Random Thoughts

quote:
Originally posted by ocatchings:

Given our "immediate success" in Iraq is not happening very quickly, why are we all of a sudden threatening Iran with force if they do not comply to the nuke issue? If I'm correct, the Iranians are a bit more "fanatical" than the Iraqi's.


catch


Time to kick some mo ass!
I didn't want to disrespect the posting for Ossie Davis' funeral.

I don't know what to call it; pet peeve, nagging irritant, personal quirk, but....

This kind of thing still bothers me. I wonder which one the several contributors (writers/journalists) to the piece wrote this: "...Wynton Marsalis played the jazz trumpet,..."

It's so tiresome.

PEACE

Jim Chester
quote:
Originally posted by Kweli4Real:
I was reading the post by O.A. about the Congo and began thinking about the sister that used to post from there. Has anyone heard from her?


That's my friend...She is the one who told me about this site and sent me the link. I saw her Sunday and speak to her often...She's fine. She isn't on the net posting as much but she still reads this site quite often.
quote:
Originally posted by Kweli4Real:
It appears that this administration is doing whatever it can to bring about the final battle of good and evil foretold in their reading of their bible. Has it never occurred to them that they're not going to be sitting on some cloud watching the event?


Ain't that the truth...
I'm posting this here because I can't think of another, more appropriate place.

(Please forgive the discconnectedness of this, but my head is spinning with rage)

I just got off the phone with a close friend. About a 8 months ago, she left a job to return to New York because her mother was dying of cancer. (My friend's 19 year old daughter and 1 year old grand-daughter followed her to New York.) She got there and her mother spent the next two months in and out of the hospital. The mother died about 4 months ago. With no job (although the daughter held down a minimum wage retail job) and no where to go, my friend decided to remain in her mother's rent controlled apartment until she put together some money and found someplace else to go.

Well, within a month of her mother's death, the landlord told her to get out. He locked her out. He cut off the water to the apartment. He threatened her. (All of which are unlawful) Finally, he served my friend with eviction papers. Last week, at the proceeding, the judge gave her until the middle of March to vacate the apartment.

Well, shortly after the landlord began his illegal campaign to get them out the daughter began taking her a bit of each check and prepared to return to Arizona. My friend found a job in another state that would begin where ever she could get there.

The daughter took whatever she afford, after food, diapers and other necessities, and rented an apartment in Arizona. She is only $45 from having paid the unit's 1st, last months rent plus the security deposit. She had found a $95.00 flight for her daughter and herself and planned to purchase it with her next paycheck

Well, on Saturday, they noticed that the grand-daughter was acting like she was coming down with something. At 2:00a.m., They woke to find the grand-daughter burning with fever. They hustled her to the emergency room at found that she had 105 tempature. While the doctor worked to get the grand-daughter's tempature down, he noticed the daughter's eye was inflamed and weeping. The doctor examined her and diagnosed the daughter with pink-eye. They also were told that medicaid had cancelled they medical insurance. So the hospital gave them a $300.00 bill and three prescriptions totalling $400. My friend asked for some samples for the prescriptions. The doctor's response, "We don't have any. You'll just have to spend cash." Well, that didn't go over well. When my friend spoke with the patient advocate, her response was, "It ain't my fault you ain't got no insurance."

Well, the next morning the daughter went to work - pink-eye and all. She was there about 20 minutes before she was sent home and told not to return until the pink-eye was cured.

In the meantime, my friend went to the welfare office to find out about the insurance. She was told that the insurance was cancelled because my friend had missed a re-certification appointment. When my friend told the worker that she had not received any notice of the meeting, the work said, "Oh, that's because your landlord sent the department notice that [my friend] had been evicted and had vacated the apartment. We didn't have any place to send the notice." My friend asked whether the department had tried to call her. The response, "For what? If you're evicted, you wouldn't have a home to answer the phone." My friend then, asked for emergency assistance to purchase the medicine for her daughter and grand-daughter. The department refused saying that they couldn't provide that kind of help. They would however, reinstate her for next month.

After an hour of arguing with the worker, my friend began the 8 mile walk home, in the rain. She stopped into a store to rest. While resting, my friend saw some eye-wash. She told me that her thinking went toward her daughter - "if her pink-eye is cured, she can go back to work. The daughter then could buy her daughter's medicine and eventually get back to Arizona."

Well, she pocketed the eye-wash ... and got caught. She now has a court date.

It sickens me that our system has BILLIONS for foriegn adventures, we have billions for tax cuts for the rich, all the while, we have an administration whose budget priorities push folks that already have their plates full to choose between surviving, i.e., breaking the law, or, just rolling over.

There I've ranted and vented ... and I'm still pissed.

Can anyone honestly say they wouldn't have taken the eye-wash?

If you sat on a jury, would you vote to convict under these circumstances?

Tell me am I too close to this?
This is so outrageous I kept waiting for you to say, "I'm just kidding."

Clearly, you are not kidding.

I would have been in jailed back when the hospital worker told me about not being at fault cause I didn't have insurance.

Yes, I would have taken the eye wash. Maybe two.

Seems like there should be a haven for such deserving cases.

PEACE

Jim Chester
Looking for Alternative Black Voices



I would like to invite you to join my yahoo group and participate in challenging discussions of Black sexuality, culture, race and history. I'm looking for Africentrists, Pan Africanists, Black Nationalists, Black Vegans, metaphysicians and practitioners of West African Spirituality (or any spiritual practice that isn't Judeo Christian based). I'm looking for outspoken Black activists that are Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual or Transgendered to share their experiences and perspectives. I'm looking for anyone that can come to the table with sound reasoning that can articulate why slavery is the origin of the social ills of African Americans today. I need participants that are willing to shatter the perception that money and material gain give one value. I need the small percentage of the Black population that has attempted to dismantle their vestiges of mental slavery and free their minds to join me in the debate of all things Black and sexual.



Peace and many blessings.



http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AfroerotiK/
quote:
Originally posted by Kweli4Real:
Can anyone honestly say they wouldn't have taken the eye-wash?


I would have done the same thing...

quote:
If you sat on a jury, would you vote to convict under these circumstances?


Hell no I wouldn't convict. I personally think the government should be "on trile".

quote:
Tell me am I too close to this?


You aren't too close. Anyone who is human should be pissed.
Peace....

As much as I love my people, I still must say that our men have become pretty much useless. Many black men are just plain good for nothing.

You would be a fool to trust many of our men with any responsibility. This is definitely a fool's bet.

We have mastered the art of excuse making, and some of our women have helped convert our brothers into P zombies by allowing them to stay at home and do nothing while she works.

Grown men sleep at home at 12:00 p.m. with absolutely nowhere to be. Grown men with a giant bowl of fruity pebbles, and a game console on a monday morning, is just insane to me.

These brotehrs, have the luxury of doing nothing, and receiving the love of many of our best women, while hard working, productive men go under appreciated.

Right now there is a brother sitting on a couch, with corn rows, a blunt, a forty ounce on the table, no job, no money, with a beautiful black women in the kitchen cooking his favorite meal...

I completely fail to understand....is thug passion really that important?

Anyway...even when these brothers come under pressure to produce, they quickly demonstrate how underdeveloped they are. I mean seriously, hiring these brothers is like a punishment....

Anyway...it is just crazy as hell...

the black community needs a system for redemption...Or we need to understand why the prison industry is growing...As we are, many of our men are good for nothing but crime, and the natural result, jail time.


Once again, I love my people, however, they frustrate the hell out of me sometimes...However, I have faith that we will rise...I pray that I see this day.



Kai
quote:
Originally posted by Kai:
Peace....

As much as I love my people, I still must say that our men have become pretty much useless. Many black men are just plain good for nothing.

You would be a fool to trust many of our men with any responsibility. This is definitely a fool's bet.

We have mastered the art of excuse making, and some of our women have helped convert our brothers into P zombies by allowing them to stay at home and do nothing while she works.

Grown men sleep at home at 12:00 p.m. with absolutely nowhere to be. Grown men with a giant bowl of fruity pebbles, and a game console on a monday morning, is just insane to me.

These brotehrs, have the luxury of doing nothing, and receiving the love of many of our best women, while hard working, productive men go under appreciated.

Right now there is a brother sitting on a couch, with corn rows, a blunt, a forty ounce on the table, no job, no money, with a beautiful black women in the kitchen cooking his favorite meal...

I completely fail to understand....is thug passion really that important?

Anyway...even when these brothers come under pressure to produce, they quickly demonstrate how underdeveloped they are. I mean seriously, hiring these brothers is like a punishment....

Anyway...it is just crazy as hell...

the black community needs a system for redemption...Or we need to understand why the prison industry is growing...As we are, many of our men are good for nothing but crime, and the natural result, jail time.


Once again, I love my people, however, they frustrate the hell out of me sometimes...However, I have faith that we will rise...I pray that I see this day.



Kai



Kai, it's a first.... We're in complete agreement here Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Kai:
Peace....

As much as I love my people, I still must say that our men have become pretty much useless. Many black men are just plain good for nothing.

You would be a fool to trust many of our men with any responsibility. This is definitely a fool's bet.

We have mastered the art of excuse making, and some of our women have helped convert our brothers into P zombies by allowing them to stay at home and do nothing while she works.

Grown men sleep at home at 12:00 p.m. with absolutely nowhere to be. Grown men with a giant bowl of fruity pebbles, and a game console on a monday morning, is just insane to me.

These brotehrs, have the luxury of doing nothing, and receiving the love of many of our best women, while hard working, productive men go under appreciated.

Right now there is a brother sitting on a couch, with corn rows, a blunt, a forty ounce on the table, no job, no money, with a beautiful black women in the kitchen cooking his favorite meal...

I completely fail to understand....is thug passion really that important?

Anyway...even when these brothers come under pressure to produce, they quickly demonstrate how underdeveloped they are. I mean seriously, hiring these brothers is like a punishment....

Anyway...it is just crazy as hell...

the black community needs a system for redemption...Or we need to understand why the prison industry is growing...As we are, many of our men are good for nothing but crime, and the natural result, jail time.


Once again, I love my people, however, they frustrate the hell out of me sometimes...However, I have faith that we will rise...I pray that I see this day.



Kai


I can co-sign on this one.
Peace....


Sister, while there are those who would delight in your misery, there are others who sincerely wish the best for you...

Some people are created with great reservoirs of strength and it rises to aid them in times of need...I know that you are such a person..

all possibilities are available to you...



Kai
quote:
Originally posted by Kai:
Peace....


Sister, while there are those who would delight in your misery, there are others who sincerely wish the best for you...

Some people are created with great reservoirs of strength and it rises to aid them in times of need...I know that you are such a person..

all possibilities are available to you...



Kai
Thank you for your concern Kai.... I'll be fine....

Taking one day at a time...

Peace,
Virtue
quote:
Originally posted by Black Viking:
Catholics say that it's perfectly okay to be homosexual, so long as you don't actually practice homosexuality.

IMO, that's fair... since I think it's perfectly okay to be Catholic, so long as you don't actually practice Catholicism.


appl
I think that america has massive RACE issues....as you can tell by this board. and also people need to stop hateing on eachother im so bored of hearin black men this black women that.. its so boring . and people like kai need to stop going on like all black men are then same because there not.!
quote:
Originally posted by Black Viking:
Catholics say that it's perfectly okay to be homosexual, so long as you don't actually practice homosexuality.

IMO, that's fair... since I think it's perfectly okay to be Catholic, so long as you don't actually practice Catholicism.



Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Dizzy_Daniella:
I think that america has massive RACE issues....as you can tell by this board. and also people need to stop hateing on eachother im so bored of hearin black men this black women that.. its so boring . and people like kai need to stop going on like all black men are then same because there not.!




We live in a race driven society.

Yes America has race issues.......and will never be cleared, until blacks in this country are treated with 'respect'.

Now just think........

If YOU are tired of hearing about it, just imagine LIVING it on a daily basis...........Yes being judge just because of the color of your skin.......gets TIRING!!!
Life is so uncertain. A woman I grew up with and knew very well died in her sleep a few days ago. She laid-down to take a nap and didn't wake up. Her daughter found her.

That's why I don't put much stock in life expectancy. There have been too many people I've known who died before the age of 50. I'm beginning to truly grasp the saying "lived each moment as if it were your last."
quote:
Originally posted by Len:
Life is so uncertain. A woman I grew up with and knew very well died in her sleep a few days ago. She laid-down to take a nap and didn't wake up. Her daughter found her.

That's why I don't put much stock in life expectancy. There have been too many people I've known who died before the age of 50. I'm beginning to truly grasp the saying "lived each moment as if it were your last."



I know how you feel. One of my co workers died at 39 of colon cancer just a few months ago and my principal's daughter died at 16 of cancer. So we all should live each momment as if it were our last.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×