Skip to main content

3 Officers Arrested And Charged In Vicious Beating Of Inmate

The corrections officers allegedly beat an inmate and ripped out his dreadlocks as a keepsake in 2013.

09/21/2016 03:17 pm ET

Three New York State corrections officers were arrested Wednesday and charged with criminal civil rights and obstruction violations in a 2013 attack that left an inmate with broken bones and a collapsed lung.

An indictment against the officers ― George Santiago, Kathy Scott and Carson Morris ― paints a horrifying picture of abuse against the victim, Kevin Moore, on Nov. 12 of that year at Downstate Correctional Facility in upstate New York.

After Moore and another inmate objected to being thrown in a small cell “designed for inmates with mental health issues,” the officers allegedly punched him and beat him with a baton repeatedly, the indictment stated. Though Moore was “defenseless” and crying out in pain, Santiago allegedly “reared back and kicked Moore in the face, and then laughed.”

The attack continued. Moore’s pants fell down, and he was kicked and punched in the groin. As Moore was lying in a pool of his own blood, Santiago allegedly ripped out the inmate’s dreadlocks “as a souvenir for his motorcycle,” the indictment said. Moore was hospitalized for 17 days.

To cover their tracks, Santiago smacked one of the officers with a baton, and all five allegedly agreed to frame Moore for the attack. Two other officers ― Andrew Lowery and Donald Cosman ― have already pleaded guilty to similar charges of beating Moore and trying to cover the crime up.

The investigation was initially coordinated by the state Corrections Department’s internal affairs unit, which used to be made up of corrections officers who often didn’t want to point fingers at their colleagues, according to The New York Times. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo reorganized the unit and hired dozens of federal investigators, who then charged the Downstate officers.

The state jail system is under fire for similar incidents across New York. In another case last year, an inmate at Fishkill Correctional Facility was killed after he was rushed by 20 guards ― known as the facility’s “Beat Up Squad” ― who repeatedly kicked and punched him, then tossed him down a staircase. That incident is being investigated as a homicide.

READ THE INDICTMENT: 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Why are they not charged with assault and battery with intent to kill?  

Why are they not charged with a Hate Crime?

Even these newly assigned "Federal Investigators" are trying to give these psychopaths a damn pass by only charging their sadistic, mentally deranged asses with "criminal civil rights and obstruction violations", so that IF they actually do get convicted, they will only serve easy, safe FED-time in a Federal Prison, instead of being sentenced to the same prison where they committed this egregious CRIME, just like all the other freaking criminals in there.  

The should be charged with assault and battery with intent to kill, Hate Crime, AND Criminal Civil Rights and Obstructions Violations!

We have NO IDEA what goes on in these "CORRECTIONAL" facilities. This happened to Mr. Moore in 2013, the Slave Patrols have been going on forever. Mr. Moore is just one of a LONG LIST of our sons and daughters that have been so terrorized and killed too. Everywhere they 'SERVE' they're terrorized. Don't forget the Kilitary. Those are just YT's in different uniforms. The mindset's the same with them ALL when it comes to us. We have NO IDEA what TRANSPIRES, has TRANSPIRED, will TRANSPIRE, once they're on their own to face THESE FUCKS in the workplace, walking, driving, in stores;, etc.  We DO NOT KNOW ALL and we NEVER will. We have people missing, where are they? They're probably laying somewhere in unmarked graves.

This dark skin, hair of wool, uniqueness freaks out the ENTIRE WORLD!!! 

Whatwegondoboutit? How? When? Some people make it here wealth wise/monetarily wise; heaps are in the DEPTHS OF HELL, while HATRED abounds for us ALL. In this country, it's stated, that it's not as bad here for us as it is elsewhere. Isn't that nice to know??

Last edited by Norland

White folks WRITE the RULES AND REGULATIONS for US to follow; not themselves. THEY mete out the JUSTICE where theY'll be footloose and fancy free; we'll be serving 3 consecutive life sentences, with 40 years solitary confinement thrown in for good measure.

Prison is a ZOO for Africans in America. Not one ounce different than the ZOOS for the 4 legged Lions, Tigers, Elephants FROM Africa. NONE. To them, we're Harambe's brothers and sisters/relatives. 

Every time they SHOOT ONE OF US DOWN, they're suffering from KING KONG SYNDROME. 

Never realizing it is THEY that are the RELATIVES OF APES, big time!!!!! We need to shoot the fuck BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Monkey for Monkey!!!!!! Ape for Ape!!!!!!!!

Dear Motherfuckers:  We HAVE LIPS!!!!!!! Have no TAILS that I know; yours are on YOUTUBE!!!!! Check out those NASTY SKIN CANCERS YOU GET. Whew!!!!!!! YOUTUBE says you are LEPERS. YOU HAVE LEPROSY. YOU'RE A STEP AND A HALF FROM ALBINOS. YOU'RE CREEPS!!!!! I can't even eat Pig's feet anymore; they reminded me of White Women's hands and I lost my fucking slave food eating/high blood pressure causing appetite, before they (the tootsies) killed me.

Last edited by Norland

The KKKlanCop that does the killing, lives in luxury close to or surpassing millionaire status.

I might kill someone too, if I thought I could get away with it, have no conscience bother me for the rest of my life, wipe the vision of the deceased out of my mind; if I could go to Tiffany's and buy a diamond ring, after the fact. Yep!!

Last edited by Norland

Dude?  You NEED to put that on a tee-shirt and sell it.  I'm serious.  A lotta folks forget this is the routine.  Put it out there.  Wear it.  And people will get the sense that they cannot stop until justice prevails.  Cuz look around.  Where is the celebrity OUTRAGE?  Clooney went across the Atlantic Ocean to protest about a war in Sudan where there's a war right in America.  He hasn't said a word.  Neither has Samuel Jackson, Will Smith, Wesley Snipes, Lawrence Fishburne, Anthony Anderson, Kevin Hart, Sidney Poiter[he's STILL alive], Denzel Washington, Ice T[hell he wrote a rap song about the police], Shemar Moore, Steve Harris, Steve Harvey, Harry Belafonte[he walked to Selma], Fred Wliiamson[he's still alive...right?],  Joe Morton, Courtney Vance, Chris Rock [where is his bugle horn?]all the other  current actors and actresses like Halley Berry, Vannessa Williams, Regina King, Angela Bassett, Paula Patton, Jada Pinkett[what she only cared about her husband getting an Oscar and not the many deaths of black people?] and the rest of the black actresses and comedians male and female I can't think of their names right now.  Where the fock are they?  And why are they soooooooooooooo quiet?  You can hear a pin drop around Hollywood.    Your post above my brotha?  Is huge.   It's goes straight to the heart....and will compel action.  I mean don't believe me?  Test it.  And see.  Cuz all these protests and demonstration is doing but giving police overtime.  And again...they are being paid to harm black folks.  So. As I've been saying... we need a new strategy cuz all I see are coward black folks in the entertainment field to SCARED to be a voice like our ancestors were a voice for us.  What's wrong with this picture?  But! 

Last edited by Kocolicious
Kocolicious posted:

Dude?  You NEED to put that on a tee-shirt and sell it.  I'm serious.  A lotta folks forget this is the routine.  Put it out there.  Wear it.  And people will get the sense that they cannot stop until justice prevails.  Cuz look around.  Where is the celebrity OUTRAGE?  Clooney went across the Atlantic Ocean to protest about a war in Sudan where there's a war right in America.  He hasn't said a word.  Neither has Samuel Jackson, Will Smith, Wesley Snipes, Lawrence Fishburne, Anthony Anderson, Kevin Hart, Sidney Poiter[he's STILL alive], Denzel Washington, Ice T[hell he wrote a rap song about the police], Shemar Moore, Steve Harris, Steve Harvey, Harry Belafonte[he walked to Selma], Fred Wliiamson[he's still alive...right?],  Joe Morton, Courtney Vance, Chris Rock [where is his bugle horn?]all the other  current actors and actresses like Halley Berry, Vannessa Williams, Regina King, Angela Bassett, Paula Patton, Jada Pinkett[what she only cared about her husband getting an Oscar and not the many deaths of black people?] and the rest of the black actresses and comedians male and female I can't think of their names right now.  Where the fock are they?  And why are they soooooooooooooo quiet?  You can hear a pin drop around Hollywood.    Your post above my brotha?  Is huge.   It's goes straight to the heart....and will compel action.  I mean don't believe me?  Test it.  And see.  Cuz all these protests and demonstration is doing but giving police overtime.  And again...they are being paid to harm black folks.  So. As I've been saying... we need a new strategy cuz all I see are coward black folks in the entertainment field to SCARED to be a voice like our ancestors were a voice for us.  What's wrong with this picture?  But! 

And African Americans will be nothing but FOOLS for paying to see any of them, any of their movies, or shows, or for buying any of their products or any products they endorse.

BOYCOTT BLACK PEOPLE THAT DUCK AND COVER

BOYCOTT BLACK PEOPLE THAT DON'T GIVE A DAMN

BOYCOTT THEIR MOVIES, TV SHOWS, PRODUCTS/COMPANIES SPONSORING THEIR SHOWS,

BOYCOTT THEIR MUSIC, CONCERTS, BOYCOTT ANY PUBLISHER, NEWSPAPER, WEBSITE, ETC., THAT GIVES THEM AN OUNCE OF PUBLICITY OR EXPOSURE.  

Boycott everything. Entertainers and Entertainment died long time ago. Today all there is, is noise, prostitution, vaginal glimpses to a beat and blurple inkwell's looking like mice making millions; doing "Damn if I Know!"

I'm THROUGH with all the CORPSES of television. Love you Dr. Blue and your "brothers" in Houston, TX. Every now and then, I'll watch a Big Cat make a kill if I can stomach that in Africa or watch some killer whales.

I play the music I like by the singers I like beside me on my MP3 that I don't know how to record on, but the grands do, and my CD's that I buy from AMAZON by singers that can SING past age 65 (I take that back; except a couple; males only).

Am asleep in less than 10 minutes. It's G.R.E.A.T.

Last edited by Norland

@Sista Sunnubian....you're exactly right!  Let's start boycotting the black people who have run for cover.  Boycott their music, movies, etc.  I wish I could post a sign during a protest that says....where are our black celebrities?  on the front.  If they're not  here for us....we won't be there for them.  With a cross through the film and music symbols.  On the back.  Cuz it appears that will be the ONLY way to get their attention.  But!

Last edited by Kocolicious
Kocolicious posted:

@Sista Sunnubian....you're exactly right!  Let's start boycotting the black people who have run for cover.  Boycott their music, movies, etc.  I wish I could post a sign during a protest that says....where are our black celebrities?  on the front.  If they're not  here for us....we won't be there for them.  With a cross through the film and music symbols.  On the back.  Cuz it appears that will be the ONLY way to get their attention.  But!

And don't forget ourBlack politicians [ESPECIALLY THE CONGRESSIONAL BLACK CAUCUS] who are conspicuously quite as these racist LYNCHINGS continue to take place, and don't forget America's Black lawyers who are not saying or doing a damn thing about the prosecutorial misconduct, abuse of authority, abuse of process, and miscarriages of justice taking place; remember their asses too, when it comes to VOTING and which lawyers you give your money to. 

Last edited by sunnubian

Reaching the Breaking Point: When is Enough…Enough?

Isaiah Washington [Facebook)
Isaiah Washington (Facebook)

Actor Isaiah Washington offered a solution to the ongoing police brutality against African-Americans.

The former “Grey’s Anatomy” star posted a call to action on Facebook Sept. 20 urging Black Americans who are “really fed up” to refrain from going to sporting events, government buildings and working.

“Imagine if every single African American in the United States that was really fed up with being angry, sad and disgusted, would pick ONE DAY to simply ‘stay at home’ from every single job, work site, sports arena and government office in the United States of America,” he wrote.

“I’m very sure that within 72 hours from Wall Street to the NFL…Black Lives Would Matter.

Isaiah Washington
on Tuesday

Imagine if every single African American in the United States that was really fed up with being angry, sad and disgusted, would pick ONE DAY to simply 'stay at home' from every single job, work site, sports arena and government office in the United States of America. I'm very sure that within 72 hours from Wall Street to the NFL...Black Lives Would Matter. September 26, 2016 is THE DAY. #ItsTime #CanWeDoIt? #ACallToAction#StayAtHomeSeptember262016 #RIPTerenceCrutcher#HandsUpDontShoot #Missing24

Washington’s statement wraps with several hashtags including #ItsTime and #RIPTerenceCrutcher.

The latter hashtag is in reference to Terence Crutcher. He is the Tulsa, Oklahoma man whopolice shot and killed after he asked for help with his stalled vehicle.

Additionally, Washington noted the date Sept. 26 as the day African-Americans should boycott.

Some of the 53-year-old’s fans voiced support for the movement, but many others disagreed about its effectiveness.

On the supportive side, Taiwo Williams thought it should also span worldwide.

isaiah-washington-support-4

Erania McClelland “loved” the idea.

isaiah-washington-support-6

And Julia Thomas backed it completely.

isaiah-washington-support-1

However, several fans poked holes in the demonstration and took issue with potentially losing their jobs or not making a big enough impact.

Erinn Rochelle thought there would not be enough Black participants to “make a dent.”

isaiah-washington-no support-1

Mike Acholonu felt Black NFL athletes refraining from playing “would be better.”

isaiah-washington-no support-2

Christian Lee thought that ending professional football and basketball – where Black athletes make up the majority of the players – would force a change.

isaiah-washington-no support-3

Sincerly Spontaniouse thought Washington’s plan was good in theory. Still, she expressed the desire to keep her employment and turned the task to the “rich and famous people.”

isaiah-washington-no support-4

Meanwhile, Traveon Ramey shared he was the only Black person in his office and thought “they wouldn’t care” if he didn’t show.

isaiah-washington-no support-5

TAGS  #TerenceCrutcher call to action Facebook Post grey's anatomy actor Isaiah Washington Police brutality

OK, so now comes the NATIONAL GUARD! How does that work??? There are BLACK people in the NATIONAL GUARD sent to STOP the madness of their people because of bullets killing innocent BLACK MEN (their people) in the STREETS they're supposed to PROTECT!!!!! WTF???

Isn't this the same shit that went on during the Un-Civil War??? White folks against White folks?? Families against families?? Slaves burying their corpses? If I was in the National Guard heading to this shit; I can't IMAGINE what would be going through MY MIND!!!!!

Working with them damn near sent me over the edge. They would either have given me a Dishonorable Discharge or sent me for 50 years of Solitary Confinement, after about one month and one half. I'd have lost my ever loving mind in the Kilitary. I don't take orders that well in the first damn place.

I'll bet the National Guard brothers and sisters are humming a bit!!!!!!

"Is we sick Massa?"

Last edited by Norland

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.