quote:Originally posted by One:Hazards of Fastingquote:Originally posted by Khalliqa:
Health Benefits of Fasting
If fasting is overused, it may create depletion and weakness, lower resistance, and allow diseases to begin. Certain people are not good candidates for fasting or cleansing. Others may enjoy fasting so much that they overindulge in it and take it beyond the limits of normal elimination, resulting in protein and other nutritional deficits, reduced immunity, and loss of energy. While fasting allows the organs, tissues, and cells to rest, clean house, and handle excesses, the body needs the nourishment provided by food to function after it has used its stores.
Many people of the world are involuntary fasters, while those of the Western nations are more likely to be feasters. In Third World countries, many starvation deaths result from the disease of protein deficiency, termed kwashiorkor, and protein-calorie malnutrition, known as marasmus. What happens to these people is what happens with chronic fasting"”loss of muscle mass, weight, and energy, and finally swelling and death.
I found this interesting because the diet given to us by the Messenger (if properly followed) does not result in this phenom. Also, as I read further, I saw that the good Dr. calls drinking juices for the term of the fast "fasting", when it really is not. The digestive system requires rest. The period which one gives to rest the digestive system is called a "fast". By drinking juices throughout the process, the digestive system is constantly working. It is the resting of the digestive system which allows the acids in the stomach to break down the toxins in one's systems, in conjunction with resting the system; this produces good health. The fast should not be weight oriented. It is good that we have been able to master this skill, while our slave-master's child are slaves to their appetites. They were not made to live long lives and delight in shortening our lives with their contrary way of existence.
Thank you for the article, as there is much information in it that we can learn from. The best information I have found is in the book "How to eat to live".
Agreed... It was not my intention to place misleading information... my intentions was to post it as a support... not as a replacement...
Benefits of Fasting
Dr. Cinque's Facts about Fasting
Definition: "Fasting is the complete abstinence from all substances except pure water, in an environment of total rest."
These are some of the benefits of fasting, according to Dr. Ralph Cinque, who has experience with full-time therapeutic fasting supervision since 1976.
For more in-depth information about fasting, see the recommended reading list.
Health Benefits of Fasting
1. Fasting initiates rapid weight loss with little or no hunger. Most people are surprised at how little desire for food they have while fasting.
2. Fasting promotes detoxification. As the body breaks down its fat reserves, it mobilizes and eliminates stored toxins.
3. Fasting gives the digestive system a much-needed rest. After fasting, both digestion and elimination are invigorated.
4. Fasting promotes the resolution of inflammatory processes, such as in rheumatoid arthritis.
5. Fasting quiets allergic reactions, including asthma and hay fever.
6. Fasting promotes the drying up of abnormal fluid accumulations, such as edema in the ankles and legs and swelling in the abdomen.
7. Fasting corrects high blood pressure without drugs. Fasting will normalize blood pressure in the vast majority of cases, the blood pressure will remain low after the fast, if the person follows a health-supporting diet and lifestyle.
8. Fasting makes it easy to overcome bad habits and addictions. Many people have overcome tobacco and alcohol addictions by fasting, and even drug addictions. Fasting rapidly dissipates the craving for nicotine, alcohol, caffeine and other drugs.
9. Fasting clears the skin and whitens the eyes. It is common to see skin eruptions clear while fasting, and the whites of the eyes never look so clear and bright as they do after fasting.
10. Fasting restores taste appreciation for wholesome natural foods. People say that their taste buds come alive after fasting and that food never tasted so good.
11. Fasting is the perfect gateway to a healthful diet and lifestyle. Going on a fast gives you the motivation and enthusiasm to make a fresh start.
Note: Despite the name, juice fasting is not classified as fasting proper. Juice fasting is better described as juice diet, since it is concentrated nutrition rather than abstinence from nutrition. Juice fasting is also extremely beneficial, but can not be compared to water fasting. I also supervise juice fasting / juice diets at my health retreat. For example juice diets are often used just before and after therapeutic (water) fasts. And juice diets can be used when water fasting is not possible for certain patients.
For comments or questions - e-mail DoctorCinque@hotmail.com
Dr. Cinque's Health Retreat
Fasting - Detoxification - Juice Diets - Vegan Diets
Health Improvement - Addictions - Weightloss
305 Verdin Drive, Buda, Texas 78610
Copyright © Ralph Cinque. All rights reserved. http://www.drcinque.com