From London, apology on slavery



Mayor says city shares in blame

By Raphael G. Satter, Associated Press | August 24, 2007


LONDON -- An emotional Mayor Ken Livingstone apologized yesterday for his city's role in the trans-Atlantic slave trade, saying London was still tainted by it.
The notoriously outspoken Livingstone seldom apologizes for anything, but he choked up as he read an account of the brutal tortures suffered by slaves in Britain's Caribbean colonies. And the politician nicknamed "Red Ken" for his left-leaning views angrily denounced the role of his city's corporations in financing the trade.

"You can look across there to see the institutions that still have the benefit of the wealth they created out of slavery," Livingstone said, pointing through a huge window at the skyscrapers of the financial district. "As mayor, I offer an apology on behalf of London and its institutions for their role in the trans-Atlantic slave trade."

The Rev. Jesse Jackson praised the statement, saying the mayor broke important ground with his remarks. But he added that apologies should lead to reparations.

Livingstone did not explicitly mention restitution, but his tearful expression of remorse went further than a statement in March by then-Prime Minister Tony Blair on the 200th anniversary of the law that ended the slave trade. Blair expressed his deep sorrow, but did not make a direct apology.

Livingstone cultivates a maverick image, often clashing with the US ambassador and even battling his own party.

His apology on the city's behalf, coupled with a demand that London's day of commemoration be instituted nationally, thrilled the crowd at City Hall.

Livingstone said London would mark the horrors of slavery with an annual memorial day timed to coincide with the UN's International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition, held every Aug. 23.

London played a central role in the slave trade, outfitting, financing and insuring many of the ships that ferried slaves to plantations in the New World. Revenue from the trade helped fund the construction of London's docks.

London is not the first to apologize for the trade. Liverpool, one of the major slave-trading ports, formally apologized in 1999.

© Copyright 2007 Globe Newspaper Company.
http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe/articles/2007/0..._apology_on_slavery/
Original Post
JWC,

That is why the US will not offer an apology. They know it gives the reparations movement more momentum from a legal standpoint, i.e., an actual admission of wrongdoing, even though it is obvious.....
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin41:
JWC,

That is why the US will not offer an apology. They know it gives the reparations movement more momentum from a legal standpoint, i.e., an actual admission of wrongdoing, even though it is obvious.....


You are right!!!

We know that it is wrong for us to bring up our circumstance, and our on-going treatment under the law...under the law.

This is called 'fomenting'.

We are the evidence of the wrong-doing of the United States.

That is why we are called 'The card'.

The 'race card'.

The 'hate card'.

yada, yada.

Senator Obama is the living nightmare of the United States.

His public rating would go up and easy 25% if he were to stop calling himself an African American.

Think about it.

Sorry for the rant.


PEACE

Jim Chester
Yea all of these apologies are so very empty. The damage has been done and is continuing to be done. Whatever! Roll Eyes
fro I knew Blair would give a dry apology..cuz he is Bush's buddy [somewhat]..there will be no tears for slavery...however when Clinton apologized, he did go to where slaves were held in Africa before they were shipped out [I forget the name of the place]... But! The bottom line is money and image [power].... they don't want to give back the money and the lies. The arrogance of what they did to human beings was not only wrong but criminal. And there is a price for that.... it's coming. just a matter of time. In the long run, it's gonna cost them more than what they can pay...and they know it. fro
You know, it's funny you should say that, Koco!

I've been doing some thinking about this apology thing. I used to be anti-apology, figuring they could keep that $#!+ if it didn't come with some substantial compensation for the crimes committed against our people. Hollow words don't help the situation none!

But then, as I think about it ... maybe, at least parts, of America is trying to apologize. It has been part of the mission to make (those) people realize what they did to our ancestors and how and why they did it and, yes, be sorry for it! Because was a seriously horrendous thing. And, though probably not in the way we would like, those apologies are happening. Every time you turn around, somebody else is sorry! Eek

So maybe these are baby steps taking us closer to our goal. And the question of whether or not these apologies are sincere is anybody's guess, I suppose. But we have been demanding respect for the last 300+ years now ... and it's about time that that be recognized.

But still, those apologies aren't putting food on the table! Big Grin So, I'm not ready to jump up and down and do the happy dance about 'em just yet! But perhaps I will try to accept them in the spirit they are given. and wait for my meat and potatoes! Because as you've said, payday is coming ... it will get here, and the price is sho' nuff gonna be high!
quote:
Originally posted by Kocolicious:
fro I knew Blair would give a dry apology..cuz he is Bush's buddy [somewhat]..there will be no tears for slavery...however when Clinton apologized, he did go to where slaves were held in Africa before they were shipped out [I forget the name of the place]... But! The bottom line is money and image [power].... they don't want to give back the money and the lies. The arrogance of what they did to human beings was not only wrong but criminal. And there is a price for that.... it's coming. just a matter of time. In the long run, it's gonna cost them more than what they can pay...and they know it. fro


The place is called Goree Island. I hope that's the correct spelling for it. I remember on "The Amazing Race" this black couple went to Africa and Goree Island was one of the landmarks in the African continent that the couple went to visit. The last thing I remember about that episode was when the black male looked at the cramped places where the slaves were held until they were put on the ships. The brother just knelt down for several minutes and wept his eyes out. 7
Originally posted by EbonyRose
quote:
Hide Post
You know, it's funny you should say that, Koco!

I've been doing some thinking about this apology thing. I used to be anti-apology, figuring they could keep that $#!+ if it didn't come with some substantial compensation for the crimes committed against our people. Hollow words don't help the situation none!

But then, as I think about it ... maybe, at least parts, of America is trying to apologize. It has been part of the mission to make (those) people realize what they did to our ancestors and how and why they did it and, yes, be sorry for it! Because was a seriously horrendous thing. And, though probably not in the way we would like, those apologies are happening. Every time you turn around, somebody else is sorry! Eek

So maybe these are baby steps taking us closer to our goal. And the question of whether or not these apologies are sincere is anybody's guess, I suppose. But we have been demanding respect for the last 300+ years now ... and it's about time that that be recognized.

But still, those apologies aren't putting food on the table! Big Grin So, I'm not ready to jump up and down and do the happy dance about 'em just yet! But perhaps I will try to accept them in the spirit they are given. and wait for my meat and potatoes! Because as you've said, payday is coming ... it will get here, and the price is sho' nuff gonna be high!


fro It's a start....like the pebble thrown in the ocean...eventually the ripple effect will impact the entire world....maybe not in our time...but one day the stories of slavery will bring more than tears in the eyes of all humans and the evolution of that ramification will be to make sure it WILL NEVER happen again. And to acknowledge to our descendants that WE, Black folks, indeed come from a GREAT civilization...an apology at a time will set the stage and get the wheels turning... Giving our descendants back their entitled homage and true history in my opionion will be a step in the right direction. Cuz as of now our true legacy of greatness is dying.... there is a twisted shame in being "black." Our children's children deserve to know the truth. And that truth is....massa is not responsible for the amazing social contributions....we are! And that's important for our people as well as important for others who believed the "lies" massa told to justify dehumanizing an entire culture of advance civilization. I see it every day in the eyes of our children....the shame/low self esteem/anger/ cuz they don't understand why they feel soooo bad about being black/african.... it's time to set it straight. And a cup of apology from ALL those who caused this...those who became rich and powerful as a result of slavery....will one day eradicate the human crime against humankind....and true healing...and rediscovery will emerge. For our children's children. I feel it already. Feel it in the air. As 2pac points out: the rose from the concrete. It's already here. fro
quote:
Originally posted by Huey:
[QUOTE]The place is called Goree Island. I hope that's the correct spelling for it. I remember on "The Amazing Race" this black couple went to Africa and Goree Island was one of the landmarks in the African continent that the couple went to visit. The last thing I remember about that episode was when the black male looked at the cramped places where the slaves were held until they were put on the ships. The brother just knelt down for several minutes and wept his eyes out. 7



fro Yep that's the place. Smile It used to be a time back in the day....I couldn't even watch ROOTS. The beatings of Kunte Kante [sp] was too much for me. I was very radical and very young during those times. I hated massa but knew we all were in the same "playground" so I learned how to deal. I am better. Older. But still thinking about the cruelty of what our people went through...even today, bring tears to my eyes. fro
I don't understand why anyone would care.

If anything it is an insult that I would be expected to care.

I regard stupid consumerism as buying one's way into slavery but White Americans have been doing it for decades. Now there is a big deal about the housing bubble bursting. Sometimes I wonder where White people get the idea they are intelligent.

http://www.quantumcritics.com/content/view/123/38/

umbra
Again, an apology for slavery when they are still killing us in so many different ways in an effort to completely wipe us off the map or as many of us as they can. If you read up, we certainly better figure out a way we can do something about this before we literally have gas chambers built for us.
quote:
Originally posted by Yemaya:
Again, an apology for slavery when they are still killing us in so many different ways in an effort to completely wipe us off the map or as many of us as they can. If you read up, we certainly better figure out a way we can do something about this before we literally have gas chambers built for us.


To be honest, they're already built. It's called capital punishment. Kill a few of us in the electric chair and gas chambers, thus making a vacancy for the next gangbanger to fill.
quote:
Originally posted by Yemaya:
Again, an apology for slavery when they are still killing us in so many different ways in an effort to completely wipe us off the map or as many of us as they can. If you read up, we certainly better figure out a way we can do something about this before we literally have gas chambers built for us.


I totally agree. How can someone apologize for behavior they are still practicing in essense, even if the form is different(and actually arguable further reaching)?

quote:
Originally posted by Huey:
To be honest, they're already built. It's called capital punishment. Kill a few of us in the electric chair and gas chambers, thus making a vacancy for the next gangbanger to fill.


It's much broader than that...

Depopulation of a Planet Thinning Out The "Useless Eaters"
I read the link, Oshun and Aldous Huxley is on the mark. Propaganda is the number one way people are being made into slaves. Stuff like, well at least you have a job. Even though you're making considerably less than what you were 10 yrs ago and everything you need is now privatized and so loosely regulated that they can rob you deaf dumb and blind. I'ma leave it at that....

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×