states that vote GOP lock and barrel.....what in the hell is their problem? oh i forgot...they're white so they are smarter than blacks...once again, ya'lls sad.........as hell....


1) I could care less what some incestuous white trash in Bumfuck, Alabama think or how they vote.

2) Your comparison is not an adequate one; poor white types are united by the common factor of income, geography, and culture. All Black people are not at the same socioeconomic level, nor do we all live in one state. Granted, poor, undereducated urban Blacks may all vote alike, just as poor, undereducated rural whites might. But poor rural whites are a subset of the whole white community in the USA. Blacks, on the other hand, are composed of a number of different social classes, economic classes, etc...An affluent Black man who grew up in a solid upper-middle class neighborhood, was university educated, married with two children, and owns a $600k house will probably not hold the same political views as a high school drop-out turned single mother on welfare in a large urban area, who tries to make ends meet to pay rent for a shoddy apartment in housing projects, and who herself grew up in a poor urban household. The only thing uniting such people would be racial origins. That's what I mean about the fallacy of thinking that we all think alike just because we happen to be the same race.
quote:
Originally posted by Michael:

"Hayes said he wanted to reach out to the Republican women "” and similar groups "” because they have the financial means and political clout to support and lend legitimacy to his efforts, some of which have been shunned by mainstream African American leaders, who very often are Democrats." by Ted Hayes


quote:
Hayes like I know the Democratic Party specifically through our own leadership have been a disgrace.


Perhaps Michael, but perhaps they just disagree with him.
quote:
Originally posted by MBM:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael:

"Hayes said he wanted to reach out to the Republican women "” and similar groups "” because they have the financial means and political clout to support and lend legitimacy to his efforts, some of which have been shunned by mainstream African American leaders, who very often are Democrats." by Ted Hayes


quote:
Hayes like I know the Democratic Party specifically through our own leadership have been a disgrace.


Perhaps Michael, but perhaps they just disagree with him.


The people who have had direct contact with our own elected representatives have seen the games played, such a sending their constituency on wild goose chases, being deceitful, etc., etc., .......

....to which it is certain that Ted Hayes has surely experienced this, which gave him no other recourse but to diss our own Black Democratic no good elected representatives.
quote:
Originally posted by UppityNegress:
quote:
.....once again, what about the poor white types in the southern red states that vote GOP lock and barrel.....what in the hell is their problem? oh i forgot...they're white so they are smarter than blacks...once again, ya'lls sad.........as hell....


1) I could care less what some incestuous white trash in Bumfuck, Alabama think or how they vote.

2) Your comparison is not an adequate one; poor white types are united by the common factor of income, geography, and culture. All Black people are not at the same socioeconomic level, nor do we all live in one state. Granted, poor, undereducated urban Blacks may all vote alike, just as poor, undereducated rural whites might. But poor rural whites are a subset of the whole white community in the USA. Blacks, on the other hand, are composed of a number of different social classes, economic classes, etc...An affluent Black man who grew up in a solid upper-middle class neighborhood, was university educated, married with two children, and owns a $600k house will probably not hold the same political views as a high school drop-out turned single mother on welfare in a large urban area, who tries to make ends meet to pay rent for a shoddy apartment in housing projects, and who herself grew up in a poor urban household. The only thing uniting such people would be racial origins. That's what I mean about the fallacy of thinking that we all think alike just because we happen to be the same race.




**No one cares what white people do when the comparison is made to demonstrate equalities or inequalities....and there are many middle and upper-class blacks who vote just like the poor because they are compassionate people........i'm one of em...as so far as the policy is concerned....go back and look at the AA threads and look at the data i posted about rising college enrollment and graduation rates (measurable policy outcomes) and see who the house negroes are that have a problem with those outcomes and try to use bullschit rhetoric to dismiss their house negro stance on the issue. and poor white people are not linked by shit....but poverty....just like poor blacks....damn near everything in this country from the hospital you are born in to the cemetery they plant ya in.....is centered around race or socioeconomic status.......which in the case of many blacks.....race is the reason they were marginalized..now poor whites.....I don't know what the f-k their problem is...in a country that favors them.......so until a black man with three degrees quits getting hassled by police like a poor urban cat, or followed in a store, or charged higher interest rates when his credit and income exceeds that of whites, then talk to me.....I could go on and on and on about the shit black people face...no matter WHAT their income is....why you think the store told Oprah to go f-k herself? anyone else they would have taken an key and opened it up for late shopping......and she has a BILLION dollars......what you fail to recognize...many blacks today with the things you mentioned....still grew up poor under some jim crow schit...and knows what political philsophy got them there....and if they are truly in the spirit of blackness....they reach back to pull their bretheren up also....politically, socially, economically or otherwise.........

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×