Skip to main content

5-Year-Old Cuffed and Charged With Assault

5-Year-Old Cuffed and Charged With Assault

5-year-old cuffed and charged with assault: Michael Davis' school invited a police officer to campus to "scare [him] straight," Gawker reports. When the kindergartner, who has ADHD, wouldn't calm down, he was handcuffed, taken to a psychiatric hospital and charged with assault. It's pretty hard to imagine how anyone thought this would be effective, or how responding to a temper tantrum was the best use of the community's law-enforcement resources that day.

First class to graduate from Oprah's academy: At the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy For Girls in South Africa, the 72 girls who were the school's first students in 2007 are preparing for their graduation ceremony in January. Next up: They've all been accepted to college.

Comcast accused of discriminating against African Americans: A federal lawsuit filed Monday in Chicago accused Comcast Corp. of discriminating against the African-American employees of its South Side facility and its own customers by requiring workers to install defective or bug-infested equipment into residents' homes, the Chicago Tribune reports.

Oldest black church in U.S. restored in Boston: Following a painstaking, $9 million restoration, the African Meeting House building is set to reopen to the public early next month.

Like The Root on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.

"I'm just trying to make a way out of no way, for my people" -Modejeska Monteith Simpkins

AFRICAN AMERICA IS AT WAR

THERE IS A RACE WAR ON AFRICAN AMERICA

THERE IS A RACE WAR ON AFRICAN AMERICANS

THERE IS A RACE WAR ON BLACK PEOPLE IN AMERICA

AMERICA'S RACISTS HAVE INFILTRATED AMERICAN POLICE FORCES TO WAGE A RACE WAR AGAINST BLACK PEOPLE IN AMERICA

THE BLACK RACE IS AT WAR

FIRST WORLD WAR:  THE APPROXIMATELY 6,000 YEAR WORLD WAR ON AFRICA AND THE BLACK RACE

Last edited by sunnubian
Original Post

Today in Police Brutality: 5-Year-Old Cuffed and Charged with Assault

Michael Davis is a hyperactive 5-year-old diagnosed with ADHD who frequently gets into fights at school. His mother calls him an "energetic, loving, good kid" who is misunderstood by school administrators at Rio Calaveras Elementary of Stockton, California. They disagree, frequently complaining to his divorced parents that he is a discipline problem. When the school didn't see any improvement, they took matters in their own hands, and invited a police officer to the school to scare Michael straight.

According to a police report filed after the incident, the officer, Lt. Frank Gordo (pictured, upper-right), says he placed his hand on Michael's and then "the boy pushed my hand away in a batting motion, pushed papers off the table, and kicked me in the right knee."

When Michael wouldn't calm down, Gordo cuffed Michael's hands and feet with zip ties and took the boy to the Stockton Kaiser Psychiatric Hospital in the back of a squad car.

He had not called Michael's mother or father at that point.

Michael was cited for battery on a police officer.

At least he didn't tase him?

Michael's father was the one who picked him up from the psychiatric hospital, his son emerging hours later with his hands still zip-tied behind his back. It took several weeks before his mother was even informed that her son had been zip-tied at all. The charges were eventually dropped by a juvenile court judge, and the case is currently under review by the San Joaquin County Grand Jury and the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights. [KCRA via BoingBoing, Screengrabs via KCRA]

================================================

So why did it take "several weeks" for the mother to find out when the father picked him up??? 

And I wonder if the boy takes/needs any medication for his illness??  Or if the psychiatrists were able to diagnose him with some other condition?? 

First of all, I don't BELIEVE in medicating children that YOUNG!!! Secondly, school officials are too quick to handcuff our children instead of using the tools and skills they went to college and supposedly trained for. Whatever happened to go to the corner?  Whatever happened to time out and then contacting parents before sending him off to a psychiatric hospital? Whatever happen to steps to mitigate the problem prior to giving up and calling the police?  On a five-year old?  GTFOH!!  See we really need to address the issue of finding out whether those in charge of our children are QUALIFIED!!!!!!  Many are not. 

Having said that, children nowadays, especially Black children, need to have food modification in that, parents need to watch what they are feeding young children cuz it could be that his behavior is triggered by a food allergy.  I don't believe children that young have the ability to be ADHD-that's a term professional used to medication children they don't wanna deal with or treat with an intensive therapy program.  Black parents are also too quick to accept this form of diagnosis about their children-I wouldn't.  I guess long gone are the days when we can say I know my child.  But still, I would be leary in trusting the medical industry cuz too many of our children currently are doped up.  Many outta of foster care.  So...what will happen in the future?  I mean you can't keep giving them drugs...right?  Look at Mike Tyson.  I mean yes he did take medications but stopped.  But did he really need it?  Could his condition be a direct response to feeling abandoned by family and not knowing how to process that empty feeling and food somehow triggered bad behavior?  We don't know.  Cuz instead of trying to resolve problems such as this, it is much easier to give our children drugs....and worry about heaven later.  I think this fast food approach with dealing with this young child fits the criteria of "we don't give a fock about your child.  If he misbehaves and not on drugs, we will lock him up regardless of his age."  And I see this more and more.  Tragic.    And ridiculous.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.