Your digression has merit, Ms. Virtue!
The highly refined-visible nature and political standing of the women is evidenced by the number of female Pharoahs:
1. The first 'female' known to be pharoah: Meryt-Neith (1st Dynasty c3000bc)
2. Nitocris (6th Dynasty 2148-44BC)
3. Sobeknofru (12th Dynasty ?1757-1759BC)
4. Hatshepsut (18th Dynasty c1473-1458BC)--Yes, with certainty she did rule as Pharoah.
5. Neferitit (18th Dynasty 1336BC) possible, but not certain.
6. Twosret (19th Dynasty 1187-1185BC)
7. Cleopatra (51BC)