Skip to main content

 

***STORY DEVELOPING***........

 

Each of the 1,500 invitations to Whitney Houston's funeral in Newark, N.J. admits just one, but apparently her ex-husband Bobby Brown did not receive that memo.

 

According to New Jersey paper The Star Ledger, the R&B singer, 43, arrived outside of the New Hope Baptist Church Saturday afternoon with an entourage of nine people in tow, demanding that they all get seats in the front row.

 

While Brown's agent, Jeff Allen, told E! News the singer left early to make it in time to his concert tonight (the New Edition show starts at 8 p.m. EST Saturday night in Connecticut), Twitter was abuzz with speculation of what might have gone down, due to tweets from the media and funeral-goers.

 

"I am at Whitney's funeral. I spoke with Bobby Brown trying to calm him down and not distract from the services. Today is about Whitney!," Al Sharpton tweeted. "I am going back in the services, I did my best out here. Can't tweet from inside the sanctuary, I hope the press will not distort the day."

 

Meanwhile, Access Hollywood host Shaun Robinson tweeted that Brown left the establishment because of a seating arrangement dispute.

 

PHOTOS: Whitney and Bobby's family album

 

The paper adds that Brown himself was allowed in, but he opted to leave with the rest of the people not admitted.

 

"He was allowed to go in, pay his respects and then he had to leave," a witness tells Us Weekly. "He was red-eyed going up to the casket and then left. He was there for 15 minutes."

 

MORE: Mariah Carey: Whitney Houston's Death "Was Tough," Says Hubby Nick Cannon

 

A source has told Us that there is still underlying tension between Houston's relatives and Brown, who married Houston in 1992. Their divorce was finalized in 2007.

 

"There are family members who felt Bobby drove Whitney into drugs," one source explained. "But now Bobby is clean and Whitney has unfortunately passed. So there's resentment."

 

VIDEO: Whitney's ups and downs

 

Brown is expected to perform at his scheduled concert, which takes place at the nearby New Jersey Performing Arts Center.

 

http://wonderwall.msn.com/musi...in-tow-1667674.story

 

http://www.eonline.com/news/wh...leave_whitney/295422

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Bobby Brown Explains Why He Left Whitney Houston’s Funeral

 

Bobby Brown left Whitney Houston’s funeral at Newark, N.J.’s New Hope Baptist Church shortly after the service began.

 

In a statement put out by his representative, he explained, “My children and I were invited to the funeral of my ex-wife Whitney Houston.  We were seated by security and then subsequently asked to move on three separate occasions.

 

“I fail to understand why security treated my family this way and continue to ask us and no one else to move,” he said.  “Security then prevented me from attempting to see my daughter Bobbi-Kristina.

 

In light of the events, I gave a kiss to the casket of my ex-wife and departed as I refused to create a scene. My children are completely distraught over the events. This was a day to honor Whitney. I doubt Whitney would have wanted this to occur. I will continue to pay my respects to my ex-wife the best way I know how.”

 

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/en...ey-houstons-funeral/

 

Last edited by Cholly
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Just finished watching the funeral about 45 minutes ago.  Simply beautiful.  However, something tells me the family had a thang to do with not accommodating Bobby.  They probably didn't want him to come.  And no it wasn't fair that they didn't accomodate him cuz he brought his children....but!  Cissy most likely didn't care and didn't want to hear about whining Bobby on her daughter's day.  Dionne probably just turned her head making it absolutely CLEAR:  Bobby's presence is not wanted.  Bottom line.  Personally, I don't blame them.  He should have discussed with them earlier how many folks he was bringing.  Did he?  Don't know.  But already he was making it about HIM.  If, and only IF he was any kind of MAN...father....he should have concentrated on being there for his daughter.  If that meant, coming there ALONE.  But as always.....Bobby shows who he is every time. Even when it is NOT about him.  Too bad....not sad.  But! 

Beautiful homegoing ceremony.

 

Somebody invited him and his kids but it surely wasn't Whitney's mother Cissy Houston or aunt Dionne Warwick and why did Bobby bring other people besides himself and his children?

 

An invitation only funeral service and yes they were wrong but I have been to a funeral where family of the deceased had issues with friends or other family(s) of the deceased and the fact that a funeral for a loved one is happening it does not ease their angered emotions for that person or persons that they find fault with especially when that person or person(s) had a direct negatve relationship with the deceased person.

 

Sitting in the church before services, I was told by two family members (and they were dead serious)....."that if she shows up to the funeral or the burial cemetary, she's gonna get her ass kicked".

 

Bobby's mistake (common sense mistake) was that he should have came alone only and/or with his children (since Whitney was a step-mother to them also) and leave the others behind.

 

Plus i heard that since Whitney's death, Bobby hadn't seen his daughter Bobbi Kristina eventhough he flew in the next day after she died when daughter Bobbi Kristine was hospitalized due to stress.

 

If that's the case, it's all about grandmother Cissy and auntie Dionne command and control running interference and eventhought he received an invite, upon sight, they decided on the spot to get rid of him.

 

As beautiful as it was, it's now all "TMZ" type tabloid fodder because of this incident.

Last edited by Cholly

Okay ... this is "off topic" ... but, kinda-sorta related in a offhanded way!! 

 

First ... I haven't seen Whitney's funeral yet (taped it) because I had to go to a funeral myself of a relative that started at the same time.    So .. I'll have to comment on that later.

 

Secondly, though ... the funeral was about 60 miles away in my father's home town .. where most of his family still lives, but, the cousin that died actually lived in Michigan ... but as brought "home" to be buried.

 

Apparently, there were MAJOR family squabbles going on (that my Dad and I knew nothing about!!) because, while the service was a nice, small town, southern, Baptist, lot of singing and praying-type funeral, when it came time for "Expressions" ... almost everyone who (went past their "2 minutes only, please") time to talk about the deceased, instead talked about "being a family" and "loving each other" and "not wasting time being mad" and "be sure to tell those STILL here you love them because you never know when they'll be gone" .... and there was a lot of crying and hugging and talking about not talking to each other for years!! 

 

I mean .... even the eulogy (given by his pastor nephew!) was about mending fences and being good Christians (being nice/good to other people even if they're not good/nice to you!!)

 

My Dad and I were like, "Huh???"   ... because most of them didn't really say much about cousin "Little Jack" .. who we were there to memorialize!!!  Come to find out there was no mention in the program about his "surviving" sisters, brothers, uncles, aunts, etc. because some members of the family didn't like other members of the family and didn't want them mentioned while others were insisting they did!! 

 

I only met him a couple of times at family reunions 'cause he lived in Detroit and we lived in Cali.  He was considerably older than me (in my bro and sis's age group!), but the times I did see him, we'd talk about "the old days" for hours!  He was a very interesting guy!!

 

But ... it's unfortunate that his funeral was more about his fighting/feuding/now-trying-to-kiss-and-make-up family than it was about him!!  Afterwards, we went to "fellowship" at a dining hall at another church.  There, everyone ate and immediately left ... leaving me and my Dad (who drove the farthest to get there!!) sitting there alone.  Like nothing had even happened that day. 

Originally Posted by EbonyRose:

Okay ... this is "off topic" ... but, kinda-sorta related in a offhanded way!! 

 

First ... I haven't seen Whitney's funeral yet (taped it) because I had to go to a funeral myself of a relative that started at the same time.    So .. I'll have to comment on that later.

 

Secondly, though ... the funeral was about 60 miles away in my father's home town .. where most of his family still lives, but, the cousin that died actually lived in Michigan ... but as brought "home" to be buried.

 

Apparently, there were MAJOR family squabbles going on (that my Dad and I knew nothing about!!) because, while the service was a nice, small town, southern, Baptist, lot of singing and praying-type funeral, when it came time for "Expressions" ... almost everyone who (went past their "2 minutes only, please") time to talk about the deceased, instead talked about "being a family" and "loving each other" and "not wasting time being mad" and "be sure to tell those STILL here you love them because you never know when they'll be gone" .... and there was a lot of crying and hugging and talking about not talking to each other for years!! 

 

I mean .... even the eulogy (given by his pastor nephew!) was about mending fences and being good Christians (being nice/good to other people even if they're not good/nice to you!!)

 

My Dad and I were like, "Huh???"   ... because most of them didn't really say much about cousin "Little Jack" .. who we were there to memorialize!!!  Come to find out there was no mention in the program about his "surviving" sisters, brothers, uncles, aunts, etc. because some members of the family didn't like other members of the family and didn't want them mentioned while others were insisting they did!! 

 

I only met him a couple of times at family reunions 'cause he lived in Detroit and we lived in Cali.  He was considerably older than me (in my bro and sis's age group!), but the times I did see him, we'd talk about "the old days" for hours!  He was a very interesting guy!!

 

But ... it's unfortunate that his funeral was more about his fighting/feuding/now-trying-to-kiss-and-make-up family than it was about him!!  Afterwards, we went to "fellowship" at a dining hall at another church.  There, everyone ate and immediately left ... leaving me and my Dad (who drove the farthest to get there!!) sitting there alone.  Like nothing had even happened that day. 

Unfortunately EbonyRose, far too many funerals are like what you just described. Either the fighting starts upon the moment the person has died and moves forward through the years or starts because someone else died earlier and carried forward. So sad.

“My children and I were invited to the funeral of my ex-wife Whitney Houston.  We were seated by security and then subsequently asked to move on three separate occasions.

 

“I fail to understand why security treated my family this way and continue to ask us and no one else to move,” he said.  “Security then prevented me from attempting to see my daughter Bobbi-Kristina.

 

In light of the events, I gave a kiss to the casket of my ex-wife and departed as I refused to create a scene. My children are completely distraught over the events. This was a day to honor Whitney. I doubt Whitney would have wanted this to occur. I will continue to pay my respects to my ex-wife the best way I know how.”

=================================================================



Whoever did this is full of sh!t!  So, it is o.k. for a child molester to sing at her funeral, but her ex-husband and step-children are harassed and asked to move, three times, AND security kept him from seeing his own daughter at such a time as her dead mother's funeral/keep this grieving daughter from seeing her own father at her dead mother's funeral.  Hell, people are really probably trying circle the wagons around Whitney's money under the guise of hating on Bobby or protecting Bobby Christina.

 

I have no more respect for this family whatsoever.  Damn, at a funeral.

  Yep!  Child molester was there and sang his heart out!  This is true.  I couldn't help but wonder why but know that he wrote "I look to you" for Whitney ten years before she finally recorded it and the song was close to her heart.  So in that I think it was ALL about the song and not about the child molester. 

 

As for Bobby Brown, welll...as a mother of adult daughters, if one of 'em married an azzwipe like this man who literately destroyed not only my daughter's high profile career but damaged her soul, spirit and mental state....that mofo wouldn't get two counties NEAR my child if I had ANY say so.  Believe that.  Bobby's public history of abuse with Whitney is CLEAR.  I'm like the FAMILY...don't give a FOCK what your relationship  is....you weren't there before....didn't give a shit about seeing your daughter before....[yeah you came to Cali for the media's sake...but!  You weren't really there physically to be by her side cuz if so....you wouldn't have EVER left..She would have been with you in the interiem...did that happen?  Nope.  As a parent, I wouldn't have left my child under any circumstances....concert or no.  Yet he did.] 

 

Folks can say what they want about whether or not Bobby influenced Whitney's downfall....but!  The proof is in the pudding in what came outta Whitney's mouth...and her irrate behavior during and after her tubulent relationship with bad- boy- no- respect for women hoodrat Bobby Brown.  As I had stated before Whitney thought she could fix Bobby.  Like a lotta black women think when they get together with a bad apple...they think their LOVE will conquer all.  The bottom line is Bobby PLAYED Whitney.  Didn't give a shit that they were married and had a child.  Hell...he had babies in almost every port.  At one while, Whitney was paying child support for him....if that's not being played I don't know what is. We as a culture like to hide under the cloth of denial when the truth is blazing like the burning sun.  Everyone with common sense knows that Bobby Brown married Whitney cuz of her fame and money.....just like pimp daddy's do.  But this time he married someone who had family members who didn't turn the other way.  Was waiting to kick his azz big time if he focked up.  This marriage Bobby got involved with entailed black folks who CARES about each other-something apparently he KNOWS nothing about.  Cuz had he, he would have done the RIGHT thing in the very beginning. 

 

I'm not saying that Bobby FORCED Whitney to select this destructive lifestyle that ultimately killed her....I'm saying when you lay with DOGS you get up with fleas.  And everybody KNOWS...within the sound of my voice...Bobby Brown is a DOG.  Through the years of his marriage to his wife, he referred himself as Whitney Houston's husband.  What is that saying?  So to close, me myself I would have DONE the SAME damn thang.  Fock Bobby.  He's still living....Whitney, however, is not!

Brotha Cholly wrote:   Bobby's mistake (common sense mistake) was that he should have came alone only and/or with his children (since Whitney was a step-mother to them also) and leave the others behind.

 

  Yep!  He should have put on his big boy pants and respect the life that he had with his ex-wife by coming ALONE.  Cuz I do not believe for one minute Cissy or Dionne would have kept his children from saying good-bye to Whitney.  It's all about the drama.  A real grown up would have stated that he is bringing his children.  So the whole truth about this situation is not being told.  However, we all know how Bobby rolls.  So....are we surprised at this?  I'm not.


Plus i heard that since Whitney's death, Bobby hadn't seen his daughter Bobbi Kristina eventhough he flew in the next day after she died when daughter Bobbi Kristine was hospitalized due to stress.

 

I heard something like that too.  He should have NEVER left his daughter side.  He should have made arrangements with New Edition and came back on tour AFTER the funeral-not the SAME day.  What is that saying?  Whitney gave you 17 years of her life.....and you can't give her a focking DAY?  Folks can say what they want....but!  This shows...this stunt right here shows EXACTLY who Bobby really is.  And a man is not a part of that equation....nor is being "human."  And we won't talk about being a parent and there for "your child" during a tender fragile time of need.  This mofo jumped back on a plane or drove back to where he would appear for a concert AND never look back.  Pitiful.  Modeling a sick example to his boys who are looking at him for some form of guidance.  Bobby is the EXAMPLE of black men....who don't grow from boys to men...he is stuck on being a "BOY.' This behavior I pen " manchild suspended in the slave mentality"-a morbid condition that continues to cripple many of our black males.  But!  To hear Bobby tell it....it is all about not letting him see Whitney.  Typical child ranting and whining.  Quite frankly, I don't think he has the ability to grow up.  He is studded.  Poor Kristina.  I truly hope that the family will continue to wrap their love around her as she continues to evolve into full blown womanhood.  Right now....she needs her family....more than ever. BTW:  I don't think ANYONE in Whitney's family is focusing on the money[maybe Bobby Brown....but not Whitney's mother or brothers or other family members]....I think the focus is on Bobby Kristina.  Cuz money can be MADE...but money can NEVER bring back the DEAD.  And the family has what you call "old money" and understand the dynamics of it.  So I don't think Whitney's money is on their mind...probably more about protecting Bobby Kristina's inheritence from Bobby, if there is a thought.  But I'm sure everyone''s trying to push through the pain of loss.    
 

Last edited by Kocolicious

I'm sorry, but I still believe that Bobby Brown has been given a bad rap.  Whitney was not a child when they got together, she was 30 years old and she was 7 years HIS senior.  People that know Whitney have said that she was doing cocaine BEFORE she hooked up with Bobby and Bobby has stated that SHE introduced HIM to cocaine.  Of course, I don't agree with a man marrying a woman and still going out womanizing and getting outside children during the marriage, and especially not being violent to a woman in any way, but we ALL know that stuff like that does happen in marriages and relationships.  But, I really don't think that Bobby Brown should be called a 'hoodrat'; I really don't think anyone should be called that merely because they may have grown up in an all or predominately Black community and/or without money and fame.  They BOTH were young and in 'the industry' and Bobby cannot be blamed for her downfall, merely because it happened to her just like it has with many, many stars in that industry.  

 

And, evidently, Whitney forgave Bobby for his transgressions considering that she stayed with him so long after they occurred and had nothing bad to say about him during her recovery, so who in the hell is her family to keep him from saying goodbye to his own daughter during Whitney's funeral?  Why would he NOT sit with the 'family' since they were once married and have a daughter together?  

 

Once a person dies, all is forgiven, all your physical negativity ceases to exist as you return to the pure love of the universe where there is no hate, no evil, not animosity, and no one seeks punishment or retribution.

 

No, what they did was just plain dirty as hell and karma is a bitch.  

Originally Posted by sunnubian:

I'm sorry, but I still believe that Bobby Brown has been given a bad rap.  Whitney was not a child when they got together, she was 30 years old and she was 7 years HIS senior.  People that know Whitney have said that she was doing cocaine BEFORE she hooked up with Bobby and Bobby has stated that SHE introduced HIM to cocaine.  Of course, I don't agree with a man marrying a woman and still going out womanizing and getting outside children during the marriage, and especially not being violent to a woman in any way, but we ALL know that stuff like that does happen in marriages and relationships.  But, I really don't think that Bobby Brown should be called a 'hoodrat'; I really don't think anyone should be called that merely because they may have grown up in an all or predominately Black community and/or without money and fame.  They BOTH were young and in 'the industry' and Bobby cannot be blamed for her downfall, merely because it happened to her just like it has with many, many stars in that industry.  

 

And, evidently, Whitney forgave Bobby for his transgressions considering that she stayed with him so long after they occurred and had nothing bad to say about him during her recovery, so who in the hell is her family to keep him from saying goodbye to his own daughter during Whitney's funeral?  Why would he NOT sit with the 'family' since they were once married and have a daughter together?  

 

Once a person dies, all is forgiven, all your physical negativity ceases to exist as you return to the pure love of the universe where there is no hate, no evil, not animosity, and no one seeks punishment or retribution.

 

No, what they did was just plain dirty as hell and karma is a bitch.  

I agree.  People can blame Bobby Brown for the bad marriage, myself included, if they want to...HOWEVER, Whitney picked Bobby, just like she picked or decided to do drugs (and some say she was taking drugs before she even KNEW Bobby; she was able to hide it better in the pre-Internet 80s).  Unless he literally put a gun to her head to take those drugs, she CHOSE to do those drugs.  Hell, she's older than Bobby so she really should've known better.  When her debut album dropped in '84, she was 21.  Bobby was 15.  How many 21 year olds take advice from teens?  Not that many.

 

Here's another question...how in the HELL they can kick out Bobby Brown, but let that Kardashian-pumping, living in his sister's shadow, RAY-J, stay?  SMH.

 Well....if that's the case in terms of Whitney's drug use BEFORE Bobby.  I'd like to know who these folks are....who know for sure.  Cuz where I stand....Whitney wasn't an angel but she was GREEN when it came to a hoodrat bad boy with noooooooo respect for women Bobby Brown.  She had only dated a few men before Bobby, one of 'em was Eddie Murphy....and there was rumor even during those times that Whitney was really GAY[having a long term relationship with a friend name Robin...that's was in the 80s.] and because of the Church and her family....now that she in the public eye...it was imperative that she changed that "gay" image that was circulating around town.  Through all that...I NEVER heard anything about her being involved in "cocaine" and in those days cocaine was at its height.  And I'm sure that the tabolids back then would have a field day and absolutely LOVED to include Whitney being a drug addict along with her being gay.  But there was no mention of that....until DEAR Bobby.  And hey I'm not saying that Whitney didn't indulge in drugs...cuz quite frankly one doesn't really what others do behind closed doors. And in generations past [especially in the entertainment business] that sort of thing was always kept hushed...until it spilled into the streets:  Richard Pryor, Esther Phillips, Billie Holiday,  Marvin Gaye, Huey Newton....just to name a few.  

 

But if you are around a person who is doing DRUGS....all the time[while spending YOUR money] as you are so deeply in love[with little experience in long term relationships]....most times you want to join in.  It's natural.  Yes, she was a grown woman, 25, when they started dating....and he 20.  Yes he was 23 and she 28 when they married....but!  They were STILL young under my definition of youth.  And just cuz you are legally an adult....doesn't mean you are mature, capable of making grow up decisions....cuz clearly at the age of 23 Bobby already had at least 3 to 4 children...next to Whitney's None! 

 

And yes I am throwing Bobby under the bus, cuz he is a typical hoodrat pimp mentality azzwipe who uses women then discards them as if they are toilet paper.  Yes I am throwing Mr.Brown in the lions' den cuz he had an opportunity to grow the fock up....and he chose not to.  And he KNEW that Whitney lacked experiences in the areas where he was a pro:  DRUGS!!! Hoodratism.  Triflism.   Besides alladat....there is absolutely NOTHING good about his soul.  I watched his little piss azz reality show....I assessed his behavior[that's what I do]....it didn't take me long to determine what kind of brainless prick he was.  Unfortunately, Whitney didn't have those skills.  Had she when he asked her out....she would told him HELL NO!  But those antennas weren't up. 

 

You see Whitney and Bobby relationship is typical.  I see it in the hood all the time.  Where an uneducated, twisted in the head azzwipe with a self-destructive gang mentality makes it his game to play on unsuspecting young women looking for love.  He uses his charm and talent for fun to lure them in his cage....and then BAM!  They are hooked...just like Whitney was-she has admitted this on several occasions.  So.  For me, he is poison to his community and to any woman who comes into radar contact with him.  Cuz he is only out for himself!  In addition, I will continue to throw his azz out in the Atlantic Ocean cuz he continues to prove he is NOT a father.  You would think he would STOP having babies after his divorce.....hell he's 42 years old....but!  No...what did genius do?  Less than two years this fool gets another unsuspecting female PREGNANT. Wouldn't be so bad if he was a true father to his other abandoned children[who at one time Whitney had to pay for].

 

Bottom line is his don't gve a shit I'm a celebrity BEHAVIOR....and it is this immature behavior that tells me that Bobby Brown is not only an uncooked troubled MAN[looking for some kind of self-power to define worthiness]...but!  He is an irresponsible [always in and out jail]father who keeps adding children to his pool.  What is it that he is trying to prove?  That's the million question.  I'm just KEEPING this real yall.....but!  

Last edited by Kocolicious

Quote by Huey: "Here's another question...how in the HELL they can kick out Bobby Brown, but let that Kardashian-pumping, living in his sister's shadow, RAY-J, stay?  SMH."

 

How?....because the entire Houston family has collectively found (coupled with the many Bobby Brown critics) their scape goat to justify (in their minds and convince others) the reason for the death of Whitney Houston....ex-husband Bobby Brown.

 

Unfortunately, to his dismay and added to his leg­acy of personal celebrity mishaps, Bobby (rightly or wrongly) will/is being blamed for "addicting" Whitney to drugs and cont­ributing squarely to her death while dating/being mar­ried and Whitney's family will be/is in total denial, now and til for­ever having Bobby Brown to directly blame, poin­t the finger and to her dismay, daughter Bobbi Kristina is caught in the middle; will be a huge pawn in this blame game, will be conditione­d by the entire family (especially during this period of severe grieving) to believe the very same trying their best to keep her away (both mentally and physically) from her father.

 

And it all started right after Whitney died by the family denying his daughter access to her father when she needed him the most; at the highest point of her grieving.



Whitney was doing drugs before Bobby and her enablers pre-Bobby was her family...Dionne Warwick (marijuana use/arrests) and possibly her mother Cissy Houston who was big in the music business in the 70's.

 

But in their minds, their contributions to Whitney drug use never existed and doesn't count at all.

 

Bobby's inclusion in her life (rightly or wrongly) "expanded" her drug use (the reality show "Being Bobby Brown" exposed Whitney's true personalit­y  which was not hidden and well-crafted by handler Clive Davis and what she displayed was not drugs; that's exactly who she is/was before Bobby) and he will be forever the reason, the fall guy for her death; not family/fri­ends/busne­ss associates­/the music industry itself that has contribute­d to the drug deaths of many superstar artists.

 

All the blame will be pointed to and placed directly on Bobby's lap.

 

And I'm with you Huey. Whitney did what she wanted; was not forced to do anything she didn't want to do and she had countless opportunities to get away and clear herself from a very troubled Bobby Brown.

 

When Dionne Warwick said "next up is R. Kelly" I was like WTF!..What is he doing there and all I thought about while he sang was all his bull shiggity.... child molesting ass.

 

And another thing that puzzled me. The fact that throughout the funeral, the entire Winan's family were an impression; seemed to imaged as be a huge influence on Whitney from her younger years to womanhood to music superstardom.

 

If Whitney had all that 'aura of religious influence" surrounding her coupled with the celebrity/influence the Winan's have both in the music business and throughout the religious Black gospel world themselves (to include the pulpit ministry), where were they singular or collectively, throughout the years of all of Whitney's personal/professional troubles?

 
Last edited by Cholly

 It is just beyond me why people see Bobby Brown the way that they do.  Considering how most men are in general, he seems about average to me.  I don't see where he even got a "bad boy" reputation.  And, I don't see him as some gang member thug (considering his "gang", "thug" life ended at age 11); and I don't condone his ever being violent with Whitney or his womanizing, but, even that happened when they were younger and heavily into drugs and alcohol by then, AND Whitney was the first one to jump into his arms upon release from prison.  

 

I just don't see all the hate for Bobby Brown, who went from being a teenager singing with New Edition, to their group going downhill to marrying Whitney while he was only in his early twenties.

 

===============================================================

 

 

Synopsis

Born in Boston in 1969, singer Bobby Brown became famous in the 1980s and early 1990s for hits including "Don't Be Cruel" and "Humpin' Around." His musical fame, however, became eclipsed in the late 1990s by his troubled marriage to pop star Whitney Houston, who he eventually divorced in 2007.

 

Early Life

Robert Brown was born on February 5, 1969, in the hardscrabble Orchard Park projects in the Roxbury neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts. He was the second youngest of eight children born to Herbert Brown, a construction worker, and Carol Brown, an elementary school teacher. Brown endured a very rough childhood marred by poverty and gang violence. Knowing that his parents could not afford to buy him the various things he coveted as a child, Brown and his friends turned to stealing. "I didn't want to ask my mother or my father because they didn't have a lot of money," Brown remembered. "I'd just go to the store and take it. If I wanted a sweat suit or a pair of shoes, I'd just go pick them up." Brown also got caught up in Roxbury's gang wars. At the age of 10, he was shot in the knee when a skirmish broke out between rival gangs at a block party. A year later, Brown got into an altercation with an acquaintance who pulled a knife and slashed his shoulder. The turning point in Brown's childhood came shortly after, when his close friend James Flint was stabbed to death at a party at the age of 11. "When his friend passed, you could see Bobby taking his career, his schooling, his whole life more seriously," Brown's brother Tommy recalled. "As kids, everyone had their dreams, but his loss made him more determined."

 

Forming New Edition

 

Brown had dreamed of becoming a singer ever since he saw James Brown perform at the age of 3. He started out singing in church choir, where he distinguished himself with his beautiful and passionate voice. At the age of 12, he formed a group with his friends Ricky Bell, Michael Bivins, Ralph Tresvant and Ronnie DeVoe. Calling themselves New Edition, they rehearsed with a focus and discipline very rare for a group of pre-teen boys. After winning several talent shows, New Edition was discovered by producer and talent scout Maurice Starr, who landed them a recording contract with a small label called Streetwise in 1983. That year they released their debut album, Candy Girl, a sugary sweet collection of songs that made the group an overnight sensation. The title track, "Candy Girl," was highly reminiscent of The Jackson 5's "ABC."

In 1984, New Edition switched to MCA Records and released a self-titled follow-up album that eclipsed the success of Candy Girl with hit singles such as "Cool It Now" and "Mr. Telephone Man." However, despite the enormous success of their music, the members of New Edition still only received the small salary stipulated in their exploitative contract with MCA. "The most I saw for all the tours and all of the records we sold was $500 and a VCR," Brown said. Believing that they were being treated "like little slaves by people who were only interested in money and power, and not the welfare of New Edition," Brown left the group in 1986 to pursue a solo career. 


Solo Career

 

In December 1986, Brown released his first solo album, King of Stage. While the album sold modestly and scored one major hit with the ballad "Girlfriend," it failed to generate the level of excitement and acclaim for which Brown had hoped. Seeking to reinvent himself as an adult artist, Brown spent the next two years working closely with the acclaimed R&B songwriters and producers Teddy Riley, L.A. Reid and Babyface. The result of their collaboration, released in the summer of 1988, was a radically new R&B album called Don't Be Cruel that took the music world by storm, selling seven million copies on the way to becoming the bestselling album of the year. Brown's high-powered, sexually charged music and live performances earned him comparisons to his childhood idol Michael Jackson. In 1990, Brown recorded "On Our Own," the smash-hit theme song for the movie Ghostbusters II, and in 1992 he released his third album, Bobby, featuring the singles "Humpin' Around" and "Good Enough."

 

Personal Life

 

However, just as Brown reached the summit of his popularity in the late 1980s and early 1990s, his personal life began to spiral out of control. Tabloids reported obsessively on Brown's hard-partying lifestyle—his heavy drinking, womanizing and drug abuse. In the summer of 1992, Brown married fellow pop star Whitney Houston in one of the most highly publicized celebrity weddings in history. However, theirs was a tumultuous relationship from the start. They both drank heavily and became addicted to marijuana and cocaine. Brown was arrested several times throughout the 1990s for drug use and drunk driving, and rumors of marital infidelity and domestic violence became a ubiquitous presence in the tabloids for years on end. During his 15 years of marriage to Houston, Brown produced only one album, 1997's Forever, which was preformed poorly commercially, and eventually Brown became more famous as Whitney Houston's abusive husband than as an artist in his own right. Brown and Houston divorced in 2007. Soon after, Brown began dating a woman named Alicia Etheridge. They have been engaged since 2010, and they have a child together, a son named Cassius.

In many respects, Bobby Brown's life reads like a classic cautionary tale about the perils of fame and fortune. For several years from the late 1980s to the early 1990s, he was one of the most popular entertainers alive, a young man many hailed as the second coming ofMichael Jackson. Nevertheless, today Brown's name may be more closely associated with drugs and his troubled relationship with Whitney Houston than with his music. Brown's life may yet become a tale of redemption, however; drug-free after years of therapy, he released a single, "Get Out the Way," in early 2011. "I'm doing wonderful," Brown said. "I'm just moving forward with my life and trying to stay positive at all times."

 

That summer, Brown reunited with the other members of New Edition to play the Essence Music Festival. He also performed solo at the Gathering of Juggalos, a music festival organized by the band Insane Clown Posse. Brown, however, soon faced some personal challenges. That December, he lost his father after a battle with cancer.

 

Brown was also reportedly deeply upset by the death of his ex-wife Whitney Houston in February 2012.

 

 



*****Some more mess to add to the drama*******

 

 

Bobbi Kristina allegedly got high after Whitney's funeral.

 

Hours after Whitney Houston was laid to rest Saturday, her daughter, Bobbi Kristina Brown, was purportedly found using drugs in a hotel room, according to the Daily Beast.

 

After an emotional memorial for Whitney and an upsetting incident involving family seating arrangements, Houston's friends gathered at a Newark, N.J., restaurant, but Bobbi Kristina "simply disappeared," worrying Houston's inner circle.

 

The 18-year-old had been hospitalized after the news of her mother's death on Feb. 11, which doubled family members' concern for her safety.

 

A source says a grieving Bobbi Kristina was later found "getting high," but a family rep insists she's OK and just "needed some time alone."

 

The late pop superstar's daughter is supposedly being taken to rehab in California.

 

http://now.msn.com/entertainme...h.aspx?ocid=ansnow11

 

 

The number one reason the media and misguided black people are dogging Bobby Brown is because he is Black (skin color). Two and three would be because of his socioeconomic class as a child and because he didn't fit into the perfect little image that Clive "Jive" Davis created for Whitney Houston. Remember Whitney grew up in Newark. Anyone from the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area knows what Newark and the Oranges are all about. She may have had a little more than Bobby growing up, but she would've had to hold her own.

Also let's set the record straight here, Bobby Brown only had children with Whitney Houston while they were married. He had no outside children during the marriage. All of his children came either before or after his marriage. He came into the relationship with 3 children, at 21.

Brotha Cholly wrote:  Whitney was doing drugs before Bobby and her enablers pre-Bobby was her family...Dionne Warwick (marijuana use/arrests) and possibly her mother Cissy Houston who was big in the music business in the 70's.

 

  First, it depends on the definition of "drugs" before Bobby.  Cuz for me...speaking for myself thankyouvery much....MARIJUNA is not a drug.  It is a herb.  Deemed a drug by the govt...but!  Nevertheless it is not processed like cocaine...which is correctly defined as a "drug."  Just like aspirin is not grown but processed, HP meidcation is not grown but processed....MARIJUNA is GROWN...and not processed.  I mean people have used it to bake and grind up to do other things with it....but!  Just like fruits/vegetables...you can pull it from the ground and use it in that stateBut Brotha Cholly...I KNOW you know that. 

 

Having said that, drug use among some black artists have always been..but!  Not at the level it is now.  No?  I'm not saying that Whitney didn't smoke weed or smoke premies before Bobby.  I'm saying he PROPELLED it.  Drugs have always been a part of the entertainment business....but!  I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that Bobby Brown didn't have a direct hand in DESTROYING Whitney....cuz he did.  Whitney let him.  True.  But that's cuz she loved him...and many powerful black women in her position have done the same in order to make sure their troubled men felt worthy being with them.  This is typical behavior among a power black woman and a less than powerful black man.  No she was not an angel.  Hell..I don't know any angels.  Do yall?  But what I do know is....she was HUMAN.  Yes, she knew what she was getting into....but!  Again she was human and her deep love for this azzwipe is an example of the love/hate/jealousy that grows MANY UPON MANY times with black couples with some form of fame or fortune.  

 

Hey I'm not gonna through the dynamics of why that is....cuz everybody BLACK should know that by now.  So I'm not gonna readdress it.  However, this tubulent relationship is what is happening behind many closed doors in our community-this innate power struggle of self worth.  We can't ignore, paint a different picture, deny it....alladat.  Cuz it will not change a damn thang.  Some of us are willingly destroying each other.  Cuz why?  We abandoned our culture for the woes of milk and honey...and that's in all areas of black success: doctors, lawyers, politicans, entertainers and everyday black professionals...just for that outwardly gratification.  And look what we gave up in the interiem.  Many of our brilliant talent.  We live in this suspended illusion of what we think blackness is...and it is clearly..........NOT! 

 

But in their minds, their contributions to Whitney drug use never existed and doesn't count at all.

 

If that's the case, every generation of blackfolks who smoked weed....contributed to the next generation to smoke weed or to do drugs.  I ain't buying it.  Often drugs on this high level are used to medicate something deeper.  Plus that's what folks do when they are not happy with their life and think drugs can fix it.   Whitney was clearly unhappy......and her use of drugs was her answer to feeling better.  But!  We all know she needed to face her demons.   And her family didn't do that.  I don't care how many times she saw Dionne or Cissy smoke weed.  This also happened to Billie Holiday....Esther Phillips tragically.  So Whitney wasn't alone.  And yes these women too had been in contact with monsters like Bobby Brown upon their demise.   And maybe in the back of Whitney's mind, she wanted to die....cuz her irratic behavior directed that possibility.  But who knows? 

 

 

Bobby's inclusion in her life (rightly or wrongly) "expanded" her drug use (the reality show "Being Bobby Brown" exposed Whitney's true personalit­y  which was not hidden and well-crafted by handler Clive Davis and what she displayed was not drugs;

 

No....that was a diva in trouble.  That was a diva who needed psychological help....and like a lot black folks, she didn't think she needed help.  Had she gotten it, she would be with us today.  But!  By that time, she had isolated herself and when you do that you are on the road to destruction.  And I don't know how many folks here who have grown children....but!  Whitney was all of nineteen years old when she launched into a world way beyond her experience....even her mothers' expectations. When they are grown you [as parents] are limited to protecting them from hurting themselves.  Whitney she was still a child in so many ways[19-28]....and when you taken from that security to be surrounded by those who only care about you for the MONEY....you begin to lose who you are....these folks will do all they can to keep you bringing in the fortune...and if that means keeping you doped up...then so be it.  Unfortunately after the fast spin in celebrityship and drugs you become psychoic and paranoid in your thinking...cuz your brain is damaged and your soul is broken.    

 

that's exactly who she is/was before Bobby) and he will be forever the reason, the fall guy for her death; not family/fri­ends/busne­ss associates­/the music industry itself that has contribute­d to the drug deaths of many superstar artists.

 

No, he is rightfully the fall guy in my opinion.  He has proven sooooooo many times to be so.  He is also the fall guy in his own life. In that, he was destroying himself and those around him.  Cuz why?  He didn't give a fock.  We as black people need to own up to the fact that we have a lot problems unresolved in our community....and  just cuz we see black celebrities with money and fame doesn't mean the problems they came in with are  now eradicated just cuz they are wealthy.  Nope.  That's not life.  We are all human with life challenges.  And tragically, this is a human story with a powerful message we all should take heed to.  But!

Last edited by Kocolicious

  This is what I was talking about earlier when I had indicated that Whitney had to change her "image."  And it is this decision, in my opinion, that caused her to spiral out of control later on in her life.

 

 

Meet Whitney Houston's Rumored Lesbian Lover Robyn Crawford 

Most of the common theories surrounding Whitney Houston's descent into drugs and eventual death have to do with the influence of her husband Bobby Brown. Now there's a new interesting theory. Maybe it wasn't her marriage to Bobby that turned her into an addict but breaking up with her lesbian lover, Robyn Crawford.

 

While everyone has been talking about Whitney's private life in the past week, gay activist Peter Tatchell is first to say point blank that Whitney had a long-term relationship with her best friend and former assistant Robyn Crawford. Tatchell's theory is that Houston had to break up with Crawford and marry Bobby Brown to quash the lesbian rumors, and it was the heartbreak from dumping her "one true love" that turned her into an addict, not Brown's negative influence. This theory seems to dovetail nicely with the decades of rumors that Houston was, in fact, a lesbian (which Tricia Romano faithfully documented after Whitney passed).

 

Crawford met Houston when they were 16 at a summer job in East Orange, New Jersey, and they soon became inseparable. Robyn was the Gayle King to Whitney's Oprah; whether or not the relationship was a platonic one is uncertain, but they had the closest of friendships. Crawford worked for many years as Houston's assistant, an experience she talked about right after Whitney's death. Crawford says this is the first time she talked about her relationship with Whitney, but she only discusses their professional entanglements, not the personal ones.

However, Whitney's obituary includes this cryptic passage:

When people left her or were told to leave, they could never believe that Whitney would never call them - but she never did. She was working hard to keep herself together, and I think she felt that if she admitted any feeling of sadness or weakness she would crumble.

That certainly sounds like Crawford knows more about Whitney than she's willing to say publicly, so until she writes a tell-all or shows up on 20/20, we're going to have to keep our eyes open....

I remember all the gay rumors, too.  I didn't think they were true ....but of course, one never knows!!

 

However, based on my recollection at the time, I don't believe that any such "breakup", if there were one, would have been the catalyst for "drug use" by Whitney, either.

 

She L-O-V-E-D Bobby's dirty, nastiest draws at the time!!    You could see it all in her face ... and everywhere else in/on her at the time!!!  Any 'brokeness' of her heart would have been FAR overshadowed by it being COMPLETELY engulfed and devoted to being in love with him.

 

I would think that it was indeed Bobby who "introduced" Whitney to (hard) drugs ... and that a certain amount of "blame" should most definitely go to him.  BUT, she was a 100% participant (she didn't/wouldn't/couldn't say "no") ... and you'd have to split any "blame" for her going down that road straight down the middle ... and dish it out to them both equally!!!

 

Now ... he has to live with that ... while she no longer does.  I don't think any criticism or guilt that anybody else may want to direct at Bobby will weigh heavier on him than that which he will be heaping on himself from this point on.

I was amazed the funeral was 4 hours long with various speakers talking about Whitney's life NOT one person mentioned Bobby Brown.

Yeah, I heard the rumors years ago about a lesbian affair but it wasn't with Robyn Crawford but a white star in LA.  I don't remember the name after all these years but Bobby Borwn was the first man I heard of her having a relationship with.  After being married for more than 10 years and having a child together, Bobby deserved more respect than Whitney's family gave him.  Some of Bobby's kids stayed with him and Whitney so I  can see him bringing them to the funeral.

Bobby is not the blame for her sorry state and if anything I can see him saying I have had enough after several unsuccessful tries.  After years of doing drugs an addict ends up with a psychiatric diagnosis and I sure Whitney had one. So, he was living with an addict and psychotic spouse.  How long could you do that?

Natalie Coles mother took over business, money and child when she had a drug problem.  Why didn't Whitney's family do the same?

 

Not every addict gets clean.  The percentage who never get clean is high.

  Sista ER wrote: 

She L-O-V-E-D Bobby's dirty, nastiest draws at the time!!    You could see it all in her face ... and everywhere else in/on her at the time!!!  Any 'brokeness' of her heart would have been FAR overshadowed by it being COMPLETELY engulfed and devoted to being in love with him.

 

  True dat my sista!  Only cuz she thought she could FIX him by being submissive to him-that method NEVER works with hoodrats.  And she admitted that she indeed love him deeply.  But!  There's a DEEPER darkness going on with her other than getting an insecure drugged out classless bully to return her undying love.  Whitney didn't strike me as a woman DESPERATE for "d."  Yes...she loved him cuz admittedly he "tapped" it right but....her long term destruction was MUCH layered than what we saw on the outside.  Trust me.  Not to convince you....cuz everybody has their own opinion about life....but!  Look at the behavior.  Long term.  Something else was eating at her.  And Bobby was the facade she was hiding behind-and he KNEW IT.

 

I would think that it was indeed Bobby who "introduced" Whitney to (hard) drugs ... and that a certain amount of "blame" should most definitely go to him.

 

Yep!

 

BUT, she was a 100% participant (she didn't/wouldn't/couldn't say "no")

 

A junkie [hooked on the illusion of "love]with no social skills in relationships cannot say NO.  Don't know how. Know why?  Cuz it feels tooooooooooooo good.  Whitney's been searching for that "nut" and she found it in cocaine as is why cocaine is nick-named "girl."

 

... and you'd have to split any "blame" for her going down that road straight down the middle ... and dish it out to them both equally!!!

 

Okay.  I'll give you that.  Plus she didn't have any "real" support.  I mean at nineteen...how can you make grown up decision when emotionally and mentally you're still a baby.  My girls...I didn't let 'em outta my sight until they were in their mid-twenties....I know I know.  I was a focking pitbull.  But!  Cissy and her husband did what they could.  Plus she was a spoiled little girl anyway. And I really think she was stunted maturely. 

 

Now ... he has to live with that ... while she no longer does.  I don't think any criticism or guilt that anybody else may want to direct at Bobby will weigh heavier on him than that which he will be heaping on himself from this point on.

 

But this brotha doesn't have a conscious.  So what he will live with will definitely be made into a good movie one day.  I mean I see this all the time.  There are soooo many stories I can tell regarding this issue.  And I guess I'm pissed off cuz there are soooooo many women out there just like Whitney who fell for men like Bobby [looking for something that definitely was NOT there] and [this search] utilmately destroyed their lives along with the childrens'[who carry into their relationships].  I see these broken children all the time as a ramification of drugged parents....and I just can't take it anymore.  As why I am soooooooo hard on Bobby cuz he represents a lotta foolish men who do not think about ANYBODY but themselves until they are soooooooo OLD  no body wants to be bothered. It happens all the time.  But. Okay.  I hear you my sista.  And the good thing about this whole situation is that folks are talking.  And that's a good thang...cuz through communication lessons are being learned.  And that's what change behaviors.  I know it may seem like I'm beating this issue to death....but!  If one person male or female "gets it" then that's one less dyfunctional individual.  And lord knows we need more whole people than broken these days.  But!

I still think that Whitney and Whitney's made-to-order image were two different people.  

 

There were rumors of Whitney being into drug before Bobby Brown and rumors of her being gay; I dismissed them both.  

 

But, I still say, that Bobby Brown was so young himself that he cannot be blamed for the downfall of the life of Whitney, who was 7 years his senior.  They both were young.  I just cannot believe the hatred I keep hearing people have for Bobby when he was young just like Whitney was.  His not coming from money makes him no more guilty of 'knowing' any better than Whitney nor does it make him guilty of making Whitney into a drug addict.  From what I could see as Whitney's attitude during all of her interviews, I doubt that Bobby or anyone else could tell her what to do or 'convince' her to do anything she did not want to do.  Besides, like I said before, Bobby said in one interview he did WITH Whitney, that it was Whitney that turned HIM onto cocaine, not the other way around.  

 

 

I think it is time for Bobby Brown to come on out and tell his side of the story, once and for all, so that he may be able to get his career back together and show the world that he his not a monster.

Originally Posted by Kocolicious:

But this brotha doesn't have a conscious.  So what he will live with will definitely be made into a good movie one day.  I mean I see this all the time.  There are soooo many stories I can tell regarding this issue.  And I guess I'm pissed off cuz there are soooooo many women out there just like Whitney who fell for men like Bobby [looking for something that definitely was NOT there] and [this search] utilmately destroyed their lives along with the childrens'[who carry into their relationships].  I see these broken children all the time as a ramification of drugged parents....and I just can't take it anymore.  As why I am soooooooo hard on Bobby cuz he represents a lotta foolish men who do not think about ANYBODY but themselves until they are soooooooo OLD  no body wants to be bothered. It happens all the time.  But. Okay.  I hear you my sista.  And the good thing about this whole situation is that folks are talking.  And that's a good thang...cuz through communication lessons are being learned.  And that's what change behaviors.  I know it may seem like I'm beating this issue to death....but!  If one person male or female "gets it" then that's one less dyfunctional individual.  And lord knows we need more whole people than broken these days.  But!

=============================================

 

I'm gonna agree with EVERYTHING you have said, Ms. Koco .... except the part about him not having a conscious!!  I think he DOES have a conscious (although still being relatively immature, it can take a minute for things to sink in properly!!) ... especially now that he's "clean and sober"!!  'Cause that's when reality SMACKS you in the face - ready or not - whenever it wants too!!   And there's little to nothing anyone can do to stop that at that point - but deal, one way or another!.

 

I think he has both a conscious AND regrets at this point!!  There are things that only he (now that Whitney's gone) knows what REALLY went on during their time together .. things that he (nor she) will be able to take back or fix now.  And he's gonna have to deal with that.  Because E-V-E-R-Y-B-O-D-Y does at some point.  And Bobby Brown will be no exception to that rule.  He's human.  And his ball will bounce like that ... like it or not!!

 

And it won't be pretty.  But "suffering the consequences of your action" will be in Bobby's future for a while to come.

 

But ... let's just go on and put it out there ... straight, no chaser .... that Whitney ... like so many millions of other women ... was emotionally weak, vulnerable, easily influenced, unable to think straight, and (at least semi-willingly) allowed herself to be dominated .... by LOVE.

 

When it comes to that "LOVE" thing ... the human mentality in MOST people is unable to fight against it - and WIN - ... whether it ends up being for the better or the worst for the individual involved!!  N-O-B-O-D-Y on this Earth was gonna make Whitney give Bobby up ... except for Whitney.  And even when her ass hit rock bottom - and she HAD to go to but still used DENIAL to escape from rehab the first time - she was STILL more willing to give up drugs than she was HIM!!!

 

Whatever finally made her break that spell (and I suspect it was therapy forcing her to look REALITY in the face!!) .... the bottom line is she discovered that Bobby was BAD for her .. not healthy, not happy, not mentally, physically or emotionally ... and letting him go was the only way to save HERSELF!!

 

And she WANTED that.  For her LIFE be SAVED.  So .... she did the things she needed to do to make that happen!!  And, bottom line, that's usually about the ONLY thing that makes us women break that HOLD that LOVE puts us in.  We have to want - and actively seek - more/better for OURSELVES (or our children)!! 

 

And nothing .. and I mean N-O-T-H-I-N-G else ... usually works BUT that ... when it comes to extricating one's self from the clutches of that thing called LOVEl!!

 

I think Whitney was on the way.  She had 'freed' herself.  Just like a lot of other women have done.  But, honestly, I think even more of us never do.    It's not an easy fight.  And most of us are not equipped to be strong enough to win it.

 

Unfortunately, for Whitney, though, it just didn't happen for her soon enough. 

  My sista I totally agree! [Sho is a bunch of life lessons up in here]  And I hope you are right about his conscious cuz he's gonna need it way down the line if he is serious about his soberity.  It [conscious] can be his saving grace.  However, for me, the jury is STILL out whether or not that's gonna happen.    But hey!  He might PROVE me wrong. Cuz stripes are HARD to change...but people can...and yes he is human...I think.  So I guess it's a real possibility.

 

Off topic and a disclaimer, I just like to point out that ALL that sweatin' Whitney was doing prior to her demise....could be her initial steps into MENOPAUSE!  There is no other reasonable explanation.  Peripause begins in the late thirties early forties in some women-maybe this was so in Whitney's case[and doing drugs and drinking alcohol can really bring on the hot flashes]. 

 

Having said that, we will just have to wait and see the outcome of Mr. Bobby Brown. It is my wish that all you've said is true in terms of his recovery/epiphanies and that he will be the man he needs to be for his daughter who has just lost her mother.  The most devestating event in a young girl's life.  As Judge Joe Brown says it's time to man up...and hopefully Bobbby will.  But!       

  This just in.  I don't believe how the media can be so evasive.  But!  Some one sold this to them.  So.  Here' the last look at Whitney.  

 

Whitney Houston Open Casket Photo Graces National Enquirer Cover

Published: February 22, 2012 @ 12:12 pm

In a classy move certain to enrage fans while boosting sales, the National Enquirer has published a photo of Whitney Houston's open casket this week.

The image of the late pop diva was purportedly taken during a private viewing at the Whigham Funeral Home in Newark, N.J.

The exercise in sensationalism is on par with the photos of Houston's last meal and the bathtub she died in that TMZ ran in the days immediately after her Feb. 11 death at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills.

Also read: Bobby Brown Leaves Whitney Houston Funeral Early Over Seating Dispute

There's some precedent for the Enquirer's ghoulish glimpse at Whitney's wake. The tabloid ran similar open casket shots of Elvis Presley after the King of Rock died in 1977.

Just as it did with Presley, the headline loudly proclaims that it is "the last photo" taken of the singer.

The Enquirer also teases some other tawdry details about the Houston viewing. The singer was reportedly outfitted in her favorite purple dress, $500,000 worth of jewelry, and had gold slippers on her feet.

Originally Posted by Kocolicious:

  My sista I totally agree! [Sho is a bunch of life lessons up in here]  And I hope you are right about his conscious cuz he's gonna need it way down the line if he is serious about his soberity.  It [conscious] can be his saving grace.  However, for me, the jury is STILL out whether or not that's gonna happen.    But hey!  He might PROVE me wrong. Cuz stripes are HARD to change...but people can...and yes he is human...I think.  So I guess it's a real possibility.

 

-----------------------------------------

 

Yes, it can be his saving grace .... or his complete downfall!! 

 

If ANYTHING could/does/might knock him 'off the wagon' .... if he's not as 'affixed' to the 'clean and sober' train as he should be ..... then something this traumatic and/or devastating could be what sends him back to Ground Zero. 

 

On Blaming Bobby Brown.

It's easy to point fingers at Whitney's ex, but ultimately, she chose her own path.

 

No one ever understood why Whitney Houston married Bobby Brown.

 

Houston was a cultured pop princess with a golden voice, a perfect smile and polished demeanor, spit-shined by a large marketing and public relations machine (the same one she would eventually rage against).

 

When Houston and Brown married in June 1992, she arrived at their union with a track record of proven success: three multiplatinum albums; fresh off an epic rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner" -- a million copies sold of a song every American knew or should have known by heart; and an upcoming movie role alongside Kevin Costner.

 

Brown was then, and still is today, a "bad ass," a term that he called himself as recently as Feb 18. That was during a performance on the evening of his ex-wife's funeral, which he'd walked out on earlier that day.

 

But in 1992 he was known as much for being kicked out of boy band New Edition because he was unable to adopt their clean-cut R&B image as he was for singing "My Prerogative," a track that still seems to sum up his consequences-be-damned approach to the world 24 years after its release.

 

The prying public didn't wait for the 20/20 clarity of hindsight to say that they "knew" Brown was all wrong for Houston. It became a common refrain as soon as people heard they were dating; and when the pair divorced 15 years later, it devolved into "Finally!" or "See, I told you so!"

 

Blaming Bobby Brown for Houston's every misstep has also been a familiar refrain, one that didn't start when Houston died in a hotel bathtub on Feb. 11 -- just reignited. For too many, it's easier to blame Brown for Houston's downfall than it is to accept that her perfect image was a product cleverly marketed by Clive Davis and consumed eagerly by the public.

Houston's marriage to Brown didn't jibe with the branding.

 

It was jarring, that first time she didn't seem to be in lockstep with the reigning perception of her, and we keep going back to that moment because it was pivotal for us. We'd rather stay in denial about the myriad ways we were played by a machine than be mad at Houston, who pulled the plug on the fantasy the same way Toto pulled back the curtain in Oz, revealing the Wizard to be exactly who he was: bells and whistles and, above all, human. 

 

In life, Houston was adored as much for her unparalleled vocals as she was for being a skinny black girl from, of all places, Newark, N.J., who had managed to outshine, outsing and outwin at award shows. Much like Diana Ross two decades before her, Houston was a rare black woman who didn't do soul and who did cater to a mainstream audience.

 

But after an initial run during which she was dissed by black audiences -- in 1989 she was infamously booed at the Soul Train Awards -- she was embraced, becoming the Black Girl Next Door we took pride in for representing us; for showing America what blackness -- specifically, black woman-ness -- looked like at its idealized, packaged and spoon-fed best; and, let's keep it all the way real, for besting her white counterparts. 

 

Houston was beautiful, and before she diminished her voice with cigarettes and drugs, she could sing really, really well. But don't let the beauty and/or the talent fool you. Neither guarantees self-esteem or smart choices or removes accountability from anyone for his or her actions.

 

We've watched too many Hollywood films if we're buying into the trope that Houston was an ingenue who was seduced and then hoodwinked, bamboozled and led astray by Brown, who, at a mere 23, was five years her junior and a father of three when they married. At that time, Houston was a month shy of 29, and she'd been in the entertainment business -- notorious for being a cutthroat environment -- for more than a decade and was winning.

 

This is a woman who, in a legendary radio interview, went toe-to-toe with Wendy Williams back in the day -- long before Williams was a middle-aged mom made palatable for middle America -- and won! In an Esquire obituary, Houston's onetime bestie (and, it is alleged, onetime girlfriend) Robyn Crawford said of Houston, "People thought they had to protect her. She hated that. And that's what people don't understand: She was the one doing the driving ... she did what she wanted to do."

 

At Houston's funeral, personal friends backed up that assessment, remembering Houston as a woman who called her own shots -- even when they were to her detriment.

 

By Houston's own telling in a confessional 2009 interview with Oprah Winfrey, Houston began using drugs before her relationship with Brown, whom she referred to as "her drug" of choice and her "partner" when it came to getting high. It was in 1992, the year she married Brown and released The Bodyguard, that her drug use progressed to "heavy" -- Houston's euphemism for smoking marijuana combined with cocaine.

 

In that same interview, she took on the accountability that her fans hesitate to extend to her, even in death. "When he said something, I listened," Houston said of her then husband. "I was very interested in having someone have that kind of control over me. It was refreshing."

 

That is undoubtedly a disturbing mindset, and a recipe for disaster for most women, especially those who put a "bad ass" at the helm. But it was also a path that Whitney chose for herself.

 

http://www.theroot.com/views/a...wpisrc=root_lightbox

 

 

Whitney Houston's Will Leaves Everything To Daughter

 

 

ATLANTA — Whitney Houston left everything to her 19-year-old daughter, Bobbi Kristina.

The pop superstar's will doesn't mention specific assets, but leaves all of her furnishings, clothing, personal effects, jewelry and cars to her surviving children. Bobbi Kristina was her only child.

 

Inside Edition first reported the will, filed in Atlanta, on Wednesday.

Houston's money will be put in a trust. Her sister-in-law and manager, Patricia Houston, was appointed the administrator of the estate.

 

Upon turning 21, Bobbi Kristina will receive part of the money, more of it at age 25 and the balance at age 30. Houston's trustees can give her money from the trust for various purposes, including tuition, to buy a home and to start a business.

 

The will was signed on Feb. 3, 1993, about a month before Houston gave birth to her daughter. The 48-year-old died Feb. 11 in California.

 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...stina_n_1328079.html

 

That is undoubtedly a disturbing mindset, and a recipe for disaster for most women, especially those who put a "bad ass" at the helm. But it was also a path that Whitney chose for herself.

 

  Bottom line:  If you lay with DOGS....you get up with fleas.  And true she may have had a flea or two before Bobby....but!  Surely after the time they hooked up and married, she with completely infested.  No?   The question may be:  am I throwing Bobby under the bus?  That would be a HELL yes.   Cuz why?  Just don't have no love for that brotha.  None. 

Originally Posted by Kocolicious:

That is undoubtedly a disturbing mindset, and a recipe for disaster for most women, especially those who put a "bad ass" at the helm. But it was also a path that Whitney chose for herself.

 

  Bottom line:  If you lay with DOGS....you get up with fleas.  And true she may have had a flea or two before Bobby....but!  Surely after the time they hooked up and married, she with completely infested.  No?   The question may be:  am I throwing Bobby under the bus?  That would be a HELL yes.   Cuz why?  Just don't have no love for that brotha.  None. 

Well, you also better throw Cissy and Dionne under the bus, too!  Why? Because they were in show business long before people knew both Whitney or Bobby...hell, they were in show business before both of them were even BORN!!  I'm sick and tired of grown ass folks pointing the finger of others, where they were in the stuff themselves.  Time for them to put on the big girl panties and admit that they didn't do a good enough job in warning about the traps of show business, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY'RE ALSO IN SHOW BUSINESS!  Whitney chose him, not the other way around, and both Cissy and Dionne dropped the ball professionally speaking, because BOTH were in show business themselves.  Don't just throw Bobby under the bus, throw the whole damn lot of them under.  Don't just go halfway.

I still say that Bobby Brown cannot be blamed for Whitney's downfall.  He was in his early twenties when they go together, she was older than he was, he has stated on camera with her at his side, that it was Whitney that introduced HIM to cocaine.  I really don't see how anyone can blame him for her running through her life via drugs and probably an attitude that kept her from listening to ANYONE.  Bobby was just as young, dumb and not ready for that music industry/Hollywood scene as Whitney was. He can't be blamed because he did not come from money and fame, and she cannot be blameless because she did come from money and fame.  

 

I think Bobby Brown is being done real dirty.

Brotha Huey wrote: 

Well, you also better throw Cissy and Dionne under the bus, too! Why? Because they were in show business long before people knew both Whitney or Bobby...hell, they were in show business before both of them were even BORN!! I'm sick and tired of grown ass folks pointing the finger of others, where they were in the stuff themselves. Time for them to put on the big girl panties and admit that they didn't do a good enough job in warning about the traps of show business, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY'RE ALSO IN SHOW BUSINESS! Whitney chose him, not the other way around, and both Cissy and Dionne dropped the ball professionally speaking, because BOTH were in show business themselves. Don't just throw Bobby under the bus, throw the whole damn lot of them under. Don't just go halfway.

 

  Hey my brotha....it's enough ROOM for everybody to go under the bus.  I ain't prejudice.    But!  It is what it is.  Hoodrat and spoiled brat do not MIX!  And yall see why. Both had issues.  Say whatcha want.  But I'm just keepin this REAL.  

Originally Posted by Yemaya:

The number one reason the media and misguided black people are dogging Bobby Brown is because he is Black (skin color). Two and three would be because of his socioeconomic class as a child and because he didn't fit into the perfect little image that Clive "Jive" Davis created for Whitney Houston. Remember Whitney grew up in Newark. Anyone from the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area knows what Newark and the Oranges are all about. She may have had a little more than Bobby growing up, but she would've had to hold her own.

 

Now what did I say about 10 posts ago. Why do people insist on proving me correct? Thank you!

Originally Posted by sunnubian:

I still say that Bobby Brown cannot be blamed for Whitney's downfall.  He was in his early twenties when they go together, she was older than he was, he has stated on camera with her at his side, that it was Whitney that introduced HIM to cocaine.  I really don't see how anyone can blame him for her running through her life via drugs and probably an attitude that kept her from listening to ANYONE.  Bobby was just as young, dumb and not ready for that music industry/Hollywood scene as Whitney was. He can't be blamed because he did not come from money and fame, and she cannot be blameless because she DID come from money and fame.  

 

I think Bobby Brown is being done real dirty.

Thank you!  CO-FREAKING SIGN!!!  If Bobby, Dionne AND Cissy want to redeem themselves or Whitney's rep or her legacy, TAKE CARE OF BOBBIE KRISTINA, PERIOD!!!  Get her some therapy, teach her about the BUSINESS part of show business, get her a dentist to fix her tooth gap and get her some singing lessons (ONLY if she wants to follow her mother's footsteps).  I'm very serious.  It's time for that family to be pro-active instead of reactive.

Brotha Huey wrote:   get her a dentist to fix her tooth gap

 

  Hey Brotha Huey that's NOT fair and it is totally wrong to talk about how this child looks.  She had MANY times to get her gap as you say fixed[throughout her lifetime]...maybe just maybe SHE LIKES IT!  There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with her gap.  Not a thang.  Although there are some folks who feel that having completely straight TEETH is deemed beauty or smile appropriate....but!  Her teeth are not hanging loose, they are NOT stained yellow/brown....and they are NOT decayed.  So...if she choses to be HERSELF with the gapped teeth that God gave her....who. are. YOU to hate on her decision to be HERSELF?  Now I'm open with your opinion about the Whitney/Bobby issue[cuz I like how your mind thinks]...but!  I'm not open to this type of criticism/judgement when YOU are throwing Kristina under the bus BASED on your interpretation on HOW you tjinmk she should look.   I'm totally SURPRISED at you.  Do you have children?  Nieces, female cousins the same age as Kristina?  That was below the belt unnecessary cruel and too rude comment.  And it has nothing to do with what we are talking about.  Not a thang.  I don't believe in pulling children [even though she's nineteen] in grown folks conversation.  She's  still a child and shouldn't be smeared with angst of the peanut gallery analogy under any circumstances.  Shame on you.

 

 

  By the way...when it comes to children, adolescents and young adults...I ALWAYS have my boxing gloves on in their defense and protection.  So it pained me to hear a comment like this coming from a person I have absolute respect and admiration for.  But!  Just so yall kmow and don't get it twisted....If this was said about any of your family members or friends who fit my age group criteria...I will GO to bat like a crazed pit bull for them too.   It's WHAT I do.   This is STRAIGHT up...no chaser.  But!  I'm just sayin 

Quote by Huey: "get her a dentist to fix her tooth gap".

 

No fixing the tooth gap because that's directly from her father.

 

You're right. This situation can be a real horror show going forward if grandmother Cissy Houston, Aunt Dionne Warwick and Patricia Houston (Whitney's sister-in-law and onetime manager) provide the same or similiar rein of attention and advice as veterans of the game to Bobbi Kristna now that she of legal age and legally has all of her mother's assets.

 

Cissy and Dionne will never ever accept their roles; lack of responsibility and overall carelessness regarding Whitney before, during and after Bobby (because they got Bobby Brown to fully blame for all of it) and hopefully Bobbi Kristina will realize real soon that she will need to grow up and develop a keen sense for business and maturity really fast because grandma and auntie aren't the best relatives, career advisors, personal roles models and navigators.

 

In an interview with Oprah, Patricia Houston stated "The handwriting was kind of on the wall," she told Oprah, when asked if she thought drugs would end up taking the superstar's life. "I would be kidding myself to say otherwise."

 

She also noted that while, at some point in Whitney's life, she feared that the singer's destructive behavior would lead to her untimely passing, she and others truly believed that the danger period had ended.

 

"If things hadn't changed, but things were changing, things were really changing with her, very much so," she said. "It wasn't about the substance abuse or anything like that relative to the latter days or anything like that, I think it was more of lifestyle.

 

"I was afraid for other things, lifestyle more so than..." she trailed off. Not letting a tease like that go unanswered, Oprah pressed her on what, exactly, it was about her lifestyle that seemed so threatening".

 

"I saw her chasing a dream, looking for love in all the wrong places."

 

http://theclicker.today.msnbc....ting-was-on-the-wall

 

A drug lifestyle that probably started well before the discovery, the fame & Bobby Brown.

 

****And please watch out for Mr. Clive Davis because if she has real talent, he will be lurking in the shadows.*****

 

 



Last edited by Cholly

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×