Skip to main content

NS:

I think Rowe is thinking about something else. I think she should fully explain herself as to what African Americans should be doing to get their message to the President. He might read Jet and Ebony. Maybe that's what she's talking about, talking to or through a third Party.

But I was just asking, why don't we have someone in the Pressroom, they have enough "White" people and Foreigners from every major Country. There are two or three African American News Media Origanizations, and it seems as if one of them should be able to get a seat in the room.

I think one Organization got a seat in the latter part of the Bush Administration, but I would like to see them on C-span, CNN, Meet the Press, Face the Nation, and some of the others. I don't think FOX count.

lesrt
quote:
Originally posted by leart:

But I was just asking, why don't we have someone in the Pressroom, they have enough "White" people and Foreigners from every major Country. There are two or three African American News Media Origanizations, and it seems as if one of them should be able to get a seat in the room.


Most African American News Media Organizations don't have a big enough readership to be considered viable enough to get invited to big news outlets.

And, those that do, like Radio One, are to busy trying to collect corporate dollars to concentrate on the betterment of the Black community. Priorities, and all ... sck

I agree we need Black media working for us. Most every other ethnic group has theirs. The Obama campaign set aside millions of dollars to the Hispanic press to put his message out to their audience. Maybe if people did a better job of supporting the Black press ... they'd do a better job of supporting us back? 19
quote:
Originally posted by leart:
NS:

I think Rowe is thinking about something else. I think she should fully explain herself as to what African Americans should be doing to get their message to the President. He might read Jet and Ebony. Maybe that's what she's talking about, talking to or through a third Party.

But I was just asking, why don't we have someone in the Pressroom, they have enough "White" people and Foreigners from every major Country. There are two or three African American News Media Origanizations, and it seems as if one of them should be able to get a seat in the room.

I think one Organization got a seat in the latter part of the Bush Administration, but I would like to see them on C-span, CNN, Meet the Press, Face the Nation, and some of the others. I don't think FOX count.

lesrt


These are all great ideas. However, your first post read as if you were suggesting the new media should be given sole responsibility for this task. I think the media, considering it's historical relationship with Blacks, should not be counted on to accurately represent the diverse views of African Americans. I didn't mean to discredit your idea to give the news media some responsiblity, but let's also take the responsibility ourselves to be the change we seek rather than wait for someone else to be a change mediator on our behalf. That's the main point that I intended to make.
quote:
Originally posted by negrospiritual:
because that is the purpose of media and journalism to keep government agencies and representatives honest and transparent by representing the interests of the people and asking questions FOR the people.


I thought the news media's job is to dilute information until it becomes misinformation and to keep both the American public and those who represent us ingnorant about world affairs and world views and embarressingly misinformed. And though I agree with some members that like all other groups in this country, African Americans must hold President Elect Obama accountable for change, I think better than any presidential candidate before him, President Elect Obama already knows well the issues that are affecting the African American community. He knows about the high incarceration rates. He knows about the broken homes and single-parent-headed households that are rampant in our community. He has talked about what it was like to watch his grandmother, who was a single parent, raise him on her own. He is fully aware of the dilapidated schools across the country, and the poor-quality education systems attended by the nation's children, particularly children residing in middle-class and poor communities.

So in addition to the support of the news media, I think perhaps some equally-effective ways to hold President Elect Obama accountable is to put those he appoints to address these issues on notice. Flood Obama's website with ideas. Write to the members of his administration, offering your ideas and immediate concerns, and strongly remind them that we are expecting the change President Elect Obama promised and we too are working to see to it that these changes are soon realized. And the news media's voice, if it can be fair and accurate in representing our concerns, would significantly help as well.
Rowe:

You still didn't identify the Vehicle that African Americans should use to get their message to the president. My Post was trying to indicate that the "African American" Media should be instrumental in getting across the African American Message. You seem to be talking about the Media in general, which is mostly "White" Media.

leart
quote:
Originally posted by Rowe:
quote:
When Obama start to get into this economic stimilus package, there are a lot of questions that Blacks have to ask. Do we have Black News Media to ask those questions? Are they in the Pressroom? Black Media has to start to ask that question now.


Don't Delegate Responsibility for Change. Take Responsibility for Change!

Why is it the responsibility of a Black news media to ask questions on your behalf? Asian Americans, Latin Americans, American Indians - They don't have a popular news media outlet to represent their groups' interests either. Should that prevent them from holding President Elect Obama accountable for addressing issues that are important to them? Stop complaining about what you don't have, and start focusing on other effective ways to have your questions and concerns heard. What else can you do, besides rely on news media, to get your message across to those who promise change?



Rowe, can you elaborate on this quote?

"Why is it the responsibility of a Black news media to ask questions on your behalf?"

I guess, i'm not fully understanding what is so wrong about having a black news media to ask questions on our behalf? Isn't this what the media is actually supposed to be doing?
Shaya:

In my opinion Bush didn't assend to the Presidency or stay there because of the laziness of the people. Those that had an interest in the election process were tired of affirmative action, and the minor advancements African Americans has made during the Clinton Era.

Many of the Civil Rights supporters of the 60's, and 70's became conservative when they saw that they had to share a part of the Pie with Blacks, but the Pie wasn't getting any larger. African American youngsters were entering top Universities while their' youngsters were being rejected.

A few of those, who were previously our supporters crossed over to the other side and tipped the scale, thus allowing Bush to win the election. Some say it was the anti-abortion group, or the Religious Right, or the Racist, that's true, but they had been there all the time, and was a historic given.

But as far as Obama cutting Programs are concerned. When he start trying to cut programs, and getting complaints from all the democrats that supported him, he'll find that there is less fat in the Budget than he thought.

A lot of that "Pork" supplies a lot of Jobs for many of his supporters. He can't indicate he's for creating Jobs, but turn around and close down many government programs, and put people on the street.

leart
Some seem to think that emails, letters, phone calls etc., are a good way to get ones message to a political person holding office. Maybe it is a good idea, and in some cases it works.

I'm a firm believer that African Americans has to have more visibility in the National Media. That includes Prime Time Anchors, News Talk Programs, etc.. These Programs are on TV several times a week, and there are no African American Anchors Nationally in Prime Time. There are some on weekends and evenings, but thar's about it.

leart
EbonY:

What do you mean by Radio One going after Corporate money. I guess they get Advertisement just like all the other Radio Stations.

You mention these foreign News Organizations getting a seat in the Pressroom, but you don't seem to relate how they don't represent any meaningful voting constituent in the Americdan Population.

What you are really trying to say is that a foreign media of any size has a automatic seat at the table rather than a large group of american citizens who can defeat or alter the election of the person who is in charge of the Pressroom.

This basic principle also applies to the Hispanics who make up about the same percentage of the population as Blacks in America, but vote in a lesser percentage, and even lesser for Democratics. We aren't concerned with all the reaches of the Hispanic People throughout South America, and Mexico because they don't vote in U.S. Elections.

leart
quote:
Originally posted by leart:
EbonY:

What do you mean by Radio One going after Corporate money. I guess they get Advertisement just like all the other Radio Stations.

You mention these foreign News Organizations getting a seat in the Pressroom, but you don't seem to relate how they don't represent any meaningful voting constituent in the Americdan Population.

What you are really trying to say is that a foreign media of any size has a automatic seat at the table rather than a large group of american citizens who can defeat or alter the election of the person who is in charge of the Pressroom.

This basic principle also applies to the Hispanics who make up about the same percentage of the population as Blacks in America, but vote in a lesser percentage, and even lesser for Democratics. We aren't concerned with all the reaches of the Hispanic People throughout South America, and Mexico because they don't vote in U.S. Elections.

leart


No, leart, I'm not talking about foreign news media. I'm talking about ethnic groups here within the U.S. who's media gets a seat at the table and the opportunity to voice their concerns about their community.

The Jews own all major media in the U.S. to begin with. That's why you see nothing but Whites represented at the national level. Other groups are treated as a matter of special interests, with the problem with that being that African Americans are always at the bottom of the totem pole.

The Black media is courted like everybody else at election time, but since we are considered so predictable, there's not a lot of reason for special attention.

And yes, Radio One gets their fair share of corporate advertisement dollars ... but problem with that being that instead of a more community-active approach to news and information, corporate money dictates content.
Bush did not need to stay in office and really, had more people been willing to go the distance to get him OUT of office, he would have been out.

As far as what we can do to get our views across, we need to keep discussing issues RATIONALLY in forums like these....because as I pointed out before, more than our members here are listening. They take what we say in here on a DAILY basis and discuss it in the media.

Almost EVERY suggestion that I've brought up in here or over at TBTT regarding fixing some political, financial or social issue has been grabbed a hold of and put to the American public.

For instance, I was talking to someone about the fact that we needed to give a pass to all "immigrants" who were in this country...we discussed this over at TBTT. While we argued over the merits of such an act on the board, that very suggestion was taken and presented to the American public...so much so that it actually made it to the floor to a vote.

Just recently, I was discussing with some friends my thought that we need to ReVamp the American credit system, given all of the bailouts we've been giving these corporations. Not even a week after we had been discussing this, the American public heard about a plan that is coming out that will ReVamp the current credit system.

So we DO need to keep bringing up the topics in here and elsewhere...they ARE listening...more than you think.

MoreOver, if you need to get some ideas across to the NEW Administration, go here and TELL THEM:

The Obama-Biden Transition Team

"Wisdom Is A Woman With An Impact!"
quote:
Originally posted by leart:
You still didn't identify the Vehicle that African Americans should use to get their message to the president. My Post was trying to indicate that the "African American" Media should be instrumental in getting across the African American Message. You seem to be talking about the Media in general, which is mostly "White" Media.

leart


quote:
Originally posted by Rowe:

So, in addition to the support of the news media, perhaps some equally-effective ways to hold President Elect Obama accountable for his promises is to put those he appoints on notice. Flood Obama's website with ideas. Write to the members of his administration, offering our ideas and immediate concerns. Strongly remind them that we are expecting the change President Elect Obama promised, and we too are working to see to it that these changes are soon realized. The news media's voice, if it can be fair and accurate in representing our concerns, would significantly help as well.
quote:
Originally posted by negrospiritual:
I guess, i'm not fully understanding what is so wrong about having a black news media to ask questions on our behalf? Isn't this what the media is actually supposed to be doing?


There is nothing wrong with collective efforts to keep President-Elect Obama mindful of the promises he's made to voters during his campaign, but as individuals, we can also be the change we seek. That's my original point. And again, I don't think that it's even necessary for a Black news media to get our message across to President-Elect Obama, because as a Black man whose been there and done that, he already knows the issues that are facing the most disadvantaged parts of our community. So I think he has gotten the message. What's left for us to do is, like all other groups (E.g., Latin American, Asian American, American Natives, etc.), is to REMIND President-Elect Obama that our issues matter too and they need to be addressed before the end of his term. If we want to rely on a Black News Media to do the reminding, then what can we do to make this happen? If not, then what's the alternative?
quote:
Originally posted by Rowe:

And again, I don't think that it's even necessary for a Black news media to get our message across to President-Elect Obama, because as a Black man whose been there and done that, he already knows the issues that are facing the most disadvantaged parts of our community.


Every politician is made more responsive by collective action. It is always necessary. i cannot recall any major political achievements which occurred outside of collective action...



quote:
Besides relying on the news media, what else can [B]Black people do, as individuals, to hold President-Elect Obama accountable for addressing problems in the Black community?[/B]


Recognize that there is a legitimate role for collective action.
It's good to hear that some of your Posting advances the cause of our wellbeing. However, for the most part, many of these obscure Message Boards are only viewed and posted too by Members of those' Boards.

The Message Board has always been, and continue to be a tool for some of us to express a viewpoint, and have someone respond to it. I think it's grossly naive for me to think Public Officials have their assistants sitting around reading comments on message boards.

But it is true that some of the Webmasters or owners of Political Messages Boards will send copies of comments pretaining to certain Officials directly to them, if it states their position on an issue. However, that is less effective than a Voter sending an Official an Email, a phone call, or some type of instant message.

Blacks have to be more effective as Political Professionals by knowing their Candidates, their Issues, and voting based on their interest, and general welfare. Blacks are not intelligent voters, we still allow "White" to come into Black Churches to get Blacks Votes, but these same White Candidates have never supported a Black Issue, or hired a Black on their Staff.

In many areas of our Country, it's expected that Blacks should support White Candidates, but not the reverse, and that has been an acceptable practice for Blacks for some reasons. In my case if you don't support me, I don't support you.

However, Message Boards or the Internet in general is a good idea as a tool to create some unity among Blacks, and firm up the major Black Organizations who are somewhat splintered, and ineffective. But I think that would take some time, too many Chief's.

Blacks need a Roundtable of all our Civil Rights Organizations to form an Action Agenda for the Black Community. In otherwords, organize to get something specific done in our communities, and test the Plan in one City at a time. First of all, Blacks have to clean up their communities.

We have to radically reduce Drugs and Criminal Activity so some type of Commerce can flourish. We have to curb the "Out of Wedlock Births" where children are put on the streets at an early age with no possibility of a successful future.

leart

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×