Skip to main content

These are the events that we need to remember and pass on to our children in order to prosper and continue the struggle.

Subject: 86 years since Black Wall Street

Many thanks to our forefathers! 86 years ago.?????

The date was June 1, 1921 when "BLACK WALLSTREET", the name fittingly given to one of the most affluent all-BLACK communities in America , was bombed from the air and burned to the ground by mobs of envious whites. In a period spanning fewer than 12 hours, a once thriving Black business district in northern Tulsa lay smoldering--a model community destroyed and a major African-American economic movement resoundingly defused.

The night's carnage left some 3,000 African Americans dead and over 600 successful businesses lost. Among these were 21 churches, 21 restaurants, 30 grocery stores and two movie theaters, plus a hospital, a bank, a post office, libraries, schools, law offices, a half dozen private airplanes and even a bus system. As could have been expected, the impetus behind it all was the infamous Ku Klux Klan, working in consort with ranking city officials and many other sympathizers.

The best description of BLACK WALLSTREET, or little Africa as it was also known, would be to compare it to a mini-Berverly Hills. It was the golden door of the BLACK community during the early 1900s, and it proved that African Americans could create a successful infrastructure. That's what BLACK WALLSTREET was all about.

The dollar circulated 36 to 100 times, sometimes taking a year for currency to leave the community. Now a dollar leaves the BLACK community in 15-minutes. As far as resources, there were Ph.D.'s residing in little Africa , BLACK attorneys and doctors. One doctor was Dr. Berry who owned the bus system. His average income was $500 a day, a hefty pocket change in 1910.

It was a time when the entire state of Oklahoma had only two Airports, yet six BLACKS owned their own planes. It was a very fascinating community. The mainstay of the community was to educate every child. Nepotism was the one word they believed in. and that's what we need to get back to.

The main thoroughfare was Greenwood Avenue , and it was intersected by Archer and Pine Streets. From the first letters in each of those three names you get G.A.P. and that's where the renowned R and B music group the GAP Band got its name. They're from Tulsa .

BLACK WALLSTREET was a prime example of the typical, BLACK community in America that did businesses, but it was in an unusual location. You see, at the time, Oklahoma was set aside to be a BLACK and Indian state. There were over 28 BLACK townships there. One third of the people who traveled in the terrifying "Trail of Tears" along side the Indians between 1830 and 1842 were BLACK people.

The citizens of this proposed Indian and BLACK state chose a BLACK governor, a treasurer from Kansas named McDade. But the Ku Klux Klan said that if he assumed office that they would kill him within 48 hours. A lot of BLACKS owned farmland, and many of them had gone into the oil business. The community was so tight and wealthy because they traded dollars hand-to-hand, and because they were dependent upon one another as a result of the Jim Crow Laws.

It was not unusual that if a resident's home accidentally burned down, it could be rebuilt within a few weeks by neighbors. This was the type of scenario that was going on day-to-day on BLACK WALLSTREET. When BLACKs intermarried into the Indian culture, some of them received their promised '40 acres and a mule' and with that came whatever oil was later found on the properties.

On BLACK WALLSTREET, a lot of global business was conducted, the community flourished from the early 1900s until June 1, 1921. That's when the largest massacre of nonmilitary Americans in the history of this country took place, and it was lead by the KU KLUX KLAN. Imagine walking out of your front door and seeing 1,500 homes being burned. It must have been amazing.

Survivors we interviewed think that the whole thing was planned because during the time that all of this was going on; white families with their children stood around the borders of their community and watched the massacre. The looting and everything--much in the same manner they would watch a lynching.

The riots weren't caused by anything black or white. It was caused by jealousy. A lot of white folks had come back from World War I and they were poor. When they looked over into the BLACK communities and realized that BLACK men who fought in the war had come, home heroes that helped trigger the destruction.

It cost the BLACK community everything, and not a single dime of restitution--no insurance claims-- has been awarded the victims to this day. Nonetheless, they rebuilt. We estimate 1,500 to 3,000 people were killed and we know that a lot of them were buried in mass graves all around the city. Some were thrown into the river. As a matter of fact, at 21st street and Yale Avenue , where there now stands a Sears parking lot, that corner used to be a coal mine. They threw a lot of the bodies into the shafts.

Unmarked graves

TULSA, Oklahoma (CNN) -- Beulah Smith and Kenny Booker, two elderly Oklahomans, lived through one of the worst race riots in U.S. history, a rarely mentioned 1921 Tulsa blood bath that officially took dozens of African-American lives, but more likely claimed hundreds, perhaps even thousands.

The Tulsa Race Riot Commission, formed two years ago to determine exactly what happened, will consider next week the controversial issue of what, if any, reparations should be paid to the known survivors of the riot, a group of less than 100 that includes Smith, now 92, and Booker, 86.

'The gun went off, the riot was on'
On the night of May 31, 1921, mobs called for the lynching of Dick Rowland, a black man who shined shoes, after hearing reports that on the previous day he had assaulted Sarah Page, a white woman, in the elevator she operated in a downtown building.

A local newspaper had printed a fabricated story that Rowland tried to rape Page. In an editorial, the same newspaper said a hanging was planned for that night.

As groups of both blacks and whites converged on the Tulsa courthouse, a white man in the crowd confronted an armed black man, a war veteran, who had joined with other blacks to protect Rowland.

A fabricated newspaper story triggered the violent riots that may have left hundreds, if not thousands, dead.
Commission member Eddie Faye Gates told CNN what happened next. "This white man," she said, asked the black man, "what are you doing with this gun?'"

"'I'm going to use it if I have to,'" the black man said, according to Gates, "and (the white man) said, 'No, you're not. Give it to me,' and he tried to take it. The gun went off, the white man was dead, the riot was on."

Truckloads of whites set fires and shot blacks on sight. When the smoke lifted the next day, more than 1,400 homes and businesses in Tulsa 's Greenwood district, a prosperous area known as the "black Wall Street," lay in ruins.

Today, only a single block of the original buildings remains standing in the area.

The official death toll was below 100, most of them black, but there was always doubt about the actual number. Experts now estimate that at least 300 people, and perhaps as many as 3,000, died.

'We're in a heck of a lot of trouble'
Beulah Smith was 14 years old the night of the riot. A neighbor named Frenchie came pounding on her family's door in a Tulsa neighborhood known as "Little Africa " that also went up in flames.

"'Get your families out of here because they're killing niggers uptown,'" she remembers Frenchie saying. "We hid in the weeds in the hog pen," Smith told CNN.

People in a mob that came to Kenny Booker's house asked, "'Nigger, do you have a gun?'" he told CNN.

Booker, then a teen-ager, hid with his family in their attic until the home was torched. "When we got downstairs, things were burning. My sister asked me, 'Kenny, is the world on fire?' I said, 'I don't know, but we're in a heck of a lot of trouble, baby.'"

Another riot survivor, Ruth Avery, who was 7 at the time, gives an account matched by others who told of bombs dropped from small airplanes passing overhead. The explosive devices may have been dynamite or Molotov cocktails -- gasoline-filled bottles set afire and thrown as grenades.

"They'd throw it down and when it'd hit, it would burst into flames," Avery said.

Only a single block remains of the 1,400 homes and businesses that made up the area known as the 'black Wall Street'
Unmarked graves
Many of the survivors "mentioned bodies were stacked like cord wood," says Richard Warner of the Tulsa Historical Society.

In its search for the facts, the commission has literally been trying to dig up the truth.

Two headstones at Tulsa 's Oaklawn Cemetery indicate that riot victims are buried there. In an effort to determine how many, archeological experts in May used ground-piercing radar and other equipment to test the soil in a search for unmarked graves.

The test picked up indications that dozens, if not hundreds, of people may have been buried in an area just outside the cemetery.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ma'at Hotep Momentum

I just finish re-reading Black Bourgeoisie by E. Franklin Frazier and was reminded of 'Black Wall' street which some say was copied by the the Wall Street of NYC. I don't think too many Black folk know about Black Wall Street, which was an extremtly important area or event in Black amerikkkann history and needs to be taught to Black students in this country. Thwy need to know that we, in fact, had a varity of successful businesses in the early part of this century although we no longer enjoy most of them today. They need to know why and how thousands of our people were murderded in the Wall 'Street Greenville area, their property stolen and also it was the first amerikkkan city bombed from the air because of their expertise in the field of economics in amerikkka. I have never read in any european history book about Black Wall Street and I dare say that it will ever be revealed in the history books of this country unless we, Black folk, insist or insure that it is. And even if white folk put it in their history books, the truth will not be told unless we monitor what is being said.

Most Blacks and whites have never heard of the Greenville area of Tulsa, Oklhoma and Black Wlll Street in general. Nor are they aware of the various cities in the state of Oklahoma inhabited exclusively by Black native ameriklans, free Black and ex-Black slaves. Perhaps readers of this thread will do reaerch and learn how well endowed we were, as a race, in the financial structure in this country over seventy to eighty years ago. And in doing so will learn that we owned over a hundred banks, insurance companies and other businesses we no longer enjoy. The businesses owned by Blacks on Black Wall Street was a training ground for the youth in Black amerikkka who wanted to venture into world of finances and entreprenueralship.

A dialog needs to be opened to discuss this historical period in the history of Black people in this country. Perhaps we can learn more about Black Wall Street from those who have additioal information to share on Black Wall Street. Marcus Garvey's movement came during or shortly after Black Wall Street and he too was prevented from helping Black folk for the same reasons the business men and women of Black Wall Street were prevented. The difference is Marcus Garvey was jailed and not murdered. Only his soul was murdered and some Black people were instrumental in his demise.

Thank you Momentum for reminding those of us of who are aware of Black Wall Street that we should never forget what happened to it's Afrikan inhabitants and businesses. We. in the Black communilty, should have the date of June 1st set aside each year as a momento to our people who lost everything on Black Wall Street in the Greenville ares of Tulsa, Oklahoma. This happened only because of their expertise in the finalcial area and the jealously of whites who could not compete. The KKK, poor whites and the white news media as well as well-to-do whites were involved therefore they all share the blame.

I now know what GAP stands for in the name for the group 'The GAP' band. Amazing how the sharing of inforamation will allow us to interact and learn from one another. We need more of this. Hotep. Olu Olufemi Chike.
The GAP band as you've said named their group after the 1921 Tulsa riots. But the streets are Greenwood, Archer and Pine. That was the business district of what was called the Black Wall Street.

I worked with a brotha from Tulsa whose grandmother was a child during that time and some of the stories that she told him were amazing. Below is a link with alot of information:

(There is some audio that is kind of annoying. You may won't to mute your sound)

http://www.blackwallstreet.freeservers.com/
Carl Prather, I can't remember the title of it, but I taped a documentary on Cinemax about the Tulsa Riot of 1921. I remember that several black actors (Bill Cosby, Danny Glover, Alfre Woodard, etc.) read the diary journals of the black, and a few white, survivors of the unrest.

Maybe they'll have it on Amazon.com. I hope it'll be on DVD, since the tape is over 5 years old.
quote:
Originally posted by Empty Purnata:
And then the whitestream media tries to make it look like the 1993 WTC bombing and 9/11 were the only terrorist attacks on US soil. As if White people have never committed acts of terrorism against other people within US borders. Mad

Like the 'founding' of Amerikkka wasn't a continuous state of terrorism.

I went to the 7th annual Black Wallstreet commemoration march on May 27th in Tulsa, my homeboy from my Ile/Egbe and a few political organizations, founded it with my Babalawo...

It's a yearly seminar with speakers from the still living survivors/victims and their lawyer; who is fighting for reparations. BTW, the supreme court denied their petition for reparations, saying that it was past the statute of limitations, that they should have reported it to the police(KKK) within 3 years of the incident. Isn't that cute, report it to the people who actually burned and bombed you! bang

There is also an egungun/ancestor march down Greenwood that ends at the memorial. It was quite moving.

Here are some rare photos on the flyer...

http://attach.mud.mail.yahoo.com/us.f311.mail.yahoo.com...ort=date&pos=0&Idx=7"%20align=left%20border=0>
quote:
Originally posted by Oshun Auset:
quote:
Originally posted by Empty Purnata:
And then the whitestream media tries to make it look like the 1993 WTC bombing and 9/11 were the only terrorist attacks on US soil. As if White people have never committed acts of terrorism against other people within US borders. Mad

Like the 'founding' of Amerikkka wasn't a continuous state of terrorism.

I went to the 7th annual Black Wallstreet commemoration march on May 27th in Tulsa, my homeboy from my Ile/Egbe and a few political organizations, founded it with my Babalawo...

It's a yearly seminar with speakers from the still living survivors/victims and their lawyer; who is fighting for reparations. BTW, the supreme court denied their petition for reparations, saying that it was past the statute of limitations, that they should have reported it to the police(KKK) within 3 years of the incident. Isn't that cute, report it to the people who actually burned and bombed you! bang

Just today I heard fucking former Congressman Zell Miller waxing poetic about how the Pilgrims came on the Mayflower with a Bible in one hand and a musket in the other and "transformed the savage wildnerness into a beacon of civilization".
Mad bang karate

quote:
There is also an egungun/ancestor march down Greenwood that ends at the memorial. It was quite moving.

Here are some rare photos on the flyer...

http://attach.mud.mail.yahoo.com/us.f311.mail.yahoo.com...ort=date&pos=0&Idx=7"%20align=left%20border=0>

Cool! Thanks for the info! Wink I need to find out if they hold these rallies anywhere near my area.
Ma'at Hotep Family

Lets not forget that the police in Philly was instrumental in the fire bombing of an African amerikkkan compound inhabited by an organization called 'MOVE". The mayor, at the time, was either a white racist ex-cop named Rizzo or a Black man named Wilson Goode. I cannot remember which but I think it was Wilson Goode at the time. As I said I am not sure who the mayor was at the time or the exact date or time it occurred but I know this incident occurred. Perhaps a family member can provide details as to 'when it happen, what actually happened, exactly who was involved and where are they (MOVE) today'. As to the 'why'?, Blackness speaks for itself although additional details are in order.

Also, there was a bombing in California of an African amerikkkan group around that same time. I cannot remember the name of the group or the date and time this event took place. This group was on top of the COINTELPRO list and was considerded an anti-amerikkkan group of Black radical terrorist. . The group, in which a super-rich white girl named Patti Hearst (of the Hearst news empire) was involved, was to be destroyed, according to Hoover and the FBI, no matter what. If my memery serves me correctly Patti Hearst was said to have been in love with the leader of this group which she denied. She was caught on video assisting in a bank robbery by the group, so they say. Eventually they were trapped in the basement of a house somewhere in the bay area. The house was either bombed or intentionally set afire by the gestapo where some members were shot or burned to death and the rest were put on trial for a number of charges. Patti Hearts denied her involvment, claimed to have been kidnapped by the group and was acquitted of all charges and the rest, who were not murdered or killed, went to jail and are probably still in jail. She later married one of her body guards and the rest, as they say, is history. Perhaps a family member can provide us with some details. Least I forget, a made-for-TV movie was made of her life which will make you want to puke. Hotep. Olu Olufemi Chike
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Carl Prather:
Ma'at Hotep Family

Lets not forget that the police in Philly was instrumental in the fire bombing of an African amerikkkan compound inhabited by an organization called 'MOVE". The mayor, at the time, was either a white racist ex-cop named Rizzo or a Black man named Wilson Goode. I cannot remember which but I think it was Wilson Goode at the time. As I said I am not sure who the mayor was at the time or the exact date or time it occurred but I know this incident occurred. Perhaps a family member can provide details as to 'when it happen, what actually happened, exactly who was involved and where are they (MOVE) today'. As to the 'why'?, Blackness speaks for itself although additional details are in order.

Here are a couple of links about that incident. I will never forget that. They dropped a bomb on men, women and children. Pure hatred.

According to the USAToday story and your sharp memory, Wilson Goode was the mayor who approved the bombing.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-05-11-philadelphia-bombing_x.htm

http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/MOVE-Phihladelphia-BombNYT14may85.htm
quote:
Originally posted by Carl Prather:
Ma'at Hotep ac9311

Thank you very, very much for the link to 'Black Wall Street'. I have been searching for such a link. I am also looking for any book or DVD I can find. This was an important period in the history of Afrikans in amerikkka and this story needs to be shared with our youth. Again, thank you ac9311. Hotep. Olu Olufemi Chike

You are very welcome my brotha'. Those images are painfully to look at. I think there is a link on that site where you can purchase a DVD. If not that site, there was one that I considered purchasing some years back. I will see if I can locate that link for you.
Ma'at Hotep Huey

I am trying to find this film myself. Thus far, no luck. I will not give up in my quest to find it. I have called several friends and was told they've never heard of it butthey are going to research it as well. With several pairs of eyes searching for it I am sure that, if it is still available, we will find it. Thanks, again, for the information. Hotep my brother. Olu Olufemi Chike

By the way, today I watched a documentary of the murder of Fred Hapmton and Mark Clark, leaders of the Black Panter Party of Chicago in the sixties. The documentary proved that these brothers were murdered by gestopo police which included a couple of negro cops who lied and said the brothers fired first. The brothers never had a chance because they were asleep when the door to their apartment, in the wee hours of the morning, was kicked in and the gestopo started firig first immeditedly but lied and said they were fired on first. The BPP was awarded, eventually, 1.5 million but the lost of these two beautiful brothers can not be measured in dollars. OLU.
Ma'at Hotep Brother Huey

I'd be more than happy to pay for any shipping and handling charges. E-mail me at cpohio1940@aol.com and I'll give you my mailing address. Addiitionally, any information relative to our struggle that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Havn't heard from friend Kevin since I told him that he's probably being watched as well as his friend who he claims 'defected' from Russia. I either scared the hell out of him or he is an 'agent' for u-no-who!!! Hotep Huey. Olu Olufemi Chike.
Thanks Ebony and all for the pat on the back for the topic.

This history shows that we don't need other people to prop us up we can do it on our own and by our terms if we have the will to do so.

White liberals have this paternal view of black people, they feel sorry for us, they need to take care of us, because they see us of not being capable, we are too broken to help ourselves. That is the White Lib view of black people.

I HATE THEM G-DAMMIT!!!!! I HATE WHITE LIBS!!!!
We don't need you, they are bigots too but some of us will stoop to kiss their asses just becuase they are DEMOCRATS, fuk'em I hate them!!!!
Momentum, I disagree that white liberals feel sorry for us. Some might empathize with us but not in a manner of sympathy. Some may feel guilty as to what their ancestores did to us and the beneficiaries of their material wealth or gains are still doing to us. But in the final analysis, they are all true red and white blooded amerikkkans and settle for nothing less. These same liberals have not put up a fight for reparations due us because they don't have that much 'sympathy' for what happened to us. We, in more ways than one, are like a novelty to them. You know; pat us on the head and say 'good boy'. I have no hatred for the entire white race because I know who and what they are and why they are. There are white folk who will do us less harm than some of our own people. Some of our people would replace the white race as enslavers because they emulate the white race in every aspect and spectrum of life. These are the first of our enemies who have to be dealth with and then we can deal with the white bigots. We must clean our won house first. Thay means dealing with those 'niggers' in our race. Nigger meaning: murders, thieves, gang bangers, uncle tom politicians, rogue Black law enforcement officials, anglo-saxon negro's and anyone who demeans and disrespect our women and children as well as our elderly.

We should have learned some valuable lessons from the destruction of Black Wall Street, the group 'Move', The Republic of New Africa, the group 'US', The Black Panther Party, the Nation of Islam, Malcolm X, Marcus Garvey, Kwame Tume, Martin Luther King, and countless other Black movements and Black leaders. When will we come to the realization that we must unite in every area of our lives to prevent our demise as a race.

The white race's worst fear is 'miscegenation' (race mixing) as the instrument to their destruction and we are, in their eyes, the culprits. Their worst fear is that white women will bear 'Black' babies and white men will sire Black babies. I recall a book I read years ago which, if I recall correctly, is entitled "The Choice: Segregation or Miscegentaiton" by a white racist politician from Mississippi named Theodore G. Bilbo. I recall he was the democratic govenor of Mississippi and then a leading U.S. senator in D.C. In his book he explained that by intergrating with the Black race, a race of mongoloids (akin to the Black race) would emerge and thereby the eventual elemination of the white race. Thats what white racism is's all about. The sooner we understand this, the sooner we can deal with our problems, not theirs. Ma'at Hotep, Olu Olufemi Chike.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.