Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It's not finished, there are many, many more brothers and perhaps some sisters that I have not posted, but the stories that go with the pictures are heavy, I read of wives and mothers begging their sons, husbands or fathers not to take the assignment, I read of brother's about to retire this year, I read of a [white] husband who moved up his wedding so that he could come home to his wife and have a big celebration upon their next reunion, I read of a brotha who did his full tour, went back to college then went back in as a reservist to handle matter in Iraq, I read of brothers who believed in what was taking place over there, I read of brothas that was confident that they were helping a country that wanted our help, I read of recent high school graduates (too young to legally drink in a USA bar, but not too young to die)excited to 'see the world' (and now the hereafter), I read, and I read but now my heart hurts.

Because I know most of their intentions were true but their Commander and Chief's was not. This so called war is needless, this is foolish, it needs to STOP.

I will try to post more, maybe in time, brofrown maybe not. Where is the honor, the valor, the lesson.

We must heed the voice of reason, the voice of our Queens, the voice that makes sense ... we must listen.

[This message was edited by Our Empowerment on November 02, 2003 at 08:28 PM.]
Buffalo, N.Y.
David Evans Jr.

Pvt. David Evans Jr., 18, enlisted in the Army after graduating in 2002 from Kensington High School in his hometown of Buffalo, N.Y.

Evans, of the 977th Military Police Company, was killed May 25 when a munitions dump he was guarding in Diwaniyah, Iraq, exploded and the steel shelter he was in collapsed.

He leaves an infant son, David Kevonta Evans, who was born in February, a month after Evans made his last visit home on leave. "I wish he could be here to see him, to hold him and to tell him how much he loved him," said the baby's mother, Tamara Douglas. "He wanted to see his son so bad."

His father, David Evans Sr., said his son wanted to make something of himself. "It was his choice to sign up and protect us," he said. "I'm proud of him."

At Evans' funeral, dozens of young people wore T-shirts memorializing him. Evans' infant son was pictured on many, with the words: "The legacy still continues."

Mourners spoke of the sense of service clear in Evans that would lead him to the military with the goal of a career in law enforcement. As a high school student, he interned at City Hall.

Friend Mallory Lee recalled a telephone call that Evans said might be their last.

"I said, 'Don't say that. You're coming back. We're getting old. You're going to see my kids, I'm going to see your kids. We're getting old,'" said Lee, 18.

"He was the brother I never had," she said.
A Jamaica-born man who emigrated to Canada in 1997 died fighting with the U.S. Marines in Iraq, according to published reports.

Cpl. Bernard Gooden, 22, who was killed in a gun battle in central Iraq April 4, is the first Canadian to be killed in combat in the war to oust Saddam Hussein, according to one newspaper.

"All I'm hearing now in my head is: 'Your son Brent is dead. Brent is dead.' That's all I hear," his mother, Carmen Palmer, said April 8.

Gooden, an immigrant to the Toronto area from Jamaica, had served as a Canadian Forces reservist before joining the U.S. Marines in June 2001.

"He didn't go in (to the Marine Corps) wanting to fight," said his girlfriend, Elizabeth Knox.

Gooden's mother said her son felt so safe inside his tank that he called it home.

The family plans to hold a memorial service and bury Gooden at a banana and coffee plantation in Jamaica, where he played soldier games as a child.

Gooden came to Canada at 16 to live with his father, Bernard Sr., in Whitby, Ontario.

Gooden went to high school in Whitby and attended Centennial College and York University until the school was hit by a strike.

To pass the time during the strike, he went to Mount Vernon, N.Y., to visit his mother and never returned.

His father said he didn't know his son had joined the Marines until his sister told him that Gooden had been killed.

[we all know people with stories like this, it should not be]
San Diego, Calif.
Devon D. Jones

As a student at Lincoln High School, Army Pvt. Devon D. Jones, 19, of San Diego told his counselor that he wasn't interested in the military. He planned a career as a teacher.

But Jones recently returned to the school to proudly show off his Army uniform, said Wendell Bass, principal at the school.

"He said he'd had a change of heart and decided to go in," Bass said.

Jones, based at Georgia's Fort Stewart with the 3rd Infantry Division, died in Iraq when his vehicle plunged into a ravine, the Defense Department reported April 7.

Jones, who graduated from Lincoln High in 2002, was a good student, Bass said.

Jones had been a teaching intern at Kennedy Elementary School, located across the street from Lincoln High, Bass said.

"He had a desire to come back and teach English one day," Bass said. "He was just a real gentleman. He was a young man that was quiet but at the same time was well liked by everyone."

Jones bounced from foster home to foster home after his mother went to prison. Three years ago, he found Evelyn Houston and the family he would call his own.
Mobile, Ala.
Howard Johnson II

Army Pfc. Howard Johnson II, 21, of Mobile, Ala., was killed in action in Iraq.

"He was God's gift to us and the Lord has taken him away," said his father, the Rev. Howard Johnson, who pastors Truevine Missionary Baptist Church in Prichard.

His family says the deployment to the Persian Gulf was his first trip out of the country. His unit, the Army's 507th Maintenance Company, wasn't expected to see combat, but it was ambushed by Iraqi forces March 23.

Johnson, 62, said he and his wife, Gloria, with two daughters, had waited 17 years for a son.

Mrs. Johnson, her face wet with tears, said, "We had no idea war would break out and we would lose our son."

U.S. Rep. Silvestre Reyes, D-El Paso, a member of the House Armed Services Committee, said March 26 that the 507th Maintenance Company ran into a heavily armed Iraqi combat unit that included two tanks and automatic weapons when it made the wrong turn near An Nasiriyah.
Raleigh, N.C.
James I. Lambert II

Finally, Jacqueline Lambert got the news she'd been waiting months to hear: Her husband, Spc. James I. Lambert, was coming home from Iraq.

The couple (she is an Army sergeant) had been deployed to the Middle East in February. She returned in May to their home in Fayetteville, N.C., outside Fort Bragg. But on July 31, less than two weeks before he was due to join her, her 22-year-old husband was killed in Baghdad when he was struck by a stray bullet that the Pentagon said may have been fired in some kind of celebration.

Lambert, a Virginia native who graduated from a Raleigh high school, "was happy he was coming home," Jacqueline Lambert said. "He was excited."
[why did he jump?]
Orangeburg, S.C.
Vorn J. Mack

Pfc. Vorn J. Mack, 19, of Orangeburg, S.C., died Aug. 23 near Ar Ramadi, Iraq. Mack jumped into the Euphrates River and did not resurface; his body was found downstream Aug. 24.

Mack was with the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, based at Fort Carson, Colo.

Mack was roughly 5-foot-3 and 115 pounds when Sgt. Andre Boler saw him for the first time at Fort Carson in March.

"I thought he was someone's little brother, he was so young and little," Boler said. But that made no difference: "He was a great soldier." Mack would often cheer up soldiers with a cigarette or a story, Boler said.

A computer analyst, Mack began basic training a month after graduation from high school in 2002, his aunt Brinder Hicks said. He was one of five children, and one sister is in the Army in Kuwait.

"He was a little man with a big heart," Hicks said.
[50 with 6 children and still gambling with life? What was put in his brain to go looking for trouble for over 30yrs?]
Los Angeles
John W. Marshall

In his last dispatch before the war, 50-year-old John W. Marshall referred to himself as an old soldier with a clear purpose and little luxury to debate the reason for his mission.

"It's really not an issue with me. I am not a politician or a policy maker, just an old soldier," he wrote home in an e-mail. "Any doubts on my part could get someone killed."

Marshall, based at Fort Stewart, was killed April 8 by an Iraqi rocket-propelled grenade. He is the oldest U.S. military casualty of the [major]conflict in Iraq.

Marshall grew up in Los Angeles, enlisted when he was 18, and served stints in Korea and Germany. He and his wife, Denise, had six children, ages 9 to 17.

His mother, Odessa Mitchell, saw him in October before he headed to Kuwait, and never feared he wouldn't come home.

"That was something my son wanted to do. He loved the Army," she said.
Naw Bush victimized them by fighting to obtain oil and billions of dollars in contracts for his cronies....the unwritten affirmative action that benefits them only with YOUR tax dollars....while at the same time house negroes fight against the laws that would have increased opportunity for these individuals and made them skip the war in the first place.......
What is the matter with you ThaWatcher? These pictures bring home to some of us the level of the tragedy unfolding and how far some bastards would go in the name of money. Look at them ThaWatcher, they died for your President and his cronies to make a fast buck.

Is it just talk or are you for solutions? If you are GENUINELY interested in solving black problems? Then join us at

[This message was edited by henry38 on November 04, 2003 at 11:19 AM.]

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.