Skip to main content

I love to eat, eat ,eat.
I talk about eating constantly. So my
mother and family have helped me to come
up with some healthy eating ideas.

Salsa is a great topping for noodles.
I just tried it weeks ago.

If you get skinless boneless chicken,
you've already made it healthier. Even on a
healthy eating spree (DIET) you can use bbq
sauce to flavor it up.

IF you want you can also use chicken
teriyaki sauce on your baked chicken.

I eat eat those, plus I eat the turkey
burger with no bread. IT's less in carbs,
salt, fat,sugar. IT's 70% less fat.

Since just a regular salad is boring,
I like to add boiled eggs, bacon, croutons, or
anything else. Too much of added stuff
will ADD in some more calories like Rowe
said.


I either eat a cube steak with salad
or meatloaf with a salad. Those are the best
meats to go with the salad in my opinion.

For a quick fruit snack, get dole
Cherry mixed fruit in light syrup. Always
check to make sure the sugar is light if
this NOT your off day.

Canned foods have alot of sodium so
they are best for off days I think. Think
about the water weight.I said this before
but I take water pills to get rid of the
water so I can see my REAL weight. I'm 112
pounds now, so far away from the 138 I used
to be.

One of the best is steak strips
with green peppers over brown rice.

If you want chips with really low
salt,look out for Michael's unsalted chips.

A quick morning food drop, Two
Kellogg's fruit bars.

ALso, I noticed that Ranch Dressing
has less sodium then ITalian dressing(that
orange dressing)But it is best to go for
a healthier option.You'll see the ingredients
in Rowe's post,which I'm glad Rowe made
because it adds to the effectiveness of
this post and so does Nayo's comments.


It is best to
Avoid aspartame, splenda products,
they have negative side effects.


Baked pork chops and string beans go
together good.

Want healthy bread? Aunt Millie's
Butter Top Wheat BRead has NO cholesterol,
2grams of protein,2 grams of sugar,12 carbs,
1gram of fat,120mg of sodium, which is low
sodium compared to some high levels of sodium
like 600 or 700 mgs.

Okay,for your off days- Smoothered potatoes with bacon and cheddar cheese is something I had yesterday.

Chili on cornbread is great.

Fish and Spaghetti is great.

Chili on tostitos is good.


Pancakes and jelly is good.



Tostadas is great, one of my favorite
like pizza.
"Black History, All Day, Everyday, All The Time."
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sounds like a wonderful and healthy eating plan. I just began eating more healthy this past February. I've been trying a semi-vegetarian nutrition plan, with the exception of sushi/sashimi, but no meats, no oils of any kind, no eggs, no pork, beef (have'nt eaten beef in years), no chicken, oh and fat free cheese, little to no bread with the exception of whole wheat pita, and corn based taco shells, soy milk and fat free sour cream. Prior to that, I was eating a lot of fish, mostly tilapia, orange roughy, shrimp. but the cholesterol is to high for me, so that is why the switch; though I still will eat the orange roughy which is delicious.

So far I have lost almost 15 lbs (7 weeks), with no exercise. I probably would have lost more with exercise. I walk a lot anyway, so I'm counting that. I've been trying the soy 'meats', like 'seitan', which I do not like at all; and have been trying the Morningstar meatless products which are'nt to bad, especially the breakfast links. I've increased beans, ie pinto's, black beans, butter beans and my favorite, red beans. I have also developed a great liking of shitake mushrooms as they are chewy and make great burgers. Taking my little bean tacos to work has helped as they are very tasty. Also making sure to take my uh, 'Beano' for the carbon situation lol!

Today I cooked a big pot of chard, which was delicious! I could'nt stop eating them. I have also finally been able to trade in my beloved white rice/jasmine, for brown rice. I had been trying to eat the long grain brown rice, but could'nt stand it. Than researched online about the short grain brown rice, and the sweet/short grain brown rice, and love it. I also eat boiled corn. What I have to work on next is increasing my water, decreasing my salt, and limiting my artificial sweeteners, ie. Splenda. I'm going to try alterntives such as agave and stevia sweeteners. I do miss the oil based salad dressings, because I love salads, but without that oil to cling to the lettuce, mushrooms, tomatoes and the like, salads just are not the same; soooo, maybe I will allow for 'real' salad dressing as I have eliminated so much of the other types of foods I was eating.

I've' been (trying) to make my own maki sushi wraps, with the brown rice vinegar, the little sushi mat and the dry seaweed wraps. Not to good at wrapping them just yet; but I have developed a huge craving for eating the dry sushi wraps just as they are, like potato chips. I love them, even though they are a bit pricy, ie. 7 sheets a pack for $4-$8 dollars at 'WholeFoods'.

So, I've been hitting up 'authentic' asian stores where the seaweed wraps run at $2.00 a pack of 10, but you can't eat them as stand alones, to fishy tasting. I'm trying to loose more weight, and with this recent success, hope to see less of me by summer.
quote:
Originally posted by nayo:
I do miss the oil based salad dressings, because I love salads, but without that oil to cling to the lettuce, mushrooms, tomatoes and the like, salads just are not the same


You don't have to eliminate all oils from your diet in order to be healthy. Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for example, is rich in monounsaturated fat, which can lower your risk of heart disease by reducing the total and low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad") cholesterol levels in your blood. Olive oil also contains antioxidants like chlorophyll, carotenoids, and vitamin E. And according to some studies, olive oil actually helps your body maintain a lower weight. Grapeseed oil, Sesame Oil, and Coconut Oil are also great healthy alternatives to traditional cooking oils.

I wouldn't advise people to eat "Ranch dressing" or commercial salad dressings in general, because they tend to be high in animal fats, salt, processed sugar, artificial flavors, food colorings, and other junk. You can actually make your own salad dressing at home by mixing Olive oil, vinegar, garlic, and your favorite fresh herb (E.g., Oregano, Dill, etc.), which will be much more fresh and healthier to eat than commercial salad dressings. Throw a handful of almonds, fresh sliced avocadoes, and/or dried fruit on top, and by the time you're done, you'll have a gourmet salad, which can be eaten as a meal. It's important to get creative and move away from foods and condiments that you're used to eating. There are so many more healthy ways to dress up your salads than to drown it in heavy junk. And if significantly reducing fat and calories is a concern, then putting eggs, bacon, and ranch dressing all on a salad is probably not the best choice. That type of salad can contain as much fat as a fast-food meal.
Last edited {1}
Thanks for the tips 'Rowe'!

I was one of those strange kids (for a number of reasons, ie. pathological bookworm) who loved salads. I could eat a salad anytime, for breakfast, snack etc. Before I changed my eating, I would hit up salad bars like I was 'jonsing'! My reduction of oils is about my cholesterol, my HDL is pretty decent at 99, but my bad cholesterol (a secret) is not so good. So, I got the Pritkin Diet book and the book by Dean Ornish, 'reversing heart disease', and both suggest an elimination of all oils, including all seeds, oils, olive, safflower, avocado, eggs, all meats etc., which I have done for the past months. At first it went from slightly difficult, to quite easy. But the whole salad dressing thingy, is annoying. I love 'Kens' salad dressings and miss them dreadfully. Where I am at in my eating plan now though, I am a bit anxious about re-introducing any oil back into my diet because of my recent success. Soooo, what I think I will do is take your advice on the olive oil, and incorporate/more walking in my lifestyle change.
quote:
Originally posted by Rowe:
quote:
Originally posted by nayo:
I do miss the oil based salad dressings, because I love salads, but without that oil to cling to the lettuce, mushrooms, tomatoes and the like, salads just are not the same


You don't have to eliminate all oils from your diet in order to be healthy. Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for example, is rich in monounsaturated fat, which can lower your risk of heart disease by reducing the total and low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad") cholesterol levels in your blood. Olive oil also contains antioxidants like chlorophyll, carotenoids, and vitamin E. And according to some studies, olive oil actually helps your body maintain a lower weight. Grapeseed oil, Sesame Oil, and Coconut Oil are also great healthy alternatives to traditional cooking oils.

I wouldn't advise people to eat "Ranch dressing" or commercial salad dressings in general, because they tend to be high in animal fats, salt, processed sugar, artificial flavors, food colorings, and other junk. You can actually make your own salad dressing at home by mixing Olive oil, vinegar, garlic, and your favorite fresh herb (E.g., Oregano, Dill, etc.), which will be much more fresh and healthier to eat than commercial salad dressings. Throw a handful of almonds, fresh sliced avocadoes, and/or dried fruit on top, and by the time you're done, you'll have a gourmet salad, which can be eaten as a meal. It's important to get creative and move away from foods and condiments that you're used to eating. There are so many more healthy ways to dress up your salads than to drown it in heavy junk. And if significantly reducing fat and calories is a concern, then putting eggs, bacon, and ranch dressing all on a salad is probably not the best choice. That type of salad can contain as much fat as a fast-food meal.


YEs, You are so right,especially if they
don't want the high cholesterol. No One ever
told me about ranch dresssing. Thanks, for the
information because I can make the edits in my diet too. I'm glad that you said that. I got
to research more about these high animal fat foods.But Rowe, i'm just saying they don't have to have both eggs and bacon. What I should have
said is one or the other, that's if they want to dress up the salad.
quote:
Originally posted by nayo:
Sounds like a wonderful and healthy eating plan. I just began eating more healthy this past February. I've been trying a semi-vegetarian nutrition plan, with the exception of sushi/sashimi, but no meats, no oils of any kind, no eggs, no pork, beef (have'nt eaten beef in years), no chicken, oh and fat free cheese, little to no bread with the exception of whole wheat pita, and corn based taco shells, soy milk and fat free sour cream. Prior to that, I was eating a lot of fish, mostly tilapia, orange roughy, shrimp. but the cholesterol is to high for me, so that is why the switch; though I still will eat the orange roughy which is delicious.

So far I have lost almost 15 lbs (7 weeks), with no exercise. I probably would have lost more with exercise. I walk a lot anyway, so I'm counting that. I've been trying the soy 'meats', like 'seitan', which I do not like at all; and have been trying the Morningstar meatless products which are'nt to bad, especially the breakfast links. I've increased beans, ie pinto's, black beans, butter beans and my favorite, red beans. I have also developed a great liking of shitake mushrooms as they are chewy and make great burgers. Taking my little bean tacos to work has helped as they are very tasty. Also making sure to take my uh, 'Beano' for the carbon situation lol!

Today I cooked a big pot of chard, which was delicious! I could'nt stop eating them. I have also finally been able to trade in my beloved white rice/jasmine, for brown rice. I had been trying to eat the long grain brown rice, but could'nt stand it. Than researched online about the short grain brown rice, and the sweet/short grain brown rice, and love it. I also eat boiled corn. What I have to work on next is increasing my water, decreasing my salt, and limiting my artificial sweeteners, ie. Splenda. I'm going to try alterntives such as agave and stevia sweeteners. I do miss the oil based salad dressings, because I love salads, but without that oil to cling to the lettuce, mushrooms, tomatoes and the like, salads just are not the same; soooo, maybe I will allow for 'real' salad dressing as I have eliminated so much of the other types of foods I was eating.

I've' been (trying) to make my own maki sushi wraps, with the brown rice vinegar, the little sushi mat and the dry seaweed wraps. Not to good at wrapping them just yet; but I have developed a huge craving for eating the dry sushi wraps just as they are, like potato chips. I love them, even though they are a bit pricy, ie. 7 sheets a pack for $4-$8 dollars at 'WholeFoods'.

So, I've been hitting up 'authentic' asian stores where the seaweed wraps run at $2.00 a pack of 10, but you can't eat them as stand alones, to fishy tasting. I'm trying to loose more weight, and with this recent success, hope to see less of me by summer.


Nayo, what is sashimi and do you lift weights?
Do you eat 3 meals or 6 mini meals?
Hey 'Charismallover'!

Love your posts and your blog. Sashimi is specially prepared raw fish. It is not as weird as it may sound. I LOOVVVE it! Can be pricey, but just do an online search on sashimi and you will see hundreds to thousands of sites dedicated to all that is wonderful about sashimi. You have to be careful with sushi/sashmi because of the possibility of worms, which is not a good thing. As for meals, I eat depending on how I am feeling, which most times is the mini meals, but when its vegetables, such as aspargus, collard/mustard greens, sugar snap beans, I go for it, ie. eat bunches of the veggies. Or I will eat two whole ears of corn on the cob in addition to a meal of brown rice and asparagus. Just depends. For lunch the other day, I had about 3-4 'nori' rolls, which is the seaweed nori wraps, with a brown rice, cucumber and raw snap peas filling. And....a really small bowl of bean soup.
quote:
Originally posted by nayo:
Hey 'Charismallover'!

Love your posts and your blog. Sashimi is specially prepared raw fish. It is not as weird as it may sound. I LOOVVVE it! Can be pricey, but just do an online search on sashimi and you will see hundreds to thousands of sites dedicated to all that is wonderful about sashimi. You have to be careful with sushi/sashmi because of the possibility of worms, which is not a good thing. As for meals, I eat depending on how I am feeling, which most times is the mini meals, but when its vegetables, such as aspargus, collard/mustard greens, sugar snap beans, I go for it, ie. eat bunches of the veggies. Or I will eat two whole ears of corn on the cob in addition to a meal of brown rice and asparagus. Just depends. For lunch the other day, I had about 3-4 'nori' rolls, which is the seaweed nori wraps, with a brown rice, cucumber and raw snap peas filling. And....a really small bowl of bean soup.


Excellent, something I meant to say before is that you have such a wonderful way of eating.

AN idea that comes to mind though is,
the sashimi are probably the best fish for
fishing, already got a chance of having
worms prepared to bait other fish. Lol. BUt
again, I love the way you eat.Those foods
sound interesting to try.

Nayo, thank you! Big Grin 16 I'm so glad you
love my posts and blog. You made my day
so much!
For your salads with the boiled egg, remove the yolk. Egg whites are pure protein but the yellow yolk is laden with cholestrol.

Also add spinich to your salad and overall diet. Spinich is extremely healthy and offers little or no taste to salads or anything you put them on so it wll became an added health bebefit without altering taste.

If you have a food processor, make some homemade salsa fresh with onions, tomatoes and jalepano peppers with a little salt and pepper added. Add as much or as little of each item (especially the jalepano if you like it really hot or milder) for your taste.

I usually buy some salsa, use half and continually add the homemade salsa to it.

If you add an avacado to the mix, you have guacemole.

Also trying blending fruits to make jiuce instead of the canned juice which is packed with perservatives.

If you have a juicer use it. You can make fresh juice and use the leftover pulp for other uses.

If you use a blender, try blending at high speed fruits (oranges, apples pineapples etc, separate or mixed together) with plenty water.

I really don't like eating apples, oranges and watermelon but I blend them separately (or together) and drink them. Plus it makes it easier to digest.

It may come out with lots of pulp (depends on water to fruit ratio) with the blender but the benefit is pure fruit juice without all the added industrial chemicals.
quote:
Originally posted by Cholly:
For your salads with the boiled egg, remove the yolk. Egg whites are pure protein but the yellow yolk is laden with cholestrol.

Also add spinich to your salad and overall diet. Spinich is extremely healthy and offers little or no taste to salads or anything you put them on so it wll became an added health bebefit without altering taste.

If you have a food processor, make some homemade salsa fresh with onions, tomatoes and jalepano peppers with a little salt and pepper added. Add as much or as little of each item (especially the jalepano if you like it really hot or milder) for your taste.

I usually buy some salsa, use half and continually add the homemade salsa to it.

If you add an avacado to the mix, you have guacemole.

Also trying blending fruits to make jiuce instead of the canned juice which is packed with perservatives.

If you have a juicer use it. You can make fresh juice and use the leftover pulp for other uses.

If you use a blender, try blending at high speed fruits (oranges, apples pineapples etc, separate or mixed together) with plenty water.

I really don't like eating apples, oranges and watermelon but I blend them separately (or together) and drink them. Plus it makes it easier to digest.

It may come out with lots of pulp (depends on water to fruit ratio) with the blender but the benefit is pure fruit juice without all the added industrial chemicals.


I would starve on that diet. sck
quote:
Originally posted by Cholly:
For your salads with the boiled egg, remove the yolk. Egg whites are pure protein but the yellow yolk is laden with cholestrol.

Also add spinich to your salad and overall diet. Spinich is extremely healthy and offers little or no taste to salads or anything you put them on so it wll became an added health bebefit without altering taste.

If you have a food processor, make some homemade salsa fresh with onions, tomatoes and jalepano peppers with a little salt and pepper added. Add as much or as little of each item (especially the jalepano if you like it really hot or milder) for your taste.

I usually buy some salsa, use half and continually add the homemade salsa to it.

If you add an avacado to the mix, you have guacemole.

Also trying blending fruits to make jiuce instead of the canned juice which is packed with perservatives.

If you have a juicer use it. You can make fresh juice and use the leftover pulp for other uses.

If you use a blender, try blending at high speed fruits (oranges, apples pineapples etc, separate or mixed together) with plenty water.

I really don't like eating apples, oranges and watermelon but I blend them separately (or together) and drink them. Plus it makes it easier to digest.

It may come out with lots of pulp (depends on water to fruit ratio) with the blender but the benefit is pure fruit juice without all the added industrial chemicals.


Very good tips, thank you. Smile
Thanks for the heads up. HOw do you grind your meats? I've never done that.[/QUOTE]
I have an attachment to my food processor at home. It's really easy and you can buy things like tenderloin which has little to no fat and just add a bit of peanut oil if you'd like. I usually season it before so it gets mixed in really well.
Play around with things until you find what's easy and suits your tastes.

Good Luck! 1
quote:

It may come out with lots of pulp (depends on water to fruit ratio) with the blender but the benefit is pure fruit juice without all the added industrial chemicals.


I sometimes use a strainer lined with cheese cloth to take the pulp out. Had to do that when my children were little. I never bought any type of baby food or juices out the store for them.
quote:
Originally posted by PantherPrincess:
Thanks for the heads up. HOw do you grind your meats? I've never done that.

I have an attachment to my food processor at home. It's really easy and you can buy things like tenderloin which has little to no fat and just add a bit of peanut oil if you'd like. I usually season it before so it gets mixed in really well.
Play around with things until you find what's easy and suits your tastes.

Good Luck! 1[/QUOTE]

Sweet,another great idea.

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×