Skip to main content

Why We Love Black Women

quote:
Originally posted by Sandye:
Dayum, is there anything at all that Brothers enjoy about Sisters besides eyes in the Den?


_____kiss_______ ____

Ok, Fellas here's your chance. On this thread we'll only be sending love.

QUESTION IDEAS: What are your favorite memories of loving a black woman? What sorts of things do you love about black women? If you're single, why do you still hold out hope of meeting the right Sista? If you've already met the right Sista what do you love about her?

GROUND RULES:

(1) No dissin', hatin', or negativity.

(2) You are allowed to praise the physical BUT if the person just before you has praised the physical you MUST praise something else (mental, spiritual, etc.).

(3) You are allowed multiple posts. In fact, you're encouraged to post often. This thread should always be in play. You might want to tell us one thing per week for example. But try not to hog.

If you break the rules then the moderator of this thread will apply spank

You all know the violence of which I'm capable Wink

PS: We can still gripe about each other. I just found all the nothing-but-griping depressing. I thought it would be nice to have one thread devoted to positivity. If there was nothing positive or nothing that we liked we wouldn't be on here griping now would we? Smile
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "I have not always been right, but I have always been sincere." ~ W.E.B. Du Bois ~~~~~~~~~~~
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by HonestBrother:

QUESTIONS: What is your favorite memory of loving a black woman?


Two quick memories immediately come to mind.

First: my mother used to always tell me that 'I can do anything I want to do'. That was a tremendously empowering and self-esteem enhancing message that continues to yield benefits to me to this very day.

Second: I have absolutely wonderful memories of my grandmothers lovingly rubbing my back when I was a child. There was no better feeling in the world than to be laying on either of my grandmothers' laps getting my back rubbed!

I have been so blessed to be surrounded by some absoultely wonderful, intelligent, confident, accomplished, strong, loving, and unconditionally supportive black women in my mother and grandmothers. I am so much the better because of them!! heart
I love the black woman's voice...No other race of women speak with such honey in their voices whether they're bougie proper or into mad ghetto slang - and I REALLY love it when they can switch from one to the other and back - like my mom...Maybe it goes back to my mother reading to me when I was a kid - one of my earliest memories...And you can hear it when they sing.... In my collection of soul records I heavily favor female singers.... The Divine Gladys Knight... hmmmmm.... Aretha... Whitney.... india arie ....the list goes on and on....

That was true for every black woman I've ever dated - loved that voice. And a woman who can sang? Let's not go there.

(I'm just getting warmed up)
Last edited {1}
quote:
Originally posted by HonestBrother:
I love the black woman's voice...No other race of women speak with such honey in their voices whether they're bougie proper or into mad ghetto slang - and I REALLY love it when they can switch from one to the other and back - like my mom...Maybe it goes back to my mother reading to me when I was a kid - one of my earliest memories...And you can hear it when they sing.... In my collection of soul records I heavily favor female singers.... The Divine Gladys Knight... hmmmmm.... Aretha... Whitney.... india arie ....the list goes on and on....

That was true for every black woman I've ever dated - loved that voice. And a woman who can sang? Let's not go there.

(I'm just getting warmed up)


Can't wait until you get hot! Sounds good so far. tfro
quote:
Originally posted by MBM:
quote:
Originally posted by HonestBrother:

QUESTIONS: What is your favorite memory of loving a black woman?


Two quick memories immediately come to mind.

First: my mother used to always tell me that 'I can do anything I want to do'. That was a tremendously empowering and self-esteem enhancing message that continues to yield benefits to me to this very day.

Second: I have absolutely wonderful memories of my grandmothers lovingly rubbing my back when I was a child. There was no better feeling in the world than to be laying on either of my grandmothers' laps getting my back rubbed!

I have been so blessed to be surrounded by some absoultely wonderful, intelligent, confident, accomplished, strong, loving, and unconditionally supportive black women in my mother and grandmothers. I am so much the better because of them!! heart


I love grandmothers. They hold the world's wisdom in their hands. Thanks for sharing your stories. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by HonestBrother:
What are your favorite memories of loving a black woman? What sorts of things do you love about black women?


I enjoy Black women's expressive mannerisms and dialogue (e.g., hands on hip, Come'here girl, and Chile please!). I enjoy how comfortable you feel in Black women's presence. Like Honestbrother, I too love hearing the melodic voice of Black women. Did I mention their distinctive and versatile beauty? They are by far the most artistically talented of all women, in the areas of song, dance, textile and hair design. Black women are also the most spirituallly conscious of all women, always searching for meaning in every experience and endeavor. My favorite memories are of all the Black women represented in my family and friends (e.g., Mothers, grandmothers, aunts, sisters, and new friends).
Last edited {1}
During the first couple of years of our marriage money was very scarce. I was in grad school and driving a cab in New York. My wife was in school and working in a day care center. We would meet up for dinner and well you know. One night I came home and the lights were off, candles lit, dinner on the floor. Wifey said she wanted a romantic dinner, no TV, no radio just our own sounds. Found out years later the electricity was cut off and she didn't want me to worry.

My mother is the proudest person I know. I needed several thousand dollars one year and I called her. She sent it two days later, turns out she sold the only piece of jewelry her mother was able to give her. She'd had it for thirty years. Took me 5 years to find the person and get it back.
I love Ruby Dee. Her talent and longevity. Her dignified beauty. Her eyes. And last but not least her lifelong devotion to Ossie Davis.

Ruby: "How to ride the rough waves in a relation long enough for the waters to get calm? When does it sink in that overcoming difficult times gets easier with practice? How do you drag some of the good feelings, good times vibrations into the stormy places? To love someone long and deep is a "consummation devoutly to be wished"!... It is day by day, one step at a time. It may not mean two bathrooms, but just some space, some privacy, some area to be alone. ...Unlike the wedding event, that takes place in a day, marriage is a long process that goes on at some level every day for the rest of your life....We have to learn how to live together... I thought I loved you, Ossie, when we got married, but as I see now, I was only in the kindergarten of the proposition. To arrive at love is like working on a double doctorate in the subject of Life." Source: joint biography, pages 430-431

Ruby: "It takes a long time to really be married. One marries many times at many levels within that marriage. If you have more marriages than you have divorces within the marriage, you're lucky and you stick it out." Source: First UU Church of Wausau

Ruby: "A trustworthy marriage has weathered temptation and anger and jealousy, resentment, self-righteousness and a little bit of selfishness. When you get over and get through that, then maybe you can see the light to love." Source: Ossie and Ruby: Is This the Love Affair of the Century? Ebony, 2/99

Attachments

Images (1)
  • ruby_dee_img
Last edited {1}
quote:
Originally posted by HonestBrother:

Ruby: "How to ride the rough waves in a relation long enough for the waters to get calm? When does it sink in that overcoming difficult times gets easier with practice? How do you drag some of the good feelings, good times vibrations into the stormy places? To love someone long and deep is a "consummation devoutly to be wished"!... It is day by day, one step at a time. It may not mean two bathrooms, but just some space, some privacy, some area to be alone. ...Unlike the wedding event, that takes place in a day, marriage is a long process that goes on at some level every day for the rest of your life....We have to learn how to live together... I thought I loved you, Ossie, when we got married, but as I see now, I was only in the kindergarten of the proposition. To arrive at love is like working on a double doctorate in the subject of Life." Source: joint biography, pages 430-431

Ruby: "It takes a long time to really be married. One marries many times at many levels within that marriage. If you have more marriages than you have divorces within the marriage, you're lucky and you stick it out." Source: First UU Church of Wausau

Ruby: "A trustworthy marriage has weathered temptation and anger and jealousy, resentment, self-righteousness and a little bit of selfishness. When you get over and get through that, then maybe you can see the light to love." Source: Ossie and Ruby: Is This the Love Affair of the Century? Ebony, 2/99


I love all of this. Wow, that's too powerful for words. tfro
quote:
Originally posted by Fagunwa:
During the first couple of years of our marriage money was very scarce. I was in grad school and driving a cab in New York. My wife was in school and working in a day care center. We would meet up for dinner and well you know. One night I came home and the lights were off, candles lit, dinner on the floor. Wifey said she wanted a romantic dinner, no TV, no radio just our own sounds. Found out years later the electricity was cut off and she didn't want me to worry.

My mother is the proudest person I know. I needed several thousand dollars one year and I called her. She sent it two days later, turns out she sold the only piece of jewelry her mother was able to give her. She'd had it for thirty years. Took me 5 years to find the person and get it back.


Awesome stories!
My favorite things about Black women? Where do I begin?

First: I LOVE THE WAY OUR WOMEN LOOK! I love how Black women look physically. Just something about brown skin just.......*shuddering*. Mmm! Mmm-mm-mmm. *shakes head* Forgive me for slobbering. tongue I love the way our women look: their hair, their eyes (there is just something about how Black women's eyes are shaped); their lips, their cheeks, the whole nine yards. I love the skin of our women from mellow-yellow light to mahogany and ebony black!


Second: I love the voices of our women. No other woman on earth can pull off a Black woman's voice. There is just so much earthiness and soul in the voices of our women (I love Alicia Keyes' voice, it makes me melt).


Third: Hmm...I love the intellect and sense of humor of our women. Black people have some of the best philosophical insights (and I really love the "working class/po' wisdom" of our people), and I love the humor of Black women.


*melting*

eyes eyes


BTW - ONCE AND FOR ALL, I'M A BROTHER, NOT A SISTA.
I love it when a black woman cooks to express her love & care for me. Especially those down south black women. These Sistas KNOW how to cook up on some food. And you can't get restaurant food that's as good or mo better....

Every time I go home my mom cooks up my favorite dish as only she an make it. And then I know I'm loved....

Come on you fellas, SURELY you can think up one new positive thought per week? Wink

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×